Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-06-2020, 14:33   #61

Boat: Bruce Roberts Spray, 36' Steel Junk-Rigged Schooner
Re: Sewing machine needed !

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuW View Post
A bit harsh to say that these are spam comments; a company like Sailrite has a lot of fans among owners of their sewing machines, with good reason.
Really? Right after Sailrite's office opened today, we had a load of people (most new to the forum with no/few post or info on their profiles) on this thread giving non-contextually relevant appraisals of Sailrite. This thread was asking for ALTERNATIVES to Sailrite. All CEO's have families, being a family run business doesn't make them ethical. I had no problem with them until this blatant behaviour.
Most of all, I feel patronised that they thought we wouldn't notice.
I have made $1000's of business for them over the year, but now I will avoid at all costs.
Old 01-06-2020, 14:53   #62
SuW

Boat: 1976 Bayfield 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnilias View Post
I purchased a Sailrite LSZ-1 last year and I have been quite disappointed. I ordered a 240V version to be shipped to Australia and was sent one with a European plug. It would have been a small matter for the company to include a plug adaptor with the delivery if they weren't prepared to include the correct cord, but when I phoned to suggest it to them, they were not interested.

The machine got out of alignment quite quickly in normal use and access to the internet is needed to see the Youtube videos to realign it - this is not something that is suitable for a cruising sailor.

And although it comes with a toolkit, Sailrite acknowledge in their Youtube videos that you need additional tools eg a flat screwdriver with a wide end and a shorter handle than the one supplied. Basically we had to go to hardware stores to buy tools in order to follow the re-alignment instructions. I'd bought it thinking I'd be set for long passages but in fact a sailmaker's palm is a better tool than a new Sailrite on a long passage unless you've already worked out what extra bits you need that they didn't send.

I've been left with the impression that this is a company that has great 'how to' videos but other than that is not interested in improvements to it's machine design - after a month or so of using it I could see a number of ways it could be improved. If I was making the decision on what to buy again I'd make the most of their 'how to' videos but I'd pick another brand of machine.
I hope that you are having better luck with your machine now. There are a couple of 3 inch long flat screwdrivers that came with mine, for example to change the needle, and there are, I think two small Allen keys (hex keys) that you need to change the timing and stuff. I had to buy these, I think, although one came with a binding tool. I don't know the sizes. I use normal large and small crosshead screwdrivers to remove the covers for oiling.

The rotational timing was something I struggled with for a bit.
I found the set screws on the shuttle driver (I think) were hard to get both tightened at the same time - a lot of fiddling around, finally I did it:
Access to one screw is through the bottom of the shuttle assembly. For access to the second screw, you have to loosen the compression clamp and rotate the shuttle assembly and move the balance wheel to bring the screw to the front - otherwise it is inaccessible.

All this is to say that if I can do it, it isn't impossible. I broke a needle when sewing fast through many thick layers and the rotational timing went out. You usually hear the change in sound when the timing is out, a lot more clanking!

I've also had occasional difficulties, with thread bunching up or missing stitches which I tracked down to the bobbin case retaining ring spring. This sometimes gets struck by a needle and a jagged edge results. The thread loop then sometimes catches on this.

You have to take out the retaining ring, remove the spring and file any rough edges with a needle file or emery cloth. Occasionally the spring gets so damaged that you need to replace it.

I also had an issue with the bobbin case not feeding the lower thread freely which I haven't yet got around to looking at, I put in a new bobbin case so I could finish my project. It's probably dirt under the tension plate I did a lot of sewing with domestic thread that gave off a lot of fluff.

I did find all the instructions are in the printed Ultrafeed guidebook although they require careful reading.

My machine is probably 20 years old now, there have been significant improvements over the years. I recently set up a new Ultrafeed for my friend and it has a much smoother action and a lot less noise! It has a means of disconnecting the sewing mechanism when winding bobbins and the thread tensioner opens up when you raise the presser foot.

I'd like a new machine, but I can't really justify it, so I envy you yours!
SuW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 15:08   #63
SuW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captn_Black View Post
Really? Right after Sailrite's office opened today, we had a load of people (most new to the forum with no/few post or info on their profiles) on this thread giving non-contextually relevant appraisals of Sailrite. This thread was asking for ALTERNATIVES to Sailrite. All CEO's have families, being a family run business doesn't make them ethical. I had no problem with them until this blatant behaviour.
Most of all, I feel patronised that they thought we wouldn't notice.
I have made $1000's of business for them over the year, but now I will avoid at all costs.
I have no connection to Sailrite, except as a happy customer since the early 90's. I live in Morrisburg, Ontario, fwiw.

