Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-03-2011, 13:02   #1

Boat: Bluewater 420 CC
Schaefer Boom and Foot Tension

I've read all the posts on Schaefer v Leisurefurl etc and had decided to fit a Schaefer furling boom to my boat being built. However the builder has told me of his experience with a similar spec boat to mine and a different brand of boom furler where he couldn't get proper foot tension on a reefed (ie partly furled) sail, in his opinion because with a reefed sail he could not apply any outhaul tension. His only solution in this instance was to sheet the boom down hard and this was problematic because of the proximity of the hard dodger/binimi fitted, which my boat will also have.

My question is for those experienced with the Schaefer furling boom. Is there a problem with the partly furled sail and lack of outhaul tension and if so, how do you manage it?

Thanks in Advance, I know I can rely on you guys,
Greg
Sabbatical II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 17:16   #2

Re: Schaefer Boom and Foot Tension

Or, has anyone with furling booms had their sailmaker fit cringles on the leech at say equal to 1st, 2nd and 3rd reef points so that you "jury rig" your own outhaul? Would that not work?

Greg
Old 10-03-2011, 17:29   #3

Boat: grampian 26

What eleebana said.
perchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 19:43   #4

Now there's 2 of us want to know the same thing. Have you all gone shy?
Old 10-03-2011, 20:54   #5

I have a Schaefer boom furler and have not any such problem. It reefs nicely. I'm assuming you're planning full length battens? These provide support to the foot (I usually reef so that a batten is just above the boom to minimize chafe on the batten stitching - this has the effect of tightening the foot).

I suspect that the builder's experience was also due to an incorrectly cut sail. Schaefer provides very detailed sailmaker instructions that need to be followed. I would look around for a sailmaker with extensive experience with furling booms - hopefully Schaefer. I would ask him to call Schaefer and ask questions. My understanding is that Schaefer is easier than Leisurefurl for the sailmaker because the excellent mast track and feeder is much easier on luff tapes.

With any furling boom you need to keep exactly the right boom angle or the sail will try to walk when being furled. Schaefer uses a rigid boom vang that is part of the gooseneck support. You don't adjust this underway. The builder's description of cranking down on the boom is certainly not my procedure.

The fixed boom vang also means that the sail maker has to be especially careful with the leech construction to avoid a hooked or open leech. For this reason, my leech has extra reinforcement to minimize stretch. Insist that the sailmaker get things right such that your leech is good at each reef spot. Mine is.

My mainsail has much better shape than I ever had in my last boat with a mast furling system (and that had vertical battens). I also have a huge powerful roach. The Schaefer furler has never given me a moment's problem.

Carl
CarlF is online now   Reply With Quote