Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Deck hardware: Rigging, Sails & Hoisting
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-10-2022, 16:56   #1

Boat: S&S Defiance 30 ft.
Splice 4mm dyneema double braid to 8mm polyester

For reefing lines I am using small blocks at the cringles and 4mm dyneema as the line. For handling and the line clutches I want to use 8mm double braid polyester. I have trawled the web but cannot find a splice for such an extreme transition. Can anyone advise please?
Old 21-10-2022, 17:04   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31
Re: Splice 4mm dyneema double braid to 8mm polyester

What's usually done in this case is the whole length of the line is dyneema, and a cover is added over it where it engages the clutch or gets pulled on. Or if bought with cover on, the unwanted cover is stripped off.
A transition as you describe is not often done and nowhere near full strength: you'd have to bury the polyester core of the 8mm into the center of the dyneema, tapering both, then milk the 8mm cover back over and bury the end of that into the dyneema, probably in 2 bundles of 11 strands and 1 of 10 (assuming the cover is 32-pick).
Old 21-10-2022, 17:15   #3

Boat: Dean 440 13.4m catamaran

i agree with ben

what we have always done in this sort of application is use dyneema for the full length, and then strip the cover off the section needed bare (obviously for less friction)

an extra cover to protect in the jammer can be useful too

cheers,
Old 21-10-2022, 19:40   #4

Boat: Yankee Dolphin 24'

I have successfully used the following instructions to splice 1/8" dyneema to 1/4" sta-set. https://l-36.com/halyard_splice.php. I expect that the same directions, scaling length by diameter, would work for any size, as long as the double-braid was 2x the diameter of the dyneema. Note that a couple of the steps are really tough, at least in the smaller sizes...
tenchiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2022, 02:09   #5

Boat: Outremer 55L

No need to splice.

We use bare UHMWPE (Acera Admunsen - no need to pay extra cost for Dyneema in this application) for our outhaul and reefing lines (8mm replacing the 14mm double braid polyester the boat came with).

For the first 1.5m off the boom we sew on a Dyneema chafe cover - sufficient length to go from the boom, through the reefing LFR, down and around the boom-end sheave). For the locations where we need to jam the line cover sewn on alone is not enough - you need to add an insert first, then a cover over top, for it to hold in the jammer. We use 4mm para cord inside 8mm UHMWPE, then a 14mm braided polyester cover. The cover needs to be sewn, not just whipped at the ends, as it will slip on the slippery UHMWPE.

Make sure that your line is UV protected. Generally quality Dyneema/UHMWPE that is 12 strand will be. However, a line with Dyneema core may not necessarily have UV protected the core - ask the manufacturer (not the dealer/distributor).
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2022, 06:01   #6
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

And you don't need 8m for handling. 6mm is plenty for lazy jacks. Plenty of people use smaller than that on a 30-foot boat. You don't need a jammer; a cleat will do fine.
Old 22-10-2022, 08:47   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
And you don't need 8m for handling. 6mm is plenty for lazy jacks. Plenty of people use smaller than that on a 30-foot boat. You don't need a jammer; a cleat will do fine.

I believe the OP was asking about reefing lines, not lazy jacks. I can't speak for anyone else, but I would find hauling in a 6mm reefing line on a 30' boat, even with decent gloves on, hard on my hands.
Cwens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2022, 17:42   #8

Boat: Outremer 55L

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisOwens View Post
I believe the OP was asking about reefing lines, not lazy jacks. I can't speak for anyone else, but I would find hauling in a 6mm reefing line on a 30' boat, even with decent gloves on, hard on my hands.

8mm uncovered UHMWPE on a 55’ cat’s reefing lines is just fine to hand handle. You do need a lot more turns on the winch however.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2022, 19:02   #9

Boat: S&S Defiance 30 ft.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I will probably go with a full length 4mm dyneema and a cover.
Old 23-10-2022, 20:02   #10
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisOwens View Post

Oops.

I'd go 6mm on the Dyneema. Cover the tails 8mm as suggested. Problem solved.

Tags
dyneema