Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-06-2020, 06:27   #31

Boat: Tartan 37C
Re: Sewing machine needed !

Following
Captain Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 06:29   #32
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Seaton 60' Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stomp View Post
Just bit the bullet !!
Sailrite LZ 1 V3 on its way !! I've got grin on my face and now have a very skinny wallet!!!

Thanks to everyone for the help, information, stories, experiences, etc. Very much appreciated.
You'll be very happy; Sailrite is more than a machine, it's a company with stunningly good tech and user support. I don't think any company I work with is more helpful. I've had my LZ model for 20 years and it is still probably the best investment I've made.
Scott Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 06:55   #33

I have a Pfaff 130 with the hand crank, all in very nice condition. Will sell $300 FOB Spokane, Washington. Full disclosure: The stitch length is short, so it takes careful feeding to lengthen that enough for canvas, but if you are hand-cranking, you are already being careful. As for power with the electric motor, six layers of Sunbrella seems to be its maximum, though maybe a different needle would help that out. I have made many covers with it and it works, but I can't compare it with any others because I don't know any others. Currently also have a good Janome, but I have not gotten it to work yet.
psaltydogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 07:11   #34

I needed to repair some canvas and wanted to practice before doing any other upholstery work. I looked at the Sailrite and a few comparable machines.

I purchased this as I wasn't making sewing my career and I had no experience to speak of other than a class in HS decades ago. I was able to unbox the machine and complete my tasks in a few working hours with it.

I resewed some zippers where the thread had disintegrated and sewed in a zipper extension where the canvas had shrunk. Further, I cut out and replaced a vinyl window on a few panels.

I have no complaints and it's already paid for itself based on what some canvas companies wanted.

I can't speak to it being better or worse than the Sailrite, but I understand they use the same options. As someone said about the Sailrite, a bit more clearance under the foot would be helpful.

https://walking-foot.ca/product/omega-wf22zzmw/
Boat Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 07:23   #35

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stomp View Post
Thanks to everyone so far that has spent the time to give a bit of input on this topic, much appreciated. As I mentioned at the beginning of this thread I am a tradesman with lots of decade’s of working with tools and machines and various materials,but primarily with wood. My motto throughout my career has been to always buy good quality tools and equipment so as to make life easier and safer and to achieve the best results.
Having looked at lots of other machines and manufacturers it seems that I’m still drawn back to the Sailrite machine solely because of the comments made by so many satisfied sailors.
It’s just the price !!!!!!! My goodness they seem to know how to charge. We all know that boating and any equipment related to sailing is expensive and we have to pay a premium rightly or sometimes wrongly but blimey the initial purchase of this little puppy is painful. !!
Anyway..... before I take the plunge.........

Two things that someone might be able to reassure me on are

1/ Is the Sailrite machine susceptible to rusting due to the harsh environment on the salty seas we frequent?
2/ Is there enough space to get bulky items through the throat of the machine?(I have read a few articles where people have mentioned this as being a bit ‘tight’ for certain jobs)
Looking forward to any comments and tips ! ; )
I bought a Sailrite "Sailmaker" 26 years ago and installed it (with the box) in the bow area of my boat. It stays there, but it can slide out into the passageway so I can use it standing. It runs off the inverter or shore power. I also bought a ton of spare needles and quite a bit of thread, double sided sticky tape, and some spare parts (bobbin cage, etc). From other suppliers I bought several partial rolls of Sunbrella and different types of sailcloth.

I knew nothing about sewing or canvas work or sailmaking. My first project was repairing Judy's shorts. My second was a Kevlar mainsail for Wings. Both were successful.

Since then I have used that machine for all these years for many, many canvas and sail repair projects and a few sails from scratch and it has never failed. It shows some rust but only cosmetically. It has the same 110v motor it came with. There have been times it jammed or some part (usually related to the bobbins) has worn out, but with the original spares I had I was able to keep it going. One important point: The manuals from Sailrite enabled me to make all the adjustments. Without the manuals it would be frustrating if not impossible.

One more important point: The "Sailmaker" has a long arm and this is very important for sail repairs. I don't know how I would be able to do some of the things which were needed over the years with the LZ-1 and it's short arm. On the other hand it does not have a walking foot and that makes certain canvas jobs more difficult. So that is a dilemma, the Sailmaker is no longer available and the LZ-1, with walking foot, is but it does not have the big throat.

For me, because I now have experience with a sewing machine, I'd probably buy another brand, a rex or something, with availability of spareparts, and some good manuals, if I could find it.

