Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-06-2020, 16:40   #1

Boat: Hylas 54
Spinnaker halyard conundrum

I wish to replace the spinnaker halyard on my Hylas 54 with a longer line. I use the halyard to haul up the (quite heavy) dinghy amidships at night and it is the preferred halyard to pull me or my mate up the mast. Thus I'd like to lead it back through a block and via the genoa cars to the primary electric winch in the cockpit. For that it needs to be 180' long. Also given its frequent use and valuable payload, I'd like to use Endura Braid Dyneema-cored line. Problem is, the jammer at the mast is rated for 14-16mm line and endurabraid of this size (14mm) is 1. Over $1000 and 2. rated for 29,000lbs, which is way overkill. If I go down to 12mm or more the jammer will not grip. I know this because the new main halyard is 12 mm Endura Braid and I had to add a sheath to make it grip under load (and the ends of that added sheath BTW are prone to getting jammed in the jammer at critical times).

So, do I forget the Endura braid and go for regular 14 or 16mm line, splash out on 14mm Endura Braid, or change the jammer (its a three jam jammer, so that is also pricey!). Is there any way to change an existing Lewmar jammer to take a smaller diameter line I wonder?

Your thoughts appreciated.
Hobiehobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2020, 17:38   #2

Boat: Amel 53, Super Maramu
Re: Spinnaker halyard conundrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobiehobie View Post
I wish to replace the spinnaker halyard on my Hylas 54 with a longer line. I use the halyard to haul up the (quite heavy) dinghy amidships at night and it is the preferred halyard to pull me or my mate up the mast. Thus I'd like to lead it back through a block and via the genoa cars to the primary electric winch in the cockpit. For that it needs to be 180' long. Also given its frequent use and valuable payload, I'd like to use Endura Braid Dyneema-cored line. Problem is, the jammer at the mast is rated for 14-16mm line and endurabraid of this size (14mm) is 1. Over $1000 and 2. rated for 29,000lbs, which is way overkill. If I go down to 12mm or more the jammer will not grip. I know this because the new main halyard is 12 mm Endura Braid and I had to add a sheath to make it grip under load (and the ends of that added sheath BTW are prone to getting jammed in the jammer at critical times).

So, do I forget the Endura braid and go for regular 14 or 16mm line, splash out on 14mm Endura Braid, or change the jammer (its a three jam jammer, so that is also pricey!). Is there any way to change an existing Lewmar jammer to take a smaller diameter line I wonder?

Your thoughts appreciated.

I have a couple comments. First, before you use an electric primary winch to haul someone up the mast you need to read this:

https://wavetrain.net/2011/05/11/ele...s-destruction/

It was a true tragedy, and one that was completely avoidable.

Second, on the use of high tech cored lines, another story, and a personal one. I was working as the service manager for a large sailing school/charter fleet. We had a J105 that was going out on a charter when the halyard broke as they were raising the sail. BEFORE they pressured it with a winch, just pulling it by hand.

Investigation showed that the dyneema core of the halyard had been completely crushed at the point where it was normally held by the rope clutch. The only thing left was the sun cover, which is NOT load bearing at all.

The cause of the problem really wasn’t the issue. What it showed us was that you can NOT evaluate the condition of a dynema, or spectra, or whatever cored line by LOOKING at it. We changed our rules, and I forbid any of the service staff from going up a mast on a cored halyard. We ran a standard double braid line to replace a cored line for maintenance work, and then swapped back after the mast head work was done.’

If a double braid line LOOKS good, it almost certainly has enough strength to hold someone up the mast. The same can NOT be said of cored lines.

Gravity sucks.
SVHarmonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2020, 03:31   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

Depending on the age of the jammer, you may be able to find replacement guts; I've seen a Spinlock triple that had a different diameter in each port. I'd bump down to half-inch dyneema core. It'll keep down the weight aloft and be easier on the wallet.
I agree with the above poster about electric winches: the dodge is to not use the self-tailer. Tail by hand with a couple turns and be ready to cast them off pronto.
I wouldn't worry about going aloft on a dyneema cored halyard that was less then ten years old. The last poster's cored halyard must have been abused beyond measure (clutch too small? overuse? poor quality line?); his description is not a common failure point.
Old 24-06-2020, 04:57   #4

Boat: Hylas 54

Thanks both for your thoughts. We are experienced winch handlers. On reflection I think sticking with double braid is sensible considering the cost of Endurabraid in 14mm and the inconvenience of moving down a couple of sizes in regards to jammer fit. I understand the benefit of being able to inspect double braid but I would be quite comfortable hauling up the mast on new and well cared for Endurabraid.
Hobiehobie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
halyard, rum, spinnaker