Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-10-2011, 14:48   #1

Boat: Looking for a new boat
Stick Up Halyard Storage

When you store your boat with the mast up through the winter do you pull your halyards off? If so is there a good way to do this so that you are guaranteed not to loose whatever dummy line you send up in its stead?
unbusted67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2011, 14:54   #2
CLOD

Boat: none
Re: Stick Up Halyard Storage

In years past I haven't pulled or done anything to the halyards. But this year I'm thinking of wraping the ends with something for UV protection, attaching a messager line to pull back down in the spring, and pulling them to the top. This is so they don't get UV exposure all winter.
Old 25-10-2011, 19:48   #3

Boat: Looking for a new boat

I was thinking of attaching a messenger and just taking the halyards all the way out. I just worry that if I am using a smaller line as the messenger I might jam or slip a sheev at the masthead. That would be bad.
unbusted67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2011, 09:38   #4

Boat: CS 36t

I pull through an old retired halyard that is the same size line. It eliminates the problems with having the wrong size line and realistically, it could support a lot of weight if necessary.

To attach the two lines, I sew together the two ends so they but up together nicely and then put 2 turns of duct tape over it to make it ride nicely. The sewing takes the load and the duct tape provides the alignment.
klem is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
halyard, storage