Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-10-2016, 18:28   #1

Slackening Leeward Running Backstay

I just attended a sailing symposium where the instructor insisted that the leeward running backstay should always be slackened-off so all the strain was taken by the windward running backstay. Of course this means fiddling with the things every tack. I don't see the point in this. Why not just set up equal tension in both running stays and leave them be, regardless of tack?
Mirror16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2016, 18:34   #2

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Re: Slackening Leeward Running Backstay

Every boat I've ever sailed with running backs would cause interference with the main if the leeward one wasn't eased, even close hauled

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2016, 18:43   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

On some boats the leeward running back doesn't interfere with the main sail. If that is the case, there is no reason to physically slacken it. The stretch in the windward running back will automatically decrease tension/slack the leeward one. On our old boat, didn't have to mess the leeward stay till on a beam reach or further off the wind to keep from contacting the main.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2016, 19:02   #4

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
On some boats the leeward running back doesn't interfere with the main sail. If that is the case, there is no reason to physically slacken it. The stretch in the windward running back will automatically decrease tension/slack the leeward one. On our old boat, didn't have to mess the leeward stay till on a beam reach or further off the wind to keep from contacting the main.
This is our practice, too, when we have one reef in, but with full sail, the leeward runner will interfere with the main. When we're running the staysail, the windward runner must be put on to help straighten the luff.

The issue is the interference. Your teacher was teaching you to do "it right." It gets to be less of a hassle if you cast off the to-be-leeward runner as part of your tacking procedure, when you always do it. And yes, it can be tiresome.

If you form "good" habits, it makes you welcome crew on other people's boats, if you're into that.

Ann
Old 24-10-2016, 09:42   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Alerion Express 38 Yawl (former)

I was thinking of a different reason and that is the desire to be able to sheet out the main quickly if you need to take another boat's stern. There are few things more concerning that casting off the mainsheet, only to have the sail and boom run into the runner, pinning you on a closehauled course.

At least, that's where my thoughts went.

Chuck
Chuck Hawley is offline   Reply With Quote