Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-09-2021, 08:12   #46

Re: sailing knife

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
Then you see the antique knife display at the second hand Chandlers.
BTDT
You really are a trouble-maker, aren't you.
A CheeseHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2021, 08:45   #47
Marine Service Provider

Boat: home built 31' Hartley Tasman

I used a stainless knife that had two options, a good sharp three inch blade that I could use to cut rope with, and a three inch spike tapered to a point for a variety of uses, but mainly to tighten or undo shackles...and come to think of it, I have not seen it in a long time.... it always hung on a lanyard on my port companionway grab rail... anybody seen it???
sailorladd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2021, 09:01   #48
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorladd View Post
I used a stainless knife that had two options, a good sharp three inch blade that I could use to cut rope with, and a three inch spike tapered to a point for a variety of uses, but mainly to tighten or undo shackles...and come to think of it, I have not seen it in a long time.... it always hung on a lanyard on my port companionway grab rail... anybody seen it???
Look like this one ?
Always on my hip. Makes the beer money in about every marina I resupply in
Amazing how many that don't know how to braid lines .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210917_085849.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	415.6 KB
ID:	245466  
Old 17-09-2021, 09:06   #49
Marine Service Provider

Boat: home built 31' Hartley Tasman

Yup, it was the same model!
sailorladd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2021, 09:46   #50

I have a regular serrated blade rust proof diving knife and the Skipper Swiss Army knife. The Skipper has a few boating specific tools I find useful like pliers, marlin spike and shackle tool useful for working knots and shackles. Both are tethered (tether is in PFD pocket) to my PFD as they are pricy to lose overboard.
RichardGSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2021, 11:14   #51

Boat: Bavaria 36'

My friend had a rope around his prop and dived to cut the mess of cordage through. After the failure of various sharp knives to get through the stuff he raided the cutlery drawer and took the serrated bread knife to it. The longer length made short work of the mess.

As an aside be wary of knives with sharp points. Consider how often you need a point. And consider if you are using one around a life jacket or inflatable dinghy or when the boat is rocking and rolling.
Bill_Giles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2021, 11:17   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
I have taken to wearing a Leatherman Wave in a belt sheath. Keep the main blade razor sharp and it cuts a line quite easily although I haven't tried it on Dyneema which I hear can be tough to cut.

Like a multitool better than just a knife as it has a lot more uses. Pliers work to open tight shackle pins, screwdrivers save a trip below to dig out a toolbox for small jobs.

The Wave is good but not perfect. My biggest complaint is that the pliers will pinch your finger and I mean draw serious blood if you aren't very careful in how you hold them. The Gerber multitool is much better made and designed (no pinching) but all the blades and tools are a good bit smaller than the Wave which seems to be just the right size.
Agreed- although I buy a $25?knockoff on Amazon as I work on boats & they get dropped overboard…rhe serrated blade makes quick work of dynema & blows through sta-set like butta…
Sofa King Fishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2021, 11:33   #53

Boat: Rafiki 37

I just completely a small repair on my car. Had to fix the aft window wiper/washer. Involved a bit of electrical, a bit of mechanical and a bit of plumbing. The only tool I used was my Leatherman Charge.

Old 17-09-2021, 12:27   #54

This is what crabbers on the Bering Sea carry, and so do I.

https://dexter1818.com/sofgrip-8-tiger-edge-slicer/

https://dexter1818.com/ws-1-traditio...up-to-9-blade/
Gypsyjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2021, 12:53   #55

Boat: Custom sailing catamaran

Swiss army knife Skippers for a long time now. Seldom needed anything else. They have a good blade that holds it's edge, and most of the bits you use all the time. A lot of the "rigging knives and other gadgets available are just "toys".
For cutting big ropes at work, nothing beats a hacksaw.
KJThomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2021, 13:05   #56
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

Quote:
Originally Posted by team karst View Post
Shockingly, no hits with the search function.

Is there a favorite out there? I'm going to assume that a serrated knife is better than a plain edge for cutting line.
Maybe a good question to ask is if a multi-tool is favored or a simple blade is better. I suppose we should include fishing/trolling uses too.
Multi-tools are great at sorta doing a lot of things.

I use a Myerchin https://www.defender.com/product.jsp?id=1343459 A good deck knife should open with one hand and lock/unlock easily.

Here is a good test, simulate going forward in sporty conditions —-stick you hand in cold water for 5-10 minutes, then turn off the lights- can you open the knife or fid of the knife you want to buy?
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2021, 04:49   #57

Boat: Schionning Cosmos 11.6m

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
I have taken to wearing a Leatherman Wave in a belt sheath. Keep the main blade razor sharp and it cuts a line quite easily although I haven't tried it on Dyneema which I hear can be tough to cut.

Like a multitool better than just a knife as it has a lot more uses. Pliers work to open tight shackle pins, screwdrivers save a trip below to dig out a toolbox for small jobs.

The Wave is good but not perfect. My biggest complaint is that the pliers will pinch your finger and I mean draw serious blood if you aren't very careful in how you hold them. The Gerber multitool is much better made and designed (no pinching) but all the blades and tools are a good bit smaller than the Wave which seems to be just the right size.
I agree and I like the Wave because I can open the primary blade with one hand. Some of the leatherman varieties require two hands.
Woodgate Beach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2021, 08:49   #58

So the bulk of my "sailing" has been aboard a more uncommon type of vessel...

I've always carried a Kershaw Amphibian, one hand opening with a semi serrated blade, a multi tool and a mini mag light. Yep a whole Bat-belt.

I've carried a Gerber, a Leatherman Wave, and a Leatherman wingman. Not all at the same time.

I still have the Kershaw, but stuck with the wingman. Belt clip and only the best tools the others offered. Needle nose pliers, screw driver bits and a small file.

I wouldn't be caught dead topsides after dark without all of them. Or any time really.
rexposeidon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2021, 13:52   #59

Boat: Hinckley, Bermuda 40 Mk III, 40'

I'm not a big fan of the multipurpose knives (Leatherman, Swiss army, etc.). I understand that many folks love them but I just find them awkward to use. If I need a pair of needle nose pliers - I get a pair. If I need a screwdriver - I get one.

I generally use three knives. The first is a 3" pocket knife (Buck, Oldtimer, etc.) that I keep in my pocket almost always for eating crabs, cutting small stuff, opening bags and boxes, removing painter's tape, sharpening pencils, whittling plugs (and other uses too many to list). The second is a sheathed knife - my father's old WWII 82nd Airborne jump knife. It has a blued blade and a leather handle and has held up quite nicely for it's age. The sheath is not in as good condition so I don't wear it much - just keep it where it's been since I was a boy - in the fishing tackle box. It's good because the belt slits in the sheath allow me to wear it around back so I can get to it with either hand. I use that for cutting heavier lines, carving wood, cleaning fish, etc. It has a flat pommel, so I can even use it to drive small tacks and nails in a pinch. The third one(s) are a couple of rigging knives (one's a "Captain Currey" I believe) that have a sheep's foot blade, a marlinspike and a shackle slit. I use those for, well, rigging chores.

Those are all I seem to need for everything I do with a knife on my boat.
rls8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2021, 15:37   #60

Boat: R&C Leopard 40

Boye https://www.boyeknives.com/
Always have one in my pocket. Sheepsfoot folder safest which we have. Normally use the pointer. Very handy but one thing I don’t like besides the price is the spike isn’t as useful as some others I’ve used.
Still love it.
Wait for the 2nds to be on sale.

Tags
sail, sailing