Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-07-2022, 08:29   #16

Boat: Hunter 46
Re: Standing rigging cost guesstimate

That is very fair price!! You can always make a material list and price it out then add labor cost estimate. If you still have a concern get a competitive quote.
Old 22-07-2022, 08:39   #17

Boat: Catalina 30

About $4K for a 30 ft Catalina with one upper and two lower shrouds each side plus fore & aft stays. New turnbuckles.

Not including crane fees and yard layup fees for mast if required..

Don't forget to add the costs of installing new electrical wiring / running lights in mast. The time to do this is with the mast down.

You can also replace the stays / shrouds one at a time without a rigger if climbing the mast does not bother you.

Bring the removed stays to a rigger (some West Marine locations have rigging shops) to have new one made and then reinstall.

cheers

sinnerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2022, 09:29   #18

YOU're in Grenada ? I'd say If you thought this was essential now, the price is probably very right. If you thought you could get to a place that is not an island very deep in the Caribbean and not have it cost lots, you might see a lesser price overall and probably less on materials. Do you know what the shop in Grenada has predicted in man hours ? Would love to know their rate !
Mlp48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2022, 10:51   #19

I did get the quote back from the shop in le Marin, Martinique. Almost the same price for the shrouds and turnbuckles.
Based on that fact and some of the responses here perhaps the Grenada shop isn't out of line.... damn it.
😕
svnilaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2022, 10:58   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mlp48 View Post
YOU're in Grenada ? I'd say If you thought this was essential now, the price is probably very right. If you thought you could get to a place that is not an island very deep in the Caribbean and not have it cost lots, you might see a lesser price overall and probably less on materials. Do you know what the shop in Grenada has predicted in man hours ? Would love to know their rate !

Turbulence in Grenada is 43USD per hour and they're quoting 13 hours total to make the 14 shrouds.
svnilaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2022, 11:28   #21

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 461

I got a quote for my Beneteau 461 from a rigger in Annapolis. This is generally a more expensive area but also has a lot of competition. It is $ 10K plus marina charges. If you like I can send you the quotation. The price for your boat rigging sounds ok. Still, it is expensive but not outragedly.
Peterbreit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2022, 11:31   #22

Boat: Catalina 30

You may want to consider something like Hi-Mod or Sta-Lok Compression Fittings instead of swaged on. Compression fittings can be reused in most circumstances so all you need is a length of wire rope of the proper diameter. If you carry some spare wire, you can even make replacements underway. We are in the mist of re-rigging and chose to go with Hi-Mod fittings. I did them myself, and it wasn't too bad once you get the hang of it.
OS2Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2022, 11:42   #23

Last year i rerigged my 36' ketch for 998$ wire, swages/ thimbles a pile of shackels and some turn buckles. How? Galvanized! Strong reliable cheap! Go shiny or go sailing!!!
Davidjones666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2022, 12:18   #24

Boat: Gozzard, 44CC, 50'

Make sure the wire is a high quality SS, preferably from the US. Some of the wire from china is suspect in it's SS formulation. Check wire and fittings with a STRONG magnet. Sta-lok will be more expensive than swaged and probably not reusable when time to re-rig. Compared to Annapolis the pricing appears to be only less than 10% higher. JMHO
Scrimshaw4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2022, 12:29   #25

Boat: Trident marine Voyager 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by svnilaya View Post
I did get the quote back from the shop in le Marin, Martinique. Almost the same price for the shrouds and turnbuckles.
Based on that fact and some of the responses here perhaps the Grenada shop isn't out of line.... damn it.
😕
How much would it be if you DIY with Sta-Lok?
Anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2022, 12:51   #26

Quote:
Curious if anyone can offer ball park figures of what you've paid for new standing rigging in the last 6-12 months.
I have a quote of around $9K for a 36' boat in the Chesapeake.
leecea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2022, 12:57   #27

Boat: Cascade 42

Sta-lok fittings would be around $170/shroud (eye and stud) at 12 stays $2K. Bulk wire 1*19 should be less than $1k. now those are US prices, but its a ball park. You can take one down at a time measure and replace. It is a pretty simple process. DIY ~$3500 with some new tools.
pdx_sailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2022, 17:38   #28

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Sta-lok will be more expensive than swaged and probably not reusable when time to re-rig.
Yes, more expensive than swages, but industry-wide experience says t hat they will indeed be reusable... and in my personal experience, definitely so.

Jim
Old 22-07-2022, 17:47   #29

Boat: Catalina 380

Had a complete standing rigging replacement done last year on a Catalina 380 by a reputable rigging shop in the San Francisco Bay area and it was $6,500. They did all of the work. They didn't pull the mast, did it all from a bosun's chair. We also had them install new 3 halyards ($800) and new lifelines ($1,300). Makes the boat look new, and we sleep better at night. I wouldn't trust my own work on a Norseman or similar system as I have no experience with it, and one bad fitting can bring the whole thing down in high winds and seas, of which we have plenty in SF!
bnork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2022, 19:59   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by svnilaya View Post
😕
Check out sailing with thomas on be free having his rig redone in le marin, he was very satisfied.
https://youtu.be/vtcUqAih8dI
Caleb_Grey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rigging