Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-05-2024, 02:42   #1

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Splicing Cruising Double Braid Dyneema

I bought a piece of double braid dyneema to make a new staysail sheet, and when I went to splice it, I found that it was actually TRIPLE braid, with some gauzy cotton-like tube between the outer polyester cover and the thin dyneema 12-plait core.

WTF?

I've never used anything but racing-grade double braid dyneema on my boat before, and was baffled to discover this.

I use the Brian Toss method for splicing eyes in this stuff and am a bit baffled how to adapt the methodology. Theoretically, if I remove the gauzy hamburger-helper part from the whole end of the rope, it should make it easier to splice, since the hardest part of splicing dyneema double braid is stuffing the doubled part of the core into the cover.

Anyone encounter this? Tips?
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2024, 03:20   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31
Re: Splicing Cruising Double Braid Dyneema

This was popular among several manufacturers, most notably Gleistein and Lanex, who wanted to bulk up the rope to a certain diameter while using less of the expensive Dyneema in the core.
They said it was intended to keep cover/core slippage to a minimum, and it does to a certain extent, but it's a practice largely abandoned, since it adds no strength while adding bulk.
To splice it, simply milk the outer cover back to where the end of the bury will go, remove the gauzy inner cover there (you can taper, even, if you like), milk the main cover back, and proceed with the splice as normal. Because of the reduced volume going into the cover, it should be easier to get the splice in.
Old 02-05-2024, 03:25   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Evidently, the main difference between 'Cruising' and 'Racing' Dyneema will be the % Dyneema content in the core, or the Dyneema SK rating.

As Benz noted:
Some Dyneema lines have an additional mid-layer jacket. Generally this is a thin layer, that doesn’t provide strength to the line. It is cut away in the area of the line to be spliced, to provide room within the main outer jacket, to accommodate the extra fibres of the splice.

It is cut away in the area of the line to be spliced, to provide room within the main outer jacket, to accommodate the extra fibres of the splice.

LIROS Cruising Dyneema Dynamic Plus has an intermediate braid, between the cover and the inner core, to offset the diminished SK78 Dyneema content.

See ➥ https://jimmygreen.com/content/49-ru...tion-explained

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2024, 03:29   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benz View Post
This was popular among several manufacturers, most notably Gleistein and Lanex, who wanted to bulk up the rope to a certain diameter while using less of the expensive Dyneema in the core.
They said it was intended to keep cover/core slippage to a minimum, and it does to a certain extent, but it's a practice largely abandoned, since it adds no strength while adding bulk.
To splice it, simply milk the outer cover back to where the end of the bury will go, remove the gauzy inner cover there (you can taper, even, if you like), milk the main cover back, and proceed with the splice as normal. Because of the reduced volume going into the cover, it should be easier to get the splice in.

Thank you!! Really helpful!
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Walt Whitman
Old 02-05-2024, 03:30   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Evidently, the main difference between 'Cruising' and 'Racing' Dyneema will be the % Dyneema content in the core, or the Dyneema SK rating.

As Benz noted:
Some Dyneema lines have an additional mid-layer jacket. Generally this is a thin layer, that doesn’t provide strength to the line. It is cut away in the area of the line to be spliced, to provide room within the main outer jacket, to accommodate the extra fibres of the splice.

It is cut away in the area of the line to be spliced, to provide room within the main outer jacket, to accommodate the extra fibres of the splice.

LIROS Cruising Dyneema Dynamic Plus has an intermediate braid, between the cover and the inner core, to offset the diminished SK78 Dyneema content.

See ➥ https://jimmygreen.com/content/49-ru...tion-explained

Thanks!
Walt Whitman

Tags
cruising, dyneema