Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Deck hardware: Rigging, Sails & Hoisting
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-12-2021, 18:20   #16

Boat: 2010 Jeanneau SO 44i
Re: Single vs. Double Lifeline, One or More Gates

have you though of the netting ? Lots of yachties with small children and dogs have them.
Cheers
Kd9truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2021, 08:35   #17

Boat: 1981 Pearson 365 ketch

For myself, I always think of netting as a tripping hazard. With greater experience will come greater confidence, I hope.
The cocker spaniel hasn't gone on the boat as of yet, and I don't know how often my infant granddaughter will visit. I would imagine there would have to be a second line to do a good job of supporting the netting.
--Cheryl
NavyDave_andMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2021, 13:39   #18

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Hi, Cheryl,

We use re-cycled from use running back stays for our upper lifelines. Way overkill for strength, but more comfy than 6 mm to fall against. I would think you could use something similar off a larger boat, who sometimes just throw them away. We lash ours to get them tight. On your boat, the lower lifeline could certainly be added without jeopardizing the integrity of the stanchions, in the manner suggested by Jedi. If you do them with clove hitches, you will still need to tighten the last section, and splicing an eye into the end of the line will allow you to lash it. Check out a couple of You Tubes for instructions for the splices, if you don't have them already.

Gates. Our boat has symmetrical side gates. I like them just fine. It also has two lifelines across the stern. As it has a sugar scoop, the stern lifelines also act as a gate. Works for us.

As to toddlers on board, or doggies, and netting, I think I would simply detail the parents as toddler watchers rather than going to the expense and bother of netting, when visits are rare. Even with netting, you have to keep an eagle eye on them. Pets, if you have them aboard whenever you go out, or toddlers whenever you go out, nets may well add to your peace of mind.

Ann
Old 28-12-2021, 09:12   #19

Ann, Thanks so much for adding to my growing knowledge of alternative approaches. And I have come to appreciate YouTube for instructional videos, especially last summer when I was practicing knot tying. I see splicing being mentioned in many threads, so that may be my next skill to attempt.
--Cheryl
Old 28-12-2021, 11:05   #20

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

Cheryl, if you are considering lifeline netting and if you have a toe rail with open slots you can tie the net between the single lifeline and the toe rail. When our grandkids were very young we used them. Although we do have double lifelines the nets did not connect to the lower lifelines. You will still have to work out how to secure the net at the gate but a clip from the lower corner to the stanchion base should do it. That said, be aware that the nets commonly sold at marine stores has a limited life due to UV exposure. Two or three years max.
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2021, 13:05   #21
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

For netting we always tied a line along the bases of the stanchions. Never failed in 17 years of use.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2021, 06:28   #22

Thank you, Tayana42 and Jedi.
I found a video on Sailrite that has given me a better understanding of the installation of netting. The voiceover called the process "monotonous", but repetitive actions can also be soothing and meditative (thinking positively).
The boat in the video had shiny new stanchions and lifelines, so attractive, and it was on the hard in an indoor facility. Bet that made installation a whole lot easier!
Here's the link to the website for any newbie like me:

https://www.sailrite.com/How-to-Inst...-Netting-Video

--Cheryl
Old 30-12-2021, 06:36   #23
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

I'm with Jedi on tying the line on. I did this once, using a retired (oversize) Dyneema core halyard. Worked fine for many years. I did find that a wrap of tape below the clove hitch prevented sliding.
Old 30-12-2021, 10:01   #24

Thanks, thinwater/Drew. Cheaper yet safe and longlasting is mighty persuasive. I've visited your website many times. Always an interesting read and an impressive amount of articles.
--Cheryl

Tags
single