Any Sailrite staff out there? Declare yourself...lol.

This post was featured on the weekly Cruisers Forum digest, so that may explain the interest.
Old 01-06-2020, 15:17   #64
SuW

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailah View Post
I'm in an interesting predicament. I have a beast Juki LU-1508 walking foot straight stitch in perfect condition. It excels in canvas work and I've put it through the paces. This is an at home machine clearly and that's fine.

I have some light sail repairs to do like spreader patches but nothing really structural. Also have a lot of dodger work but I'll use Juki for that.

I understand that zigzag is important for sail repair but is it a requirement for things like spreader patches? I'm hoping I can just do the sail repairs with what I have and keep it to 1 machine.

On the other hand I'm thinking of selling the Juki as it is very overkill for me and getting 1 machine that does both like the Sailrite. Since I've become used to a real industrial machine, I'm worried that I won't like the downgrade.

Any ideas?
I've done a lot of sail repair and a number of replacement UV strips on foresails, all using zig zag.

I think you could do a spreader patch with straight stitch, perhaps two lines of stitching close together for each seam. This would be virtually identical to a zigzag as far as the fabric was concerned, although a bit more time consuming.

I would keep your machine, it sounds fine. Another person on this forum that I envy!
Old 01-06-2020, 15:26   #65

Quote:
A bit harsh to say that these are spam comments; a company like Sailrite has a lot of fans among owners of their sewing machines, with good reason.

But they sort of are....Everyone knows about Sailrite and no one is disputing the reputation. Yet, when you look at the flood of posts concerning it, the other options get lost...We understand people are happy with the purchase, but their are other options.

I think I'm the only person that chimed in about the Omega that is similar to the Sailrite, but on sale now with zig-zag and monster wheel for $475.

That's a pretty good price I think for a new machine and it works for me going through several layers of canvas and vinyl....

The OP should see that they're are options.

https://walking-foot.ca/product/omega-wf22zzmw/
Boat Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 15:29   #66

I bought a Sailrite and I am happy with it. It is heavy but portable.
Stec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 15:29   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captn_Black View Post
If you're doing heavy sewing machine work, a walking foot is a hindrance, imo. Better to learn without one from the start.
Which walking foot machines have you used to come to that conclusion? It sounds like you used an accessory add on for home machines instead of a real walking foot machine.
BBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 16:45   #68

Boat: Ta Chiao 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnilias View Post
The machine got out of alignment quite quickly in normal use and access to the internet is needed to see the Youtube videos to realign it - this is not something that is suitable for a cruising sailor.
Hmmm, it seems like you're blaming the manufacturer for not being able to view their videos when you don't have an internet connection.

Personally, I download all the available documentation for each piece of equipment on my boat. YouTube videos can be easily downloaded and saved for future reference.
Brewgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 16:54   #69

My first purchase was a Consew CP206R. It's sold under other labels. They can be had for $500 or less on eBay. And, all Sailrite accessories fit. Whether you purchase a Sailrite or other brand, Sailrite's Monster wheel radically improves the operation of the machine. It takes it to a whole other level.
DanCrossWis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 16:57   #70

Boat: Dickerson 37AC

Quote:
I've done a lot of sail repair and a number of replacement UV strips on foresails, all using zig zag.

I think you could do a spreader patch with straight stitch, perhaps two lines of stitching close together for each seam. This would be virtually identical to a zigzag as far as the fabric was concerned, although a bit more time consuming.

I would keep your machine, it sounds fine. Another person on this forum that I envy!
Thanks! If I wanted to make you more jealous, I'd tell you I bought 2 and sold 1 within the day for what I paid for both...

It really is an awesome machine and I do love it for heavy duty sewing. I've done about 6 layers of Sunbrella and a patch of leather and it does not even blink.

These less exnpensive zigzag machines have my interest though like the Barracuda. I just need it to be a 1 trick pony and do just that, I'll use the Juki for everything else.

This is the worst of the repairs I need to do and it's a backup sail anyways. Was a castoff from a J109 that I paid $75 and was in good shape until it ripped on the spreader. I bought a bunch of 7oz Dacron, Dacron Insignia stickyback and laminate sailcloth from Sailrite and planned to fix the leech and do a large area repair with the spreader patch. I have no issues doing multiple stitches I just thought that it created an ideal tear seam where all holes are in the same line. Well, for a cheap throwaway sail, I'll just see what happens
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200601_135351.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	443.2 KB
ID:	216425  
sailah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 17:54   #71
rbk

Boat: T37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boat Guy View Post
But they sort of are....Everyone knows about Sailrite and no one is disputing the reputation. Yet, when you look at the flood of posts concerning it, the other options get lost...We understand people are happy with the purchase, but their are other options.

