Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Deck hardware: Rigging, Sails & Hoisting
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-01-2018, 10:51   #1

Boat: 1975 Tartan 41'
Sourcing Large Stainless Clevis End - Female Thread

Anyone know where I can source a Stainless, 5/8" female fork end??
I've spent hours.. days.. searching for a Stainless Steel or Chromed Bronze Clevis rod end (aka. fork or yoke) with a female 5/8-18 thread and a hole for a 5/8 pin. I damaged mine when disassembling my hydraulic backstay adjuster. I couldn't get the roll pin out at striped threads during removal.
Unavailable from:
rigging only
McMaster-Carr
suncor
hayn
Crosby
west marine
many google suggestions.. have found in steel, but not SS.

Anyone know where I can source a 5/8" female fork end??
zstine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 11:18   #2

Re: Sourcing Large Stainless Clevis End - Female Thread

West Coast Wire Rope & Rigging, Inc.

Phone number is toll free. If they can't do it, they may well know who can. Good luck.
Drew13440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 15:25   #3

Boat: 1975 Tartan 41'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew13440 View Post
West Coast Wire Rope & Rigging, Inc.

Phone number is toll free. If they can't do it, they may well know who can. Good luck.
Thanks... They did not have it, but sent me to Suncor. Suncor has a yoke, but it is marginal on working load at 3500lbs for a 3/8" dia backstay. I have sent them an email to ask what the breaking strength is. I've also sent Harken and Navtec emails, since they make adjusters that contain the part I need... This is harder than it should be!
zstine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 15:28   #4

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

zstine,

You might try Sea Rig in New Zealand.

Ann
Old 12-01-2018, 09:15   #5

Boat: GibSea 472

Have you ever think of having one made to your specs?. Any good machine shop will fabricate on quickly and probably stronger an les expensive that an ofshelf product. I've done that a few times and alway saved money and obtained a better product.
Elie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 09:35   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

I would suggest a turnbuckle for the female thread and then shorten the backstay the needed amount.

You might find a part of a navtec turnbuckle with the center threaded rod might work also if you can find one.
Old 12-01-2018, 10:58   #7

Location: Boat is on the hard in San Carlos for the tropical storm season. We are back in the PNW
Boat: 1999 Pacific Seacraft 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elie View Post
Have you ever think of having one made to your specs?. Any good machine shop will fabricate on quickly and probably stronger an les expensive that an ofshelf product. I've done that a few times and alway saved money and obtained a better product.
+1 on this

Don't know where you are, but we have had pieces fabricated for our 1998 PSC. While in Shilshole Marina in Seattle, we broke some chromed bronze hatch hinges that no longer existed, so we had them fabricated out of 316 by Hatton Marine in Ballard for reasonable cost.

As we came up the Inside Passage, I realized we had no deck fill spares and they were no longer available either. We had those fabricated from bronze by a machine shop in Wrangell (Tyler Thompson - great shop). It's relatively straightforward to get things like this made.
Smokeys Kitchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2018, 15:34   #8

Boat: Passage 24/30 Cutter

I had some made by a local machine shop for a solid, 1/2" rod Bob-stay, using sections of 1" dia. s.s. rod. I don't recall how much I paid but, it seemed very reasonable at the time ... I'm the kind of guy who would definitely remember if the price was more than reasonable.
If you haven't managed to source some ready made clevis ends, you might try getting a quote from a machine shop ... I'm assuming there might be one near-by.
Sailorbob8599 is offline   Reply With Quote