Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Deck hardware: Rigging, Sails & Hoisting
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-12-2016, 15:17   #16

Boat: Catalina 34 / Cheoy Lee Offshore
Re: Stabilize whisker pole without uphaul/downhaul

As mentioned earlier, but I'll add emphasis, the outer jaw of the whisker pole does NOTattach to the clew, it grabs the sheet, loosely. This way you can still furl your headsail up quickly in a tight situation..or come out of an accidental jibe in much better shape. ADDITIONALLY, you'll want to attach a block to your leeward bow cleat. Attach a line to the outboard section of wh pole,, run it thru the block, then back to the cockpit. This is your 'preventer' which can apply fwd tension to pole, but also be eased quickly from the helm. I dont understand the need for a topping lift. As long as your foot is loose enough to allow some 'scoop' to your sail, who cares if the leach is a little taught in light air? Your preventer will keep your pole from swinging aft and sail ready for a puff. Dig? Cheers, Pappy
PappysSailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2016, 15:40   #17
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PappysSailing View Post
I dont understand the need for a topping lift. As long as your foot is loose enough to allow some 'scoop' to your sail, who cares if the leach is a little taught in light air? Your preventer will keep your pole from swinging aft and sail ready for a puff. Dig? Cheers, Pappy
Topping lift means you can roll the sail away completely with the pole secure, helps a bit to reduce chaff as well. Offshore I really like the 3 points of attachment, on the main boom as well, so in light airs you can lock the boom and the pole solid so both sails can fill a bit fuller.
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2016, 17:29   #18

Boat: Bavaria 37 Cruiser

OK Pappys Sailing......this makes complete sense .... I see with this arrangement one does not need a topping lift AND one can furl the jib without having to go onto the foredeck..Thanks this has been very instructional ...and perhaps useful to other racers turning into blue water cruisers
Old 28-12-2016, 14:29   #19

Boat: Nauticat 32

As PappysSailing already said, you may want to connect the sheet loosely to the end of the pole, to be able to quickly furl the headsail in. And as conachair already said, you may want to tie the whisker pole upwards, and maybe in some other directions too, in order to keep it in place after you have furled the headsail in. That would sound to me like a nice safe arrangement for cruising (with the cost of having some extra lines).
Juho is offline   Reply With Quote