Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-07-2021, 17:54   #1

Sta-lok install

I bought 4 sta-lok fittings and 1/8" 1x19 wire to make a new forestay and backstay for my SJ21. 2 of the cones (wedges) easily slide over the wire core and the other 2 I can't get over the wire. I noticed that the writing on the side looked different but both said 3mm & 1/8' (1 x 19) and that the ones I can't get on look smaller. Any idea what is going on?

jasonparallel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2021, 19:20   #2
cruiser

Boat: Hitchhiker, Catamaran, 40'
Re: Sta-lok install

Those cones are designed so that the outer strands go on the outside of the cone. Only the inner bundle of strands should pass through the hole. The cone with the smaller hole looks correct. The one with the larger hole does not. You have to unlay the outer strands a few wraps. Sometimes it is possible to insert the cone without unlaying if you have a clean enough cut. Also very important to make sure one of the strands does not end up in the slot. https://www.stalok.com/news/how-to-f...-fit-terminal/
Thumbs Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2021, 20:27   #3

Boat: Owner built 60’ Aluminum Expedition Yacht.

Thumb is correct. If us have a vernier caliper measure the hole the center core wire goes into, the widest part of the cone and the length. Call Sta-Loc and Tylaska who also makes cones.
If you don’t have a caliper use the smooth part of a drill.
There are some measurements on line .
I’ve never seen this before...very interesting.
Mark
Manateeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2021, 05:04   #4

Yes. This is with the outer set of wires unraveled. The best measurement I can get of the ID of the small cone is 1.75-1.8 mm while the inner bundle is ~ 2mm wide.

I'll see what sta-lok has to say

Thanks
Jason
Old 25-07-2021, 06:02   #5
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Are these terminals used? If a cone was used on a 3mm wire, it won’t fit a 1/8” wire anymore. Replace cones in that case.

If they are all new then it may be that you need to sand or file the strands to remove a burr…. or something is wrong with the cones.

Also, I don’t think you can use cones across brands. The Tylaska cones are for Norseman fittings iirc.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2021, 06:32   #6

Sta-lok is sending replacement wedges. It sounds like they had a batch that was mis-drilled.

Thanks for the ideas & info everyone