Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-10-2017, 07:09   #1

Boat: Southcoast 36
Spreader End Help

Hi all

Looking for some info on spreader ends. Am in the process of replacing the rigging and refurbishing the mast and am hoping for some sage advice.

1. Does anyone recognise the spreader ends in the pics below?

2. If so, where can I get a hold of a pair? Yacht is a 1982 36’ Southcoast 36 sloop - an Australian Yacht. Single spreader mast top rig.

3. Mast is down at the moment. When the mast goes back up with the shrouds in place, are the spreader end caps supposed to clamp onto and lock the shroud to the spreader?

4. If that is the case then I assume I stand the mast, get the rigging adjusted and tuned then go back up the mast, make sure the spreader bisects the angle and tighten up the end clamps so the shroud is locked onto the spreader end. Is this correct?

5. The existing spreader ends don’t appear to be able to lock the shroud down. There is some wear on the locking plate. If I cant get replacement ends (or fabricate replacements) do I use some sort of sleeve over the shroud to make sure it does lock in to the end of the spreader? What sort of material for the sleeve?

6. The ends look like some corrosion of the aluminium. This sleeve should also isolate the stainless shroud from the aluminium spreader. Is that correct?

7. If all this is not correct then do the spreader end clamps just hold the shroud in place at the end of the spreader and the spreader will slide on the spreader end?

Name:   IMG_0369.jpg
Views: 248
Size:  84.5 KB

Name:   IMG_0373.jpg
Views: 237
Size:  85.8 KB

Name:   IMG_0374.jpg
Views: 250
Size:  84.4 KB

Name:   IMG_0375.jpg
Views: 245
Size:  85.6 KB

Any assistance and recommended reference material/links appreciated. Thanks.

Winf
Winf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 08:32   #2

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only
Re: Spreader End Help

I don't know the answer to your spreader question, but I see that the paint is off the fitting, and I am wondering what you are going to do about coating it again with paint.

I am getting ready to do the same thing as you on my Privilege 39, and that means painting the mast and associated fittings.

I would like to know what you feel is the best way to paint those fittings.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 08:43   #3

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxingout View Post
I don't know the answer to your spreader question, but I see that the paint is off the fitting, and I am wondering what you are going to do about coating it again with paint.

I am getting ready to do the same thing as you on my Privilege 39, and that means painting the mast and associated fittings.

I would like to know what you feel is the best way to paint those fittings.
Painting aluminum can be a fool's errand unless it's done right and perfectly, and even then it can fail.

Ideally you would grind out ALL of the corrosion, down to clean metal, acid etch, alodyne it, prime it with a primer specifically formulated (or at least compatible) for aluminum, then top coat.

But the key thing is to isolate stainless fittings and fasteners from the aluminum spar/parts going forward, with Tef-gel, thin plastic plates, or both. Whatever it takes to keep them out of contact with each other. The repaint may (and probably will) fail sooner than you would like, but you'll be preventing the worst corrosion, which is not surface nicks and scratches on the spar but where you have dissimilar metals.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 05:18   #4

Boat: Southcoast 36

Click image for larger version

Name:	<a title=images.jpg Views: 67 Size: 10.5 KB ID: 157557" style="margin: 2px" />
Winf is offline   Reply With Quote