Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-05-2020, 12:19   #1

Boat: Owner built 60’ Aluminum Expedition Yacht.
Sta-Lok / Tef-Gel ,inspection and repair

Greetings all. I had an interesting conversation with a rigger who has considerable experience with larger yachts. He uses Tef-Gel for the former and wedge and Loctite on just the threads.
Comments?
Please describe your experiences with sealants, wedges and formers.
I’ve seen a lot of wedges rusted and pitted including those installed with a variety of sealants. Removing a rusted or glued in place former becomes a battle as the former is thin in the middle and difficult to grab.
Heat, picks, easy outs, taps...I use a custom tool with a sliding weight . Sort of an old reform school ignition popper. Ask not.
The former is difficult to polish in place. Clearly it looks like it should rotate during assembly but Sta-Lok in England suggested replacing the entire fitting if one has difficulty removing the former. They dodge the sealant question. The gentleman simply said that they do not use sealants in England.
Comments?
Kind regards to all, Mark the manatee.
Manateeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 16:45   #2

Re: Sta-Lok / Tef-Gel ,inspection and repair

Dont know sta locks , all the boats I work with are rod

With rod you always bed the head and collet in tefgel

On the threads You might consider a thread locked with telflon to prevent thread galling
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	30B4391A-4380-437C-8DDF-2608D3E080D2.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	449.4 KB
ID:	214175  
slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 15:58   #3

Boat: Tayana 37
Re: Sta-Lok / Tef-Gel ,inspection and repair

I prefer Hayn Hi-Mod fittings because the cones and crowns are reusable. Sta-Lok recommends they be replaced when you open them up for inspection. Spoke with an engineer at Hayn regarding their Hi-Mod fittings and he specifically say not to add sealant, only Loc-Tite Red on the threads.
Stainless needs to breathe, and no sealant on the planet is going to keep moisture from wicking down those twisted little wires and getting inside the fitting, never again able to escape. Kind of like chainplates passing through decks. Everything always looks great except for the part you can't see.
1977 Tayana 37 #91 S/V Ramble On

www.svrambleon.com
thereefgeek is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inspection