I think I'm the only person that chimed in about the Omega that is similar to the Sailrite, but on sale now with zig-zag and monster wheel for $475.

That's a pretty good price I think for a new machine and it works for me going through several layers of canvas and vinyl....

The OP should see that they're are options.

https://walking-foot.ca/product/omega-wf22zzmw/
Same here. I went with the Rex607z for $350 and from what I can tell it’s identical to the Sailrite with the exception of using slot head set screws vs hex. Also I had to tap the holes for the accessory attachment (all 2min to do that). All sailrite accessories work but you can also find a lot of those online for 1/2-1/3 the price of SR. All SR videos for maintenance are 100% accurate for the machine including tips for tension, tenara etc. I think if you’re going any route outside of a SR you really need to have a basic understanding of how to time and tension a machine which really isn’t all that difficult as you can’t ship it off to SR for adjustments which they have done extremely well with their customer service. I believe this is where the bulk of the cost really comes in.
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 18:55   #72

Boat: Matlack, Trawler, 48 ft

They're pricey but I love my SailRite ZigZag model
Old 01-06-2020, 19:40   #73

I have a Consew 255rb-2 large bobbin, walking foot, fwd/rev. I used to work in an upholstery shop. We did marine, auto and aircraft interiors, boat covers. I've used Singer, Consew and Juki machines. I liked the the Singer and Consew the most and did not fail and these machines were used 6 days a week 5 to 8 hrs a day. Make sure you use a diamond tip rather than a round tip, makes a smaller hole and will go through 4 layers of leather with ease. The large bobbin holder is great when your doing long stitches with out having to stop and change the bobbin often. I purchased new. And have never had an issue. If your doing sails you should get a zig zag machine. Don't skimp when purchasing, if you take care of the machine you will have it for life. Easy to have one for 50 years. I used one of the Singers and it was from 1959 and ran as good as a new one. Must take care of it and it will take care of you. Buy from a dealer or local so you can't make sure it works and the bearings don't have play or the walking feet are not worn down. My Consew is from 1996. Make sure it is full of oil in the resovor and the wicks are always moist also there are multiple locations that you have to manually add oil to, the bobbin tray has an oil resovor and a dipstick that need to be filled up for the walking foot and bobbin. You dont have to buy new, just make sure the used one is tight and sees well. Best of luck. I love my machine.
RichUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 19:40   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailah View Post
I'm in an interesting predicament. I have a beast Juki LU-1508 walking foot straight stitch in perfect condition. It excels in canvas work and I've put it through the paces. This is an at home machine clearly and that's fine.

I have some light sail repairs to do like spreader patches but nothing really structural. Also have a lot of dodger work but I'll use Juki for that.

I understand that zigzag is important for sail repair but is it a requirement for things like spreader patches? I'm hoping I can just do the sail repairs with what I have and keep it to 1 machine.

On the other hand I'm thinking of selling the Juki as it is very overkill for me and getting 1 machine that does both like the Sailrite. Since I've become used to a real industrial machine, I'm worried that I won't like the downgrade.

Any ideas?
P
Straight stitch is no problem for patches and stuff like that. Going from that Juki to any mini-walker is a big downgrade. If you want a backup to do the occasional zig zag or light fabric repair work buy an all steel home machine made in Japan from the 1960s. They were branded by many companies but will easily do just about anything you need on a boat. No walking foot and aren't intended for commercial service...but are heavy duty by todays standards and handle V92 size thread. They are old school but are way less compared to a sailrite or clone.

If you're bent on a sailrite mini-walker and money matters, look at one of the clones for half the cost. All mini-walkers are slow at 800-900 stitches a minute but get the job done. I bought a miniwalker clone as portable backup to a Consew 206rb1 industrial in the early 1990s. I sold the Consew a few yrs later and been using the mini-walker since.
BBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 20:16   #75

I used to be a professional sailmaker - back in the 70s when sails were made with dacron. I took my Pfaff 130 all around the Pacific with me and did sail repairs and canvas work for many boats. It was a great little machine! LIke Quartersplash said, they were popular for industrial work in other countries (like Pakistan). I do see them occasionally on Ebay. I'd expect it to be about $300.
mlspadaro is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sewing machine