Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-07-2019, 12:00   #16

Boat: Bavaria Cruiser 40
Re: So all booms use a tipping lift?

If you have a gas or hydraulic kicker then probably no you don't need a topping lift as this kind of kicker pushes the boom up rather than pulls it down.

That said a topping lift has many other uses as well as holding the tail of the boom up. I use it to access the top of the mast as I can't use the main halyard (in mast furler) and my spinnaker halyard doesn't go all the way up. I also use it to hoist the anchor riding sail and would use it to pull a casualty out of the water if I can't get the swim platform at the back down due to weather/sea conditions (I can roll them onto the platform horizontally, much safer).

I've also seen fitness freaks support the boom with the topping lift to do chin ups off the boom but that's a wee bit excessive in my mind.

Last of all a topping lift can also act as an auxilliary halyard for the main in the event of breakage or be used to hoist a storm sail or as someone else has suggested to stabilise a rig in the even of a breakage somewhere.
kas_1611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2019, 12:06   #17

Boat: Watkins 29

My boat has a really different topping lift... Ive never seen another like it.... the topping lift runs from a cleat at the base of the mast.... into the boom at the goose neck and then out the boom at the clew and up to the top of the mast where it firmly attaches to the top of the mast. There is a cam cleat at the goose neck. This rig is awkward at best and is on my list of things to change in the near future...Id rather have a standard topping lift that is more like a halyard and can be used as such as backup to the mainsail halyard.
dennismenace111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2019, 13:41   #18

Boat: Hunter 33 Cherubini , Catalina 14.2

We had both on a Catalina 22. A topping lift for sailing and a pennant attached to the backstay. When she was on her mooring we used the backstay pennant.
On the smaller boats the topping lift can: provide extra clearance in the cockpit,
depower the main, help with reefing, work as a crane, etc. These functions are not performed as well by a rigid vang. A friend who removed his t lift and installed a rigid vang on his Bene 232 expressed regrets.
Additionally, the cost comparison between even a basic rigid vang and a
topping lift is petty simple math.

Regards,
Secondshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2019, 14:56   #19

Boat: 2002 Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 37

On a trailer sailer I would go with a boom crutch. Easy to make yourself and perfectly idiot-proof.
tilostahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2019, 14:57   #20

Boat: Southwind 21 et al.

I have a Luger 21 Southwind trailer sailor. I have yet to stand up the rig and will be replacing the running rigging as I do.

There is a topping lift but no apparent vang hardware or padeye on the cabin top.

Boom is supposed to be roller furling.

There is about a yard of rope/line hanging off the gooseneck and 4 cleats low on the mast.
Since there are only 3 sheaves aloft, would it make sense that one line and one cleat is for the vang?
Thanks!
Old 14-07-2019, 15:05   #21

Boat: Southern Cross (Sonata 7) 23ft (7mtrs)

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Yes, many small boat "topping lifts" are made up that way...just a short penant attached to the backstay w a hook on the end to clip to eye on end of the boom. Clip to boom to stow, unclip once main is riased.

Thanks
Learning Curve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2019, 15:07   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Yes, many small boat "topping lifts" are made up that way...just a short penant attached to the backstay w a hook on the end to clip to eye on end of the boom. Clip to boom to stow, unclip once main is riased.

[emoji1417]thanks
Old 14-07-2019, 15:09   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterman46 View Post
Topping lift on backstay is simple but can lead to big problems including possible capsize. If main is raised quickly while boom still attached to backstay, and you are not pointing dead upwind or get a gust from another direction, the boat may not be able to head to wind fast enough to avoid trouble.

So if you want to use this (lubberly IMHO) arrangement then be sure to disconnect boom from backstay and lower boom end to deck before raising main. And if you have crew in cockpit while raising main, warn them that they may be "inconvenienced" by the boom wanting to jump around and strike them until the main is fully raised. Same can happen when lowering sail.

It's easy to avoid this issue with a true topping lift run from top of mast.

Thanks
Old 14-07-2019, 15:11   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secondshift View Post
We had both on a Catalina 22. A topping lift for sailing and a pennant attached to the backstay. When she was on her mooring we used the backstay pennant.

On the smaller boats the topping lift can: provide extra clearance in the cockpit,

depower the main, help with reefing, work as a crane, etc. These functions are not performed as well by a rigid vang. A friend who removed his t lift and installed a rigid vang on his Bene 232 expressed regrets.

Additionally, the cost comparison between even a basic rigid vang and a

topping lift is petty simple math.

Regards,

Thanks
Old 14-07-2019, 15:12   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilostahl View Post
On a trailer sailer I would go with a boom crutch. Easy to make yourself and perfectly idiot-proof.

A boom crutch, now that’s a new term. I’ll have to google that thanks.
Old 14-07-2019, 16:43   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilostahl View Post
Very few if any trailer sailers would benefit more from a boom crutch than a topping lift. It is sometimes seen as a rear arch on catboats with booms that overhang the stern. On a Sonata 7 (sailboatdata.com) it would be difficult
to realize a practical "under way" application.

Regards
Old 14-07-2019, 16:52   #27

Boat: Farr 1020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Learning Curve View Post
A boom crutch, now that’s a new term. I’ll have to google that thanks.
Far from being a new term, it is a very old one, they were used on all old sailing boats with a boom, it saves a lot of wear/damage to both the boom and the deck etc from the boom sitting on things, especially as it is partially lifted during sail hoist or drop!
Advantages of a boom crutch are that it stops swinging on the gooseneck and thus wear, but also it removes the load from whatever else is supporting the boom, i.e. top of mast if it is a halyard/topping lift.
Topping lift, or rigid vang, provides least damage during sail handling but there is always that offset.
Personally, for a sonata I would rig a spare main halyard as topping lift and use the backstay weather when moored to save the wild swinging. If you are seriously racing then weight savings would dictate only the one halyard though.
Roger
Djarraluda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2019, 16:57   #28

Boat: Roberts 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterman46 View Post
[...] can lead to big problems including possible capsize. [...]

Having a tipping lift could greatly help to righten the boat again, one would think? I just need to find that elusive sky hook to attach it to.

But in all seriousness, I agree that tying the boom to the back stay is a recipe for disaster.

https://www.timantra.net
hzcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2019, 17:44   #29

+1 for second halyard as a topping lift. This would eliminate the need for additional hardware on the boom and the t lift could be adjusted without chasing after the boom underway, neither fun nor safe in any wind.

This solution would also work for SPOT as it would not impede the use of a roller reefing boom if properly attached.

Regards
Old 14-07-2019, 19:32   #30

Boat: Southwind 21 et al.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secondshift View Post
+1 for second halyard as a topping lift. This would eliminate the need for additional hardware on the boom and the t lift could be adjusted without chasing after the boom underway, neither fun nor safe in any wind.

This solution would also work for SPOT as it would not impede the use of a roller reefing boom if properly attached.

Regards

Thanks Secondshift for the info and Learning Curve for the detour.

The boom end looks good to accept the topping lift and still 'roll'. The mainsheet attachment to the boom gets covered by sail once the sail is rolled so that is a problem unless moved elsewhere. Seems like many off the owners have forsaken the roller boom for other methods of reefing.

Tags
lift