Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-06-2017, 07:59   #16

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!
Re: Spreader patches....

Personally, I'd skip rollers on Dyneema shrouds. But that's just a gut instinct. Primarily because I wouldn't want so much repeated, point loaded friction on them. With or without a cover on the Dyneema.

Though going to something like "rollers" shaped like tennis balls, & made of UHMWPE might be a decent option, perhaps???
Machine them to shape, drill for the shroud, band saw in half, & bolt in place overtop of some chafe sleeve. This in conjunction with Maxi Jacket or RP25.
That way you'd likely reduce the point loading by a decent amount. Knock on wood.

Time to call Colligo Marine, for some expert advice

Is chafe really that big of an issue with the sail? Especially with patches installed on it, possibly in conjunction with UHMWPE strips on the spreader tips.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2017, 08:43   #17

Re: Spreader patches....

Thanks for the comments everyone. I'm going to be very careful in the near term. and am still considering the patches/rollers. I'll keep you all posted.

Here is what I am dealing with up there. I have since shortened the upper spreaders by 3" to try and reduce the impact when sheeted in tight. It is a blade jib, but the leech still hits all that hardware up there when tacking.

paxfish is offline   Reply With Quote