Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-03-2017, 13:27   #16

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: snap shackles (vs) regular shackles ?

Interesting how things change! We used to use a snap shackle on the genoa halyard (as others have mentioned) since we did lots of sail changes. Now, with furlers, we use a screw pin shackle there, because they are rather seldom undone. On the other hand, we remove the main halyard every time we anchor, and lead it away from the mast. On our boat, the head of the main is a real stretch to reach, even standing on the halyard winch. so a snap shackle, which is a one hand open/close operation is our choice. Been in use for a long time, lots of miles, and has never failed.

For sheets, snap shackles do sometimes open themselves when the sail is flogging, and we gave up using snappers there in the distant past. Knots have sufficed for years, now replaced by eye splices and soft shackles. Wonderful things, soft shackles...

Jim
Old 25-03-2017, 14:20   #17

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Funny, I've had the opposite experience. In many tens of thousands of miles of ocean racing, I've had'em open less times than I have fingers on one hand. Even when used for sheets & guys on big boat/maxi spinnakers.

Anyway, one of their vertues is that when flying a symmetrical kite, you can rig a tripline out to the shackle at the end of the pole, & lead it to the mast. So that in an emergency, such as a MOB, you can instantly trip away the outboard end of the kite gear. Which otherwise would take a minute or three to get to to release it.

Note: If you're going to try something like this with a shackle, use something like a Sparcraft, Tylaska, or Wichard Trigger Shackle. The type which you normally trip with a fid. And practice with your setup a BUNCH, during daylight. Including with a full crew. Until you know that you won't, & in fact, can't accidentally trip the shackle via this long distance trip line.
Otherwise you may suddenly, unexpectedly, wind up wrestling with a very large, very heavy, 1.5oz nylon "shrimp net" (spinnaker in the water).

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2017, 14:38   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

i refuse to have any on my boats.
Me, too.

Useless and dangerous gear.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2017, 14:57   #19
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

Racing I have had few shackles open up, cruising is another story. High quality, well designed gear really works better. But it seems only racers appreciate the difference.

A small shackle like you are talking about Uncivilized like the Tylaska T5 runs $150, compared to a Ronstan that starts at around $40. The maxi I raced on used nothing but Tylaska's, I have rarely seen a shackle by Tylaska on a cruising boat.

These days even for racing I would rather have a soft shackle and a knife than a trip line shackle.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2017, 02:41   #20

Boat: Lagoon 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumble View Post
I have had more than a couple snap shackles pop open, as well as quite a few that just broke. I simply do not trust them to do the job. They may have been the best option for a long time, but soft attachments are just easier and better.

Right now my preferred option is a sliding eye splice in the line, with a diamond knot luggage tagged to the ring (that stays permanently in place). The sliding eye is faster and easier to open than standard soft shackles, and other than needing to make a bunch of diamond knots doesn't take that much time to make.
I would guess two things:
First - If the shackle broke, it was used over its specified working load. This can happen to any sort connecting device.
Second - Snapshackle may open if the spring is not healthy, or if for some reason (dirt, corrosion, etc.) it was not closed properly, i.e. the securing pin does not went in all the way.
So, a snapshackle may need more attention than normal shackle. But, if used properly, it provides high ease of closing and opening.

Soft shackles are excellent solution though...
Old 26-03-2017, 08:49   #21
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meirriba View Post
I would guess two things:
First - If the shackle broke, it was used over its specified working load. This can happen to any sort connecting device.
Second - Snapshackle may open if the spring is not healthy, or if for some reason (dirt, corrosion, etc.) it was not closed properly, i.e. the securing pin does not went in all the way.
So, a snapshackle may need more attention than normal shackle. But, if used properly, it provides high ease of closing and opening.

Soft shackles are excellent solution though...
One thing you missed is that all snap shackles are cast from molten metal. This means that there's is a reasonable chance a brand new, perfect codition snap shackle has inclusions in the metal from the factory.

High quality manufacturers like Tylaska go the extra steps and first HIPP (place them under very high heat and preassure after casting) then load test every shackle off their line. The HIPPing drives out inclusions, the load testing ensures that every part meets specs. Finally they density test every part to ensure there are no large inclusions left. Cheaper manufacturers don't go thru these post-production processes, because they are expensive.

I have had Ronstan snap shackles break after months of service, I have never had a Tylaska break under normal loads.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2017, 08:50   #22

Boat: TPI Lagoon Catamaran 42'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navi2016 View Post
for halyards ( main and mizzen ), I usually see shackles with a keeper, why don't folks use snap shackles

Thanks, Navi
Used two snap shackles to hold the dinghy to the davit. One failed with 10' following seas and 20kts . It wasn't pretty but taught me to never trust them again.
duefocena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2017, 08:55   #23

Boat: Lagoon 400

I usually use Wichard snapshackles and find them of good quality.
Old 26-03-2017, 09:32   #24

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

You shouldn't have much, if any trouble with the higher end ones, like the trigger release versions from; Sparcraft, Tylaska, Wichard, & Sparcraft. And many of their mid range halyard shackles are great as well. Though if the shackle of the moment isn't a trigger release type, take a second & ensure that it's plunger pin is well seated when you close it, just to be sure. Don't fully trust the spring to do the job on it's own.

The catch with snap shackles is, that a lot of folks seem to think them maintenance free. Which if you spend much time on boats you soon learn that this isn't the case with anything. Regardless of what the manufacturer says. So regular shackle inspections & servicing allow you to spot, & head off any problems that might arise. Up to & including rare cracking in shackle bodies, & or near pivot pins.

Almost without exception, if a snapshackle has self-released, upon later inspection, a problem or two is found in it, which could have been avoided by giving it a bit of TLC. And the same is true for those that are stiff to open. Which, if they're stiff to open, they're likely difficult to latch securely without determined effort, as well as a good double checking.

One other caveat. When it comes to putting lanyards on plunger release type shackles, don't tie any knots in the lanyard anywhere but right next to where it attaches to the plunger (release). As lanyards that have knots on or near their bitter ends often form loops in the lanyards. And they're fond of catching on other rigging bits at inopportune times. Resulting in snagged sheets, & sails, released sheets/lines, or both. Any & all of which sometimes lead to even more of a cascade of failures/problems.
Even just a figure-8 knot in the end of a lanyard can be sufficient to cause it to snag on something, thus triggering the shackle's opening. Oops!

I'm fairly certain that the reason that we had next to zero accidental shackle openings on all of the boats I've raced on, is that the shackles were primarily of the trigger release type; one's which don't/won't/can't accept lanyards. And thus cannot accidentally be tripped. Pricey, yes. Trustworth, in my experience, absolutely.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote