Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-03-2017, 16:02   #1

Boat: Hudson Force 50 Center Cockpit
Should I up-size my head stay?

I have Hudson Force 50 Ketch.

I currently have 3/8" wire for my head stay and the same for the bobstay. It has been suggested by a local rigger to up-size these to 7/16".

I will be up-sizing the bob stay to 7/16" as I am replacing the the lower bob stay mount and cranse iron so creating them with the larger 3/4" pin hole is not an issue.
According to Brian Toss, the bobstay needs to be stronger than the head stay due to the leverage inequality of the steeper angles on the stay. I do have a dolphin striker that helps with this but since this is the most vulnerable to corrosion and hitting objects in the water, making this with stronger end fittings and wire seems like a good idea.

I will be replacing my old Mariner Roller Stay furler with a new Harken MK4 unit and the cost difference between the furler for 3/8" and 7/16" stay is considerable.
I also would have to increase the pin sizes on the cranse iron (no problem with the new one) and mast head to accommodate the larger pins if I were to go to the larger head stay.

Is there any downsides to having the 3/8 wire on the headstay and 7/16" on the bobstay? or should I up-size both?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01936.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	413.1 KB
ID:	144279  
Wind River is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 08:54   #2

Re: Should I up-size my head stay?

I know there is lot's of rigging experience here.

I am leaning towards leaving the 3/8" head stay as it was suggested that my boat, being a ketch, has shorter masts and smaller sails than a single masted boat of the same size.

Anyone have an educated opinion?
Wind River is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 10:56   #3

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

What about switching to Dyform/Compacted Strand for one or both? You get the perks of much stronger wire without having to upsize your other hardware or the furler. Although as another learned CF member said, the corrosion resistance of some of Dyform's smaller strands might be of a concern (in a bobstay).

Thus aonther option might be to ask your rigger how tough it would be to switch to rod rigging for the bobstay. It's super corrosion resistant, & strength is not a problem. The only issue I'd really forsee is whether or not the bend at the stryker is to sharp, & if the stryker's tip would be easy to configure so that rod would fit it properly.
If rod gets the nod on the bobstay, I'd be tempted to use it there, along with Compacted Strand for the headstay. But you do need to do the math/have a pro do it, so that the loads are balanced when you start changing wire/rod sizes & materials.

And just a think, but chain's been used on plenty of bobstays over the years. Even if you just used it for the lower 1/3, for improved impact protection. And so that when corrosion sets in it's quite noticable. So that you can make easy work of swapping it out.

Of course if you wanted to get wild, you could use Dux for the bobstay. Or chain along with Dux, as above

EDIT: Here's the other thread discussing some of the bits about upsizing rigging. Also, you'd be doing yourself a favor if before making the decision, you read Brion Toss's The Complete Rigger's Apprentice. It covers most of the need to know basics of rig design/construction.
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ng-182112.html

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 12:06   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Odds are at one time the old head stay was sized for a hanked on jibs, where the general consensus is go one size up for hank wear. The Bob stay was then installed the same size as the head stay.

Now the boat has a furler which does not need an upsized stay. Plus going to a larger head stay will effect the bushing size in the foil which could be lots of fun.

I should note that my bob stay is larger then my newer head stay.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 06:44   #5

Thanks for the link to the other thread. Lots of good, helpful information there.
I think I am going to stick to the plan of a 7/16" Bob stay and leave the 3/8 alone.

Tags
head, size