Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-03-2020, 19:37   #16

Boat: Tartan 28
Re: Self tailing winch for halyards at mast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djarraluda View Post
I was only referring to load on sail re the effort to hoist. As Jim says, boom weight is obviously not going to stress the sail. Other advantage of using the topping lift is to avoid damage to heads and coach roof etc as the boom starts to lift from a resting position.
I see many boats now with a short feather from clew today backstages, I do not count that as a topping lift. Mind you, I am one who always uses a boom crutch when moored does I need the topping lift to raise boom and allow me to remove the crutch.
Our boat has a normal topping lift to the masthead, but even when pulled tight it doesn't lift the boom higher than necessary to raise the sail fully. And when sailing the full weight of the boom is on the leach of the sail anyway, not to mention pressure of wind. I typically just leave the topping lift connected and tight, as enough slack is generated once the sail is raised to keep it out of the way. I just mentioned to the OP as a possible reason for extra tension on the halyard the last little bit. We have no issues with it.
zemurray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 20:29   #17

Boat: Columbia 50

I had a cape dory 28, with a cleat - that’s it. Final tensioning was done by hooking the line under the cleat, pulling the halyard away from the mast, then releasing while quickly taking in the slack around the cleat. Plenty of tension. As others have stated, you have friction issues to fix.....

Matt
mlydon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2020, 09:00   #18

Boat: Bristol 35.5 1978

Would echo what's already been said. Raising main on 1984 Catalina 27 was solely by hand w/o difficulty. Have mast winches (non-self-tailing) on current 35 footer and only use to get the head of the main up the last 6-8 inches depending on the ambient temperature...dont want to sweat too much ya know...
Hoodsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2020, 10:17   #19

Boat: Beneteau 331

This is good feed back. I'm starting to focus on the sheave and track.

I'll get a few of the shotgun mops that have loops on both end and run them up and down with a very light cleaner and then run dry lube up them.

I am very reluctant to drop the mast this season. I am already overwhelmed by this season's work and I am positive if I drop the mast it will take me down a rabbit hold of projects. I've thought of doing that next year. Repaint, new electronics, etc. etc.

I would never climb the mast while on the hard.

A cherry picker is available its costs something like $300 and I'm certain that I'll get in a situation where I get up there and then have to run to the store for something.
Tmacmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2020, 21:16   #20

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

I would think you could drop the mast for less than the cost of The cherry picker
Old 14-03-2020, 08:24   #21

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmacmi View Post
This is good feed back. I'm starting to focus on the sheave and track.

I'll get a few of the shotgun mops that have loops on both end and run them up and down with a very light cleaner and then run dry lube up them.

I am very reluctant to drop the mast this season. I am already overwhelmed by this season's work and I am positive if I drop the mast it will take me down a rabbit hold of projects. I've thought of doing that next year. Repaint, new electronics, etc. etc.

I would never climb the mast while on the hard.

A cherry picker is available its costs something like $300 and I'm certain that I'll get in a situation where I get up there and then have to run to the store for something.

OK if you aren't ready to drop the mast, how about testing the sheaves from deck level? Not foolproof, but if you hold both ends of the halyard and roll it back/forth thru the sheave does it feel like its hanging up/has resistance? If not too much focus on the track. Clean lube track.

What happened last year with the main up and you let the halyard loose? Does it drop rapidly/unimpeded? If not, you found your problem. At this point I don't remember if you have slugs or bolt rope up the mast, but check these for fit in the slot and see if there is any problem.

Another basic question, is your main a full batten? Are you totally luffed when attempting to raise the sail? I'm sure you already gone through this in your head, but trying to understand whats going on w/o actually being there when it happens.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mast, winch, halyard, self tailing