Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-11-2015, 06:09   #1

sorting of halyards

I have 3 internal halyards exiting the base of my mast; spinnaker, main and foresail/jib. Jib is on a furler. At this time jib and spin halyards run to cockpit, main goes to winch and cleat on mast. I also have lines run for 2 reef points on main, they cleat on boom. Aim is to get all controls back to cockpit so the other mate is more comfortable. Question is.....once jib/furler is up (usually for the season, is there any reason why it could not be cleated on mast then main, spinnaker and 1 main reef point come back to cockpit? (i have a triple clutch on the cabin top with a winch). The furler sheet comes back to rear of cockpit so all controls would be accessible from the cockpit. My concern, and it may be groundless, is there any issue with jib halyard/furler being cleated at mast? and my main concern is safety for my family and crew (all still new to the game and nervous when i go forward and leave them in the cockpit to drive).
Halifax Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2015, 06:51   #2

Re: sorting of halyards

My jib halyard, is cleated at the mast, and only gets used at the start of the season, unless there is severe weather predicted. So you would probably be ok with what you want to do. At the end of the season, I have to wash the mold off of the coils.
mike d. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2015, 08:59   #3

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran

The "mikes" agree lol. You'll have enough spaghetti in the cockpit anyway.
Old 29-11-2015, 14:11   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Yep, if you have a furling headsail that stays up, it makes sense to terminate that halyard at the mast and keep it out of the way of the lines you do need to adjust that you have run to the cockpit.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2015, 14:15   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Yep, if you have a furling headsail that stays up, it makes sense to terminate that halyard at the mast and keep it out of the way of the lines you do need to adjust that you have run to the cockpit.
And now the Stus agree with the mikes.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2015, 16:14   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

If you sail single/short handed, I'd have all the headsail halyards at the mast and the mainsail halyard and controls to the cockpit.

Most of the issues with headsails are way easier to handle at the mast and only able to be handled solo with the halyard on the foredeck.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2015, 16:20   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

I raced too many years to totally ignore the jib halyard. Tighter in heavy wind and to weather, softer off the wind and light air. Ease the halyard at the dock. Most times, you can leave it alone. It will require less attention if you use a modern line with reduced stretch. I'd leave it at the mast.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2015, 17:21   #8

Boat: Traditional 30

There is no issue fixing your jib halyard to the mast. It seems a sensible option to swap the Jib and Main halyards.

If a storm hits, you can drop the main and furl the jib from the cockpit. Seems sensible enough.
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2015, 14:41   #9

I am thinking that the move to cleat my jib at the mast would meet with approval. Thank you all for you input and i am hoping this will calm the seas for the other mate as i wont have to leave the cockpit, she is a good sailor as long as i am close at hand, doesnt really like the boat over more than 20 degrees but is getting more used to it. Maybe even the spinnaker this year. I am going to be able to do this with little or no cost, so being a sailor.............that's fits right in with where i am thinking. Thx again all who have answered.
Halifax Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 13:06   #10

On our Oceanis 411 we have the roller jib cleated at the mast and it works fine. With single line reefing we can reef the main easily from the cockpit. I'd recommend it as a cruising arrangement.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
AedanC is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
halyard