Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-04-2020, 12:55   #16

Re: Solar mounts for a sailboat

I ended up mounting my 80w panel behind the stern rails on the starboard size. I used these grill brackets in conjunction with some aluminum L channel I bought from Lowes so that one of the grill brackets had a mounting point in the middle of the panel. It took awhile to think it all through but it went together fairly quickly. Hardest part was mocking it up and dealing with mount points because of existing bimini.

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/magma...27?recordNum=5
bostonbubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 13:16   #17

Boat: sabre 28

I used these rail clamps to install a 100 watt panel on each side of the stern rail.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008EPC0RO..._3g4JEb44BA9CD
Old 09-04-2020, 13:57   #18

Boat: kelt 8.5

I kind of did it myself. Purchased a single aluminum pole with and angle bracket on the bottom to mount to the transom (angle is about 30deg) Pole is about 10ft maybe 11 3inches diameter. The pole is then supported by supports from the railing and rail mounted support. Atop the pole is a wind generator and below that are two pole solar mounting bracket that you can buy on line that have angle adjustments. I have two 100watt panels mount for and aft.

Happy to send a photo if your interested
realem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 15:24   #19

Boat: Pearson 34

The Sailrite sewing machine company has complete kits with frame and fabric in several designs and sizes. Sailrite.com
RSB333
RSB333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 15:51   #20

Boat: Watkins 27

Pete,

The PVC is schedule 40, outside diameter is 1".

Be safe!
DaLuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 16:16   #21

Boat: kelt 8.5

My pole mount or the two 100 watt panels is above the bimini since it comes off the stern
realem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 06:43   #22

There were two vendors at the boat show">Annapolis boat show last fall who build arches which have an adjustable midsection. This allows them to make a standard assembly which adjusts to just about any boat with only minor modifications, saving a lot of money while maintaining high quality. I understand that the kits break down for shipping so you can be anywhere and buy one.

This idea is similar to how the Monitor windvane is made to fit so many boats. The attachment tubes just need to change lengths.

I wasn't in the market for an arch so I don't have their info but perhaps some other members can provide a link.

The arches we're good looking, light and had lots of options that can be added: solar panel mounts, dingy davits, motor hoists. This would be a better way to go than a DIY or a totally custom fab, given cost and appearance factors.

Be sure to put backing plates under the deck at the attachment points. Even if the arch only holds solar panels, it will experience a lot of loads from the wind and from being used as a convenient hand hold.
StoneCrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 17:13   #23

Boat: Bristol 35.5

defender.com has everything you're gonna need
Old 04-05-2020, 11:57   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post
The only welding in the one illustrated was the mounting plates on the alloy RHS supports.
What is RHS?
StoneCrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 12:05   #25

Boat: Former owner of a Valiant V40

We mounted ours (2 150 watt panels) on top of the bimini. No welding or cutting. Used clamp-on style dodger parts, 1-inch SS tubing and a few misc SS fittings. Panels were mounted on some Al bar stock clamped to the 1-inch SS rails with cut-to-fit teak pads ans SS U-bolts. All told, took a few hours to complete once all the bits were assembled.

We did add a few diagonal braces to stiffen and strengthen the bimini structure. Again, no cutting of the existing structure or welding required.
jamhass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2024, 22:05   #26

Boat: Beneteau 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobiehobie View Post
We installed ss frame and GRP curved base over, and attached to, existing Simpson Davits. Have the plans we drew up if anyone wants them.
oh wow, those look great ! im desiring panels over my Simpson davits ... did you install / weld yourself or have someone do the job ?

thanks

Patrick
ophthodawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2024, 02:02   #27

Boat: Hylas 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by ophthodawg View Post
oh wow, those look great ! im desiring panels over my Simpson davits ... did you install / weld yourself or have someone do the job ?

thanks

Patrick
We had a welder build the frame and install onto the top of the davits and then a GRP guy build a curved fiberglass cored panel to sit on top. flexible Solbian solar Panels are stuck to the surface with strong 3M double sided tape. Wiring goes into the SS frame, through the Davits and into the boat. It was all custom and ended up being quite expensive...about US$20K I think including the structure, install and panels. But it looks great, is super strong and provides shelter for the dinghy! If you PM your email I can send that plans we made...
Hobiehobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2024, 07:09   #28

Boat: Watkins 27
Send a message via Yahoo to deltaten

I mounted my 22"x22" +/- 50w panels directly to the pushpit rails. I used gray pvc electrical conduit "straps" , the kind that fold over and have one fastening point. A bit of sheet rubber around the rail first to take up slack and give it some grip. Bolted directly to the panel frame at a conveniently factory placed hole about 5 inches from "top" edge. This allows the panels to tip up/down to suit sun angle or lay flat against the stern rail. I can prop or bungee them into position as needed or simply lay ( vertical) flat against, as stern aims near due South at dock.
KISS principle applied, cheap and effective 😉
deltaten is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, sail, sailboat, solar