Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Deck hardware: Rigging, Sails & Hoisting
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 2.33 average. Display Modes
Old 12-07-2011, 12:33   #31

Boat: Albin 40 double cabin Trawler
Re: Sea Scouts Seek Advice On 1/2" SS Turnbuckles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whimsy View Post

The reality is, despite what anyone, from the comfort of their keyboard, speculates will or might happen, I actually used lashings of this type to hold up a mast in very dynamic conditions, in storm and calm, for years, with NO problems whatsoever.

That's a moot point. The Sea Scouts have already stepped the mast and installed the turnbuckles they had based on the wire rope WLL being less than turnbuckle WLL. Seems to make sense and I doubt they will have problems with them. The boat is launched, the diesel fuel pump issue resolved, and things put relatively ship-shape. I speculate that lashings would have worked fine for them too, although I'm glad they have the SS gear. "Finding it easy" is probably not why they left the comfort of their homes to sail in boats - you maybe underestimate the resourcefulness, ability and experience of some of these individuals.

Unless anyone can provide evidence to the contrary, and I welcome all comments, when connecting a 1/4" SS wire rope stay or shroud to a SS chain plate on a sailboat via an adjustable device like a turnbuckle or lashing, the defining parameters of the connecting device requirement are the wire rope WLL and the chain plate WLL, not the boat brand or type.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 13:11   #32

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: Sea Scouts Seek Advice On 1/2" SS Turnbuckles

Whimsy,

I've never sailed a Wharram, so only going by the claims made by those who have. Seems that one of their lauded characteristics is flexibility, both of platform and rig. I would think that this would be fairly tolerant of slack or stretch in the shrouds.

The fairly tall deck stepped (from memory) mast of the Columbia will not be so tolerant.

Lashings, especially when done ad hoc via shackles instead of deadeyes will be hard to set up as tight as a rigging screw. To me, lashings seem a poor choice when proper rigging screws are available.

In jury rigs I agree that they are appropriate, and have used one myself when a baby stay broke on Insatiable one on a passage between Bora Bora and Hawaii. They are also appropriate on gaffers with pole masts and other traditional rigs which do not rely on very tight rigging to keep slender masts in column.

Meanwhile, I'm glad that the Scouts have solved their problems. It is quite possible that I have underestimated their experience/resourcefullness/ability. From the original question, it seemed like it could be scanty. In such cases I tend to be conservative in what I suggest.

Cheers,

Jim