Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-12-2011, 15:08   #1

Boat: Seafarer 26
Self tailing winchs

I got to use a self tailing winch for the first time. They are simple to use. My only question is for single handling. I currently use regular winches with a claw cleat further aft. It allows instant release of a sheet when needed while you are sitting or standing behind the wheel. I did not see how that instant control would be possible with a self tailing but I only got to tighten it not loosen and four of us where onboard to manage everything. How does that work alone?
Dkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2011, 15:12   #2

Boat: Niagara 35
Re: Self tailing winchs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dkdoyle View Post
I got to use a self tailing winch for the first time. They are simple to use. My only question is for single handling. I currently use regular winches with a claw cleat further aft. It allows instant release of a sheet when needed while you are sitting or standing behind the wheel. I did not see how that instant control would be possible with a self tailing but I only got to tighten it not loosen and four of us where onboard to manage everything. How does that work alone?
You just pull it out of the self tailing bit at the top to release it. If the winch is out of your reach and you have a cleat that's close, then you can use the self-tailing to wind in the sheet, then remove the line from the tailer and cleat it off nearby for quick release.
cwyckham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2011, 15:23   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwyckham

You just pull it out of the self tailing bit at the top to release it. If the winch is out of your reach and you have a cleat that's close, then you can use the self-tailing to wind in the sheet, then remove the line from the tailer and cleat it off nearby for quick release.
Appreciate it. That's kind of what I thought or sit in front of the wheel so you can reach it.
Old 20-12-2011, 15:40   #4

Boat: Niagara 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dkdoyle View Post
Appreciate it. That's kind of what I thought or sit in front of the wheel so you can reach it.
That would work too! My strong preference when short handed is to have a decent autopilot or self steering rig so that you are free to trim sails, navigate, etc. But sometimes, when things go all pear shaped you need to be able to run anround and dump sheets and steer, etc. On my boat, that's more easily accomplished from in front of the wheel, sometimes with one hand on the wheel behind me, turning me up into irons, or whatever.

Your cockpit may vary.
cwyckham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2011, 20:53   #5

Boat: Tartan 30 & Columbia 26

When single handing, I bend the jib sheet around the leeward winch and fasten it on the self tailer on the windward winch. Easier to get to for quick release on the uphill side of the boat. Doesn't work so well with crew aboard 'cause that sheet stretched accross the cockpit sort of gets in the way, but no problem when single handing.
wristwister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2011, 04:48   #6

Now that's also an excellent idea. Thanks
Old 21-12-2011, 04:58   #7

You could use the self-tailer while grinding, then remove the line from the self-tailer and hold it with the cam-cleat. I could see a use for this in situations where a quicker release, perhaps from across the cockpit, might be desirable.

On really lazy slow days I find myself sitting at the wheel, about 10 feet aft of the main sheet winch, trying to 'cowboy' the mainsheet either onto or off-of the self-tailer. I've gotten pretty good at it, but a cam-cleat might be easier ... but then what would I do for fun? Same with the spinnaker sheet.
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
self tailing