But I love my Sailrite Sailmaker.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1417-Fred Sewing.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	468.9 KB
ID:	216361
Old 01-06-2020, 07:31   #36

Boat: Back Cove 33

You get what you pay for and you can either get the necessary thing the first time or do it over, with much inconvenience. I have a Sailrite zig zag machine with a walking foot (very important) and can attest that it is a workhorse, for the thickest canvas to the thinnest drapery fabrics. Their customer service is flawless in my experience. I have upholstered cushions, made canvas shades, inside drapes for the back sliding windows, Pfifertex and canvas covers for outside the windows, made bikinis, turned up pants, sewed tee shirt rips, fitted sheets and linens for berths, replaced zippers, repaired canvas bags, sail co ears, along with many more projects over the many years I have had this machine. I got the hard box, which I made a padded cover for and use it as a footstool on our BC 33. Tie it back to the seat corner when the boat moves.
Initially, I used an old Bernina that I had but quickly realized that the motor and the foot pressure wouldn’t hold the fabric, and the needle could not pierce the multiple canvas layers. So we bought the Sailrite and wondered if it would pay for itself. I can say without hesitation that it did, and I didn’t have to wait for, or find, a sail loft to fix or make stuff. Easy to get parts and ad ice if I’m stuck or can’t find the manual.
You need to decide exactly what projects you think you will do. Start simple, but something you really need.For example, I made Pfifertex covers for the outside windows of our boat to give us some sun protection. And canvas covers for storage. For those projects alone, which were quite easy because they are flat, the machine was worth it.
I don’t work for Sailrite to be clear, but I am a happy camper with their products. I also find it better to do these projects when I have the time, instead of waiting for someone to give me a quote and get to it many weeks later. When I first started boat projects and screwed up a big project, I scrapped the whole thing and, bought more fabric and did it over. It was still cheaper. Good luck.
Adiona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 07:36   #37

Boat: Pearson 422

I buy and refurbish old sewing machines I’m also a sailor I have tried four or five different machines to sew tarps and heavy canvas while some will work occasionally only the real sailright and I have the LSZ-1. It works flawlessly all the time. I’ve tried the Rex and other “industrial machines” that are sailright copies but they really aren’t. Sale right really has done several proprietary things to beef up their machine to make it capable of doing what as sailors we want to do. Check the sailright website they have come out with a newer low price version but I think the LSZ-1 is the best of both worlds. Any other industrial machine is going to be three times the cost as a matter fact sailright has those also.
Old 01-06-2020, 07:39   #38

Boat: 1982 Cal39 Mk 3

Reliable Barracuda. Much better price than the Sailrite brand but essentially the same machine. For me it isn't about whether the needle will penetrate but how the material slips under the feed dog. Trying to sew a 15' seam without slippage requires a walking foot. It may be possible without a walking foot but I couldn't make it work on a conventional machine. So far I have made a sail cover, a bimini, and curtains. Its a great little machine. No complaints. I recommend getting the larger fly wheel.
Cal39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 07:43   #39

Boat: Bruce Roberts Spray, 36' Steel Junk-Rigged Schooner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal39 View Post
Trying to sew a 15' seam without slippage requires a walking foot.
If you're doing heavy sewing machine work, a walking foot is a hindrance, imo. Better to learn without one from the start.
Old 01-06-2020, 07:59   #40

Baracuda 200ZW -- less than half the cost of Sailrite -- essentially the same machine.
jehatblueh2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 08:04   #41

Boat: Pearson 422

Sailright also has all the supplies and videos and
phenomenal customer service. Family owned business.
Great folks. I know this sounds like a commercial.
But I am truly a fan. Look for them on utube.
Old 01-06-2020, 08:11   #42

Boat: Hake 32RK

I use a cheap Singer with standard stitching adjustments Goes through 4 layers of Sunbrella and basting tape. If it dies just junk it and get another-change needles use the heavy duty ones and you’ll be fine unless you’re sewing leather or something really thick and its a lot less money and weight than Sailrite
Mauruuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 08:15   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauruuru View Post
I use a cheap Singer with standard stitching adjustments Goes through 4 layers of Sunbrella and basting tape. If it dies just junk it and get another-change needles use the heavy duty ones and you’ll be fine unless you’re sewing leather or something really thick and its a lot less money and weight than Sailrite
Nothing against Sailrite here, except their shipping prices outside the US and nearby countries. I would say though that basting tape is a waste of money. If you must use something, use instead the cheapest possible double sided tape - it dissolves away to practically nothing after a few months, which is a good thing.
Old 01-06-2020, 08:36   #44

Boat: Deerfoot 61
Smile Re: Sewing machine needed !

I can't believe no one has mentioned a Consew 206, one of the industry standards for sewing canvas. You see them in almost every canvas shop. You can find them used, refurbished, and new on the internet. I've seen them on Craigslist occasionally too. They are a walking foot, straight stitch, machine.

Sailrite is a fine company with fine products. I've owned two of their machines over the years. Still, I think I'd go with a Consew 206 if I was buying one today. They also hold their value, should you ever want to sell it, although this is true to some extent with the Sailrite machines too.
tdunlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 08:38   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdunlap View Post
They are a walking foot, straight stitch, machine.
Please see my previous comments about why this is unsuitable for anything but upholstery.

Tags
sewing machine