Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-01-2019, 13:32   #1

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35
Spartite slippping upwards on the mast

I had a local yard use Spartite when the mast was off for some work in 2009. It always leaked a bit but I kept it well sealed with mast boot tape and that solved the problem.

Last winter the same yard replaced the standing rigging and re-stepped the mast, with the same Spartite intact, and they taped it. It leaked pretty badly after this -- the tape was not applied very well. So I re-taped it. And then it started leaking again.

Now I've got around to taking the tape off to prepare to re-tape it again, and I was surprised to disover that the Spartite had crept up the mast about an inch, leaving quite a gap, which explained the continued leaking.

Has anyone else experienced Spartite creeping up the mast? I was able to slide it most of the way back down and think I can get it the rest of the way. But I'm concerned over why it was sliding at all and whether I can keep it from sliding back up...seems like the mast working may cause it to do so again?

I'm considering throwing a long hose clamp around the mast above the Spartite in hopes that will keep it in place, but would like to hear other solutions from those who may have experienced this problem.
patja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2019, 02:44   #2

Boat: S & S 43'
Re: Spartite slippping upwards on the mast

Hi,
Where your mast passes through the deck (partners), there is a raised border going up off the deck. Get the spartite down to where you want it and then put screws horizontally through that raised bit and into the spartite.
Don't forget to remove the screws when you next pull the mast.
david samuelson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mast