Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-12-2023, 07:24   #1

Boat: Sabre 34-1 (sold) and Saga 43
Spinnaker staining

I just finished helping a friend sail from Key West to Cancun (actually, Isla Mujeres). Two questions came up -- one in this thread, one in another, so don't get confused!

He has a mostly white spinnaker with dark blue panels on the edge. And it looks tie-dyed. Blue splotches all over the white. I've seen this a lot in the past, but this time I got intrigued enough to talk about it. I assume that this results from storing a wet spinnaker, but really don't know.

First question -- how does this happen? Is it really from storing a wet spinnaker? Or is it from storing it in the sun (heat transfer, perhaps?). Or some other reason? And, given the source, how does one prevent it?

Second question -- what simple-minded cloth manufacturer builds a cloth that dye-transfers in 2023??? Seriously, has anyone ever had their blue sail cover leave stains on their mainsail?

Bottom line, a significant reason for a spinnaker is they are awesomely pretty. Sure, awesomely fast and fun -- but "pretty" is a close second. Putting big ugly blotches all over it is un-cool.

Any thoughts?
Old 25-12-2023, 08:37   #2

Re: Spinnaker staining

I find the response to this thread interesting. 121 people have looked at it, but not a single response. And I don't think the problem is unique -- my buddy's is bad, but mine has some staining and we've all seen it, even if on other boats. When you pay as much as you do for a sail, you'd hope that "stays pretty" is a design objective. Many cruisers shy away from laminate sails because they mildew.

Any one out there?
Old 25-12-2023, 09:32   #3

Well... nylon sailcloth is different that the solution dyed acrylic used for most canvas covers. Sunbrella and other acrylic canvases come out of the spinner with the color as part of the fabric. it can not come out.

Nylon spinnaker cloth is made white, and then dyed. I don't know of any solution dyed nylon sailcloth, the color is added later. If put away wet, and allowed to soak for weeks, the color will migrate. It's the nature of the beast. Properties other than color fastness are given priority with sailcloth. Avoided by drying the sail before long term storage, or making the sail all one color.
Old 25-12-2023, 13:44   #4

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Funny, never had transfer with colors from our spinnakers, themselves, but, the odd rust stains from the head and clews fittings. Rust, you can take out with mild oxalic acid, but risks weakening the cloth, so neutralize the area with baking soda, and then rinse, then dry the chute. We used to hoist the chute with the clews shackled together, for it to dry, at the end of the sailing day, if there were not too much breeze. Nylon is pretty fragile stuff, and does sun rot. Better to rinse with fresh water to remove the salt, and then dry and stow.

If your friend is interested to re-whiten the white panels, what s/he needs to locate is some dye remover that is safe for nylon, and use it carefully. Or just be happy to have a unique spinny.

Sailing Harmony is right about the dyes for the arcylic fabric sail covers.

Ann
Old 25-12-2023, 14:38   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
Funny, never had transfer with colors from our spinnakers, themselves, but, the odd rust stains from the head and clews fittings. Rust, you can take out with mild oxalic acid, but risks weakening the cloth, so neutralize the area with baking soda, and then rinse, then dry the chute. We used to hoist the chute with the clews shackled together, for it to dry, at the end of the sailing day, if there were not too much breeze. Nylon is pretty fragile stuff, and does sun rot. Better to rinse with fresh water to remove the salt, and then dry and stow.

If your friend is interested to re-whiten the white panels, what s/he needs to locate is some dye remover that is safe for nylon, and use it carefully. Or just be happy to have a unique spinny.

Sailing Harmony is right about the dyes for the arcylic fabric sail covers.

Ann

Ann,

This variable experience is part of what led to the question. EVERYONE has put a spin away wet. They are the most commonly dunked sails on the boat, and the hardest to dry, especially at dusk after Wed evening racing. And sometimes you get stains. But really, rarely, in the grand scheme of things. It kind of raises the question, why? Why sometimes, but mostly not?

My friend is considering the other approach. Get it professionally tie dyed!
Closed Thread

Tags
spinnaker