Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-09-2020, 17:36   #1

So I have Halyard wrap. Now what

It certainly doesn’t look bad, but I know it’s not good. Super windy day and we were doing our best not to wreck things as we were late to the game in reefing. None the less something we did led to wrap.

We’re new to cruising on our Island Packet 29. We have decent experience sailing smaller boats and other wind sports, but things like rolling furlers are new to us.

So....what should I do next? I know I need to take a trip up and inspect the rigging for damage. But simply put what are the steps? Here’s my guess;
1) de rig Genoa. Boat comes out next week anyway for winter.
2) inspect halyard for damage.
3) trip up mast and inspect rigging. There is definitely an issue with a pin retainer (you can see it bent in one of the photos)
4) ensure furler is working properly after inspecting rigging?

I guess this is where I could use help. Not really sure of steps to fix the wrap (simply unwrap and ensure no damage?). No pro riggers here so I’ll take suggestions.

Many thanks! This board has been an amazing place to learn.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A558F44A-5E8B-48E8-9981-D6BFCACB7E7D.jpg
Views:	796
Size:	267.2 KB
ID:	223029   Click image for larger version

Name:	B1EAF86E-818B-4C27-8449-873BBD3B7874.jpg
Views:	881
Size:	293.9 KB
ID:	223030  

Name:	D4C5B90D-30E8-4E75-A875-D0332BEEE5EE.jpg
Views:	580
Size:	277.8 KB
ID:	223031   Click image for larger version

Name:	12E2F9A4-3B75-48A7-91A8-DE958F4B88E4.jpg
Views:	642
Size:	300.9 KB
ID:	223032  

Name:	4FD655BA-5C0F-46E3-ACC8-39E42A82C16C.jpg
Views:	527
Size:	299.0 KB
ID:	223033   Click image for larger version

Name:	9CDC8960-1B7A-4D9C-9778-F5CA4F273CCE.jpg
Views:	432
Size:	293.9 KB
ID:	223034  

Justcuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 18:36   #2

Location: Occasionally in Colorado. Generally live-aboard. Eastern Caribbean last winter. Nova Scotia and Newfoundland hopefully this summer.
Boat: Antares 44i
Re: So I have Halyard wrap. Now what

I've never experienced this problem before but with only a half-wrap everything is likely OK. I'd wait for a low wind day, slack the halyard just an inch or so, unfurl the sail and then drop it. You will be able to inspect the top swivel and halyard when the sail comes down. Take a trip aloft to inspect everything, but I'm guessing that other than maybe a twisted cotter pin there is no damage. Look at the lay of the headstay wire - it should not look like it has been twisted tighter or looser. Take a look at the foil all the way up and make sure there is no twist in it. To be sure everything is good rehoist the sail and check the furling/unfurling.

Once you get this all sorted measure the angle between the halyard and the forestay with the sail hoisted. If it is less than 7 degrees (what seems to be the recommended minimum) you may want to talk with a rigger about adding a halyard restrainer or using a strop on the sail's tack to allow it to be hoisted higher.
dougweibel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 20:05   #3

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justcuz View Post
It certainly doesn’t look bad, but I know it’s not good. Super windy day and we were doing our best not to wreck things as we were late to the game in reefing. None the less something we did led to wrap.

We’re new to cruising on our Island Packet 29. We have decent experience sailing smaller boats and other wind sports, but things like rolling furlers are new to us.

So....what should I do next? I know I need to take a trip up and inspect the rigging for damage. But simply put what are the steps? Here’s my guess;
3) trip up mast and inspect rigging. There is definitely an issue with a pin retainer (you can see it bent in one of the photos)

I guess this is where I could use help. Not really sure of steps to fix the wrap (simply unwrap and ensure no damage?). No pro riggers here so I’ll take suggestions.

I'm hoping that some expert on these furlers will come in with more knowledge than I have, but this should not be rocket science. I honestly don't see the problem other than half a wrap of the halyard around the top of the foil.

So, when ever you have a calm day or the wind is from the bow, unfurl the sail and drop it on deck. You'll want it off for the winter anyhow. Then you can inspect the top swivel and the pins. the end of the halyard, etc.

To be super safe, go up and look at the top of the foil and the toggles and pins of the forestay itself. No magic here, just common sense.

If this is harken, and it looks like it is, the parts are available if you find anything that should be replaced.
Old 08-09-2020, 20:14   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

I agree. Half wrap is hardly a huge deal. Raising the tac will help. It is also possible the halyard was a bit slack when you furled.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 21:14   #5

Boat: Island Packet 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post
I agree. Half wrap is hardly a huge deal. Raising the tac will help. It is also possible the halyard was a bit slack when you furled.
Fairly regular occurrence if the halyard is a bit loose or the seals have swollen a bit from UV damage. In all the times I had the problem I just unwrapped it and tightened the halyard a bit and never saw any damage. Unless you put the furling line on a winch and then go mad on the winch handle with the small diameter of the furling drum you cannot apply enough torque to the foil to do any damage.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 21:18   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justcuz View Post

"Un wrap" is way to go.
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 22:37   #7

Boat: Columbia 8.7

Is the bunch of halyard by the swivel a knot? That might be the wrap.

The #1 issue I noticed is the split ring on the toggle connecting the forestay and the tang leading to the mast has almost fallen out.
CFS Klopas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 22:38   #8

Boat: Elan Impression 45

Once you check that everything is OK, climb up the mast and install a halyard diverter a few centimeters above the swivel. With some drills and rivets it's a very easy job to do.
Attached Images

SailingMed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 00:07   #9

Boat: plastic production boat, suitable for deep blue water ;)

What ever your plans are, plan for a quite a few trips to the top, yes ideally when you furl and unfurl the sail while one is on top. So you need 2 things: a burly and responsible person on the winch, and a day with little or no wind.

This is how I dealt with it.
When I purchased my current boat, people in the know advised me to buy/install a deflector. "Whatever" I thought as I never knew those things were needed or even existed. Got a rigger to install one (similar to the post above) as I had no prior knowledge in these things.
On the trip home lost the deflector, ripped from the mast and all four 1/4 tapped bolts disappeared. I suspected the angle of the halyard from the swivel with the foil was too much being 50-60 degrees or so.

Just tightened halyard, and I sailed without any issues for 3 years.
Then.... I got halyard wrap.
Built my own wrap stopper.... worked better but still an occasional wrap. Then I moved the sail about 20 cm (8") higher on the foil.... and never had a problem again.

Here are some drawings borrowed from the web:
Halyard wraps – Cox Engineering
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	halyard-wrap.jpg
Views:	2449
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	223049  
Old 09-09-2020, 11:41   #10

Boat: Tartan 37C

following, it's bound to happen to some of us, lol
Captain Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 12:02   #11

Thanks for the suggestions, all! I should be able to putz with this sometime over the next couple of days and will definitely update after I work through the issue. That way I can revisit the next time this happens ;-)
Old 09-09-2020, 12:17   #12

Boat: Bristol 35.5 1978

Justcuz; this is timely...my genoa would not unfurl this wkend...up early this AM and removed my 2 sheets from gennie, and unfurled her manually and dropped her due to halyard wrap...detached halyard given it was on deck level, re-inserted gennie into forestay slide (Selden furlex), and re-hoisted her, then off to work...if you do drop your headsail & manually unfurl, be sure and have enough wraps of your furling line around the furler before re-furling. I have a halyard preventer on my mast, appears the wrap may have been from when i flew my gennaker as I have port & starbrd gennie halyards..very good camera by the way...really clear pictures. thnks
Hoodsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 13:41   #13

Boat: Pearson 10M

Really doesn't look like much of a problem.
Make sure the halyard is tight.
Add a short pennant to the tack of the sail, next season.
Inspect everything when you haul at the end of this season.
guyrj33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 13:55   #14

Boat: corbin39

Don't go sailing the top clevis pin looks like it's ready to fall out .replace the circle pin with a cotter pin
B-Baysailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 14:01   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Baysailer View Post
Don't go sailing the top clevis pin looks like it's ready to fall out .replace the circle pin with a cotter pin
Noticed that. It's #1 on my list. thanks for picking up on that!

Tags
halyard