Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-09-2021, 17:48   #61

Boat: boatless currently
Re: sailing knife

Morakniv. Under $20.
Kamen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 15:21   #62

Boat: Boatless (for now)

Take a look at dive knives. I wear a dive/white water knife on my inflatable PFD/harness. Full length straight blade, half length serrathed other side, chisel tip. Dive knives are very corrosion resistant, locking sheath with belt or strap clip. A good on-deck knife, imho. Not so much in town or around the docks.
OZwingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 15:58   #63
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

Every xmas I get about a dozen leatherman tools, I have quite the collection of them now...folded up, they fit in a nice little pouch on your belt. I have so many now, there is one in every drawer, toolbox, shelf, etc. Though they look snazzy, I find their blades a bit dull.

But when I mean business, I reach for " Brutus", my venerable dive knife, showing some age now, but still the king of the pile. For one thing, it has a whopper big handle, making it easy to grip, with one or even two hands and serrated blade built like a tank.
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 16:42   #64

I will look into the cork floating knife. Looks useful.

For now, I favor the Myerchin Sailors tool (post #56) which is a great simple tool that gets the necessary jobs done.

I also use a skeletool but I removed the knife and added scissors making it TSA friendly.
Tip: clip it on the outside of your bag. Since I started doing that TSA hasn't stopped me once.
Sailbaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 13:27   #65

Boat: Bavaria 36'

In more than 50 years of sailing dinghies and keelboats and operating small power craft I have never had to use a knife in an emergency where I needed the knife immediately. I do carry a folding one on my lifejacket which also has a line cutter supplied with it. We also have a sharp serrated knife in a sheath by the companionway on our sailing cruiser and also have one handy on our little racing keelboat. The thought of walking around with a knife like Bowie strikes me as rather OTT unless you are a diver, although if I were a kite surfer I think that might call for one, although a hooked line cutter might actually be more useful.
Bill_Giles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 14:32   #66

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_Giles View Post
In more than 50 years of sailing dinghies and keelboats and operating small power craft I have never had to use a knife in an emergency where I needed the knife immediately..
I have and my Myrchin on a lanyard did the dirty work. My little Kershaw Scallion gets used daily. A Spyderco folder hangs on the binnacle.

Tags
sail, sailing