Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-07-2015, 06:29   #61

Re: Standing Rigging-should I be worried?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fryewe View Post
If enough heat was built up in the grinding the SS characteristics can be altered and it can become less corrosion resistant.
I'm curious about this, considering part of the steel production process involves heating the metal up to the melting point. Also, I have seen a lot of welded stainless fittings which again take the metal past the melting point. Hard to imagine an angle grinder causing problems.

Is it because the aforementioned processes are occur in an anaerobic environment while grinding is not?
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 09:14   #62

Boat: Niagara 35
Re: Standing Rigging-should I be worried?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delancey View Post
I'm curious about this, considering part of the steel production process involves heating the metal up to the melting point. Also, I have seen a lot of welded stainless fittings which again take the metal past the melting point. Hard to imagine an angle grinder causing problems.

Is it because the aforementioned processes are occur in an anaerobic environment while grinding is not?
I can't speak to the corrosion resistance part, but the time history of temperature is very important for the grain structure and therefore physical properties of metals.

For example, this is why you see things like old blacksmiths "quenching" a horseshoe by plunging it in water. This makes it much harder and stronger.

Tags
rigging