Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-05-2010, 03:58   #16

The sailmaker screwed up. Tell them to eat the sail and build what you ordered or cancel the order. We've had sailmakers screw the order up more then once and have always refused delivery.

So who is the sailmaker?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyxis156 View Post
Fortunately the sail has not yet been paid for and I agree that their substitution is completely unacceptable. During the bidding process I also received bids from three other sailmakers so I have plenty of options should things not work out with this one. I would, however, like to salvage the deal if possible as I worked out a package price for the main, jib and asymmetric that I was very pleased with.

Thanks again to all of you for your experiences and suggestions, they have definitely convinced me that I am not mistaken in wanting the lighter fabric for a light-air running spinnaker and it has also helped firm my resolve in expressing my dissatisfaction with the substitution. I really don't see any viable options for the loft to not provide me what I ordered as I have a contract for a 0.75 oz spinnaker from them and they admit that they made the cloth weight change without consulting me first. Hopefully they will resolve this situation without any further incident and, to be fair, I have just sent my response to the loft and they have not yet had a chance to respond so I will let you know how things turn out.
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2010, 21:18   #17

Boat: Lyman-Morse 54
I am happy to report that all’s well that ends well.

Received word from the manager of our local loft today and I didn’t have to say anything, he immediately apologized for the change in fabric weight being made without consulting me first and said that they would make a new spinnaker right away. He agreed that the .75 oz fabric is the appropriate weight for my purposes and the conditions in this area, and he is confident that some reinforcement at the luff patch where the furling line attaches to the luff will be more than sufficient to handle the loads imposed by the furler.

I want to thank you all again for sharing your thoughts and experiences with respect to spinnakers and fabric weight, I have learned a lot and it has been most helpful. I will be sure to post a follow-up on how the spinnaker works with the furler once our boat is comissioned, hopefully in early July.
Pyxis156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2010, 22:08   #18

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
OK now that they have proven to be "good guys" to deal with...will you please share who they are so we have a chance to work with them as well when needed?

Or at least PM those of us interested....Thanks

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2010, 22:11   #19
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyxis156 View Post
he is confident that some reinforcement at the luff patch where the furling line attaches to the luff will be more than sufficient to handle the loads imposed by the furler.

Sailmaker is face saving.

Well done! Thats a nice outcome

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2010, 02:12   #20

Boat: Swan 56
Glad everything worked out for you.

As a bit of a side note, It just so happens that I got a recommendation from a sailmaker for an Asym for my boat today.

The sailmaker is a friend and someone I race with now and then - I trust his judgement.

He's recommended 0.9oz Nylite (whatever Nylite is). This is for a "good all rounder" rather than specifically for the light stuff that you are after.
bewitched is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fabric, spinnaker