Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-04-2020, 16:45   #1

Solar mounts for a sailboat

Hi all,

I want to install a solar panel on the aft of my 30' sailboat, but I want to do the project myself.
Years ago someone mentioned a company that you could buy the SS bars and kit to mount the panels, but I can't find any website that sells the hardware for that job, with a wide variety of options.
Can you any place where I could buy the kit from and install it myself?

Thanks,
Andy
openseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 17:00   #2

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20
Re: Solar mounts for a sailboat

Why not build it yourself? Get a cheap welder, build your own bender.
Do you want to a tracking mount or an arch or something else?
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 18:19   #3

Boat: Catalina Morgan 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by openseas View Post
Hi all,

I want to install a solar panel on the aft of my 30' sailboat, but I want to do the project myself.
Years ago someone mentioned a company that you could buy the SS bars and kit to mount the panels, but I can't find any website that sells the hardware for that job, with a wide variety of options.

Thanks,
Andy
I've never seen a SS kit offered when I was researching arches, but here is the link for an aluminum one.
Old 08-04-2020, 18:51   #4

Boat: Rafiki 37

It's unclear what kind of mount or platform you were thinking of. I designed and constructed my own bimini frame and mounted my solar panels on it. I sourced the ss tube from a local builder of boat covers, and had him do the bends for me. I then cut the arches to fit, and used standard dodger/bimini connecting hardware to link it all together.

No welding. Pretty easy, and a lot cheaper.
Old 08-04-2020, 19:02   #5

Boat: Morgan 44 CC

I’m pretty handy with stuff and TIG welding is well within my range of skills but fabrication using normal 1” SS tube to any level that would satisfy me (and I’m not that fussy) is outside of my skill sets. It is really quite difficult and a long way from just welding.

Reading your post, with the greatest respect to you, I believe this would apply to you too. Not to mention the cost of all the kit you’ll have to buy to get any form of result (TIG welder, argon gas setup, regulator, profile grinder, pipe bender and formers, the list is quite long). If you already had any of this gear you probably would not have asked the question.

SS fabrication is not that costly and it sounds like you’re looking for rail-mounted brackets rather than a full-on arch. Get a quote from your nearest fabricator, you may be pleasantly surprised.

Having said that, for standard and affordable fittings that I’ve seen used with standard 1” SS tubing by total amateurs with a good deal of success, have a look here:

https://www.aliexpress.com/premium/S...ipe%20fittings

Some of the fittings listed have grub screw assembly that simplifies the process a lot.
CassidyNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 20:14   #6

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Most things can be welded with stick welders. Including stainless, cast iron (muggy weld) and even aluminum. I don't know about titanium but I really don't want that on my boat.

Whether you weld or bolt together will depend on anticipated loads. For an arch that will only carry solar panels and other light equipment, bolting is probably fine but you will need to have diagonal braces. With welded connections you can have a lighter structure with less windage.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 00:08   #7

Boat: Island Packet 40

The only welding in the one illustrated was the mounting plates on the alloy RHS supports. The rest of it was bolted together.

Angled back RHS tubes with forward/aft T section supports and athwart ship angles supporting 4 X 80 Watt panels.

I can't recall the exact cost but there was less than $100 in materials and probably $50 in the welding.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0002 - Edited.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	20.3 KB
ID:	212338  
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 03:34   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

This guy just used the tube and fittings, not bad.

Our stern arch was off a rib and with a few other bits of stainless including an old pullpit was cobbled together. The arch was £200 and probably another £100 in fitting and extra tube. I needed to put extra diagonal supports in to stop the frame from rocking side to side.

Depending on what you are building watch the weight. Our arch is about 10kg and the 300w solar panel another 18kgs. I did move a few things in the yacht to compensate and am considering moving the calorifier from the stern locker to the saloon. That alone is another 30kgs currently at the very stern of the yacht. It is also very wasteful of water since the hot tap takes a while to run hot. However, its quite a big project so probably a winter job.

Pete

Our arch. The camera lens makes it look lobsided, its not.

Pete
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0193a.jpg
Views:	289
Size:	397.3 KB
ID:	212341  
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 06:18   #9

Boat: Custom Swedish Vindö 50 (35 ft)

Another suggestion... If you already have an SS structure over the cockpit, you can use stock aluminium "L" bar to make a support for the panel. It's easy to cut and bolt to your SS frame (use rubber spacers to keep the Alu off the SS to prevent corrosion). This is what I did on my boat and it turned out great.
Copacabana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 07:45   #10

Boat: Watkins 27

Openseas,

If you need something quick and easy, I used heavy schedule PVC to build frames and mounts for my two 50 watt panels mounted on my stern cockpit rails.

I get it, not as durable as stainless, but I have no plan or intention of crossing oceans, I am content to cruise coastal and the Caribbean.

I applied a sealant to try and protect the PVC and so far no issues for everyday use over the past 18 months.

Was not expensive, tilts from flat, to 45, to 90 by swapping out arm poles. Easy to remove if needed (hurricane Dorian) and easy to re attached.

Went to a place called MR PVC in Cocoa, Florida for the speciality pieces to do the corner mounts, and the rail attachment pieces.

Hope this helps, be safe!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20200409_102351404.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	406.9 KB
ID:	212362   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200409_102421873.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	418.4 KB
ID:	212363  

Name:	IMG_20200409_102444181.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	443.3 KB
ID:	212364  
DaLuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 10:23   #11

Boat: Hylas 54

We installed ss frame and GRP curved base over, and attached to, existing Simpson Davits. Have the plans we drew up if anyone wants them.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	426.4 KB
ID:	212370  
Hobiehobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 10:43   #12

Boat: Pearson 303

Just finished a small 50 watt solar panel installation on my 30' Pearson. It certainly can be done with some research and planning. The link has great articles on rail mounted panel installation, hardware, proper panel connectors, controllers, etc.
marinehowto.com/

Also, a great helpful forum is at this link. Post under Marine. Folks are very helpful.
https://diysolarforum.com/

A good source of solar info
https://www.mobile-solarpower.com/

A good idea is to do the install correctly. You are dealing with electricity.

Take care, Fair Winds
Capt Y Knot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 11:05   #13

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaLuz View Post
Openseas,

If you need something quick and easy, I used heavy schedule PVC to build frames and mounts for my two 50 watt panels mounted on my stern cockpit rails.
That's quite neat what is the diameter of the pipe?

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 11:50   #14

Boat: Knysna 440 once I get my new dock and the canal gets dredged

Quote:
Originally Posted by openseas View Post
Hi all,

Thanks,
Andy
Mantus sells the adapters to mount to rails https://www.mantusmarine.com/mantus-rail-clamp/
joelhemington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 12:49   #15

Boat: Lagoon 450, 46 feet

Dedicated Marine in Florida has a complete user installed kit but it is designed for cats. We just installed their three panel unit which provides
over a kilowatt of power. We were surprised how heavy we found the panels and gantry. In a seaway it is a lot of weight to be swinging around so make sure you have a strong supports.
purplesunrise is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, sail, sailboat, solar