Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-11-2016, 06:00   #1

Boat: 1962 Sunfish
Storm sail dimensions?

RIG DIMENSIONS:
TALL:
I: 43.00'/13.11m
J: 13.15'/4.01m
P: 37.50'/11.43m
E: 12.00'/3.66m
SA (100%): 507.73ft2/47.17m2

BOWSPRIT OPTION (STD):
I: 41.00'/12.50m
P: 37.00'/11.28m
SA (100%): 491.58ft2/45.67m2

Does anyone know the dimensions for a furlingsail that could be considered a storm jib? My sail guy says it should be 35% but I don't know how to figure that and he doesn't have the time to tell me.

And same question for maybe a 90% sail? All I have on my boat is a 135 and for most of the winter in Gulfport Mississippi that is too much sail. I'm trying to find something used.
Madwand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 06:19   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon
Re: Storm sail dimensions?

Mad,

This might help you... look up some standard sizes, than hit ebay and CL for something similar... Really, all you need is to cut down your I/J by whatever percentage you're wanting... Close to your I and J as listed for your 90/100/110... Watch your luff length and tape size for fit... There are an infinite # of sails that would work, some better than others...

https://www.catalinadirect.com/index...dimensions.cfm

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 06:27   #3

Kent Sail Storm Jib for Sale
Price: $100
Luff: 17 feet 4 inches
Leech: 20 feet
Foot: 9 feet
Excellent, like-new condition.
Comes with sail bag.

I was looking at this one, but my sail guy says that the luff and leech must be backwards from looking at the picture. But then he says it would be too small for my boat. Great price, great condition, sometimes I just want too small?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B96...w?usp=drivesdk
Old 06-11-2016, 06:38   #4

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madwand View Post
Kent Sail Storm Jib for Sale
Price: $100
Luff: 17 feet 4 inches
Leech: 20 feet
Foot: 9 feet
Excellent, like-new condition.
Comes with sail bag.

I was looking at this one, but my sail guy says that the luff and leech must be backwards from looking at the picture. But then he says it would be too small for my boat. Great price, great condition, sometimes I just want too small?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B96...w?usp=drivesdk
You can't really go too small with a storm jib, within reason, particularly if you only expect to use it in full-on storms. And that one is (assuming the luff is 20'), just under half the length of your forestay, which is appropriate.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 06:42   #5

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
Does anyone know the dimensions for a furlingsail that could be considered a storm jib? My sail guy says it should be 35% but I don't know how to figure that and he doesn't have the time to tell me.

And same question for maybe a 90% sail? All I have on my boat is a 135 and for most of the winter in Gulfport Mississippi that is too much sail. I'm trying to find something used.
Honestly, no furling sail could be considered a storm jib. It should not even go on the foil.

One option to consider is having your 135 recut to something more manageable, like 110.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 07:10   #6

The reason for the 135 is because Gulfport in the summer only sees about 10 mile per hour winds on average, at best.

I figured for less than $200, it gives me a second sail for heavy winds. It wasn't necessarily for storm conditions. Right now I have no in between and my continuous roller reefer cannot be relied on for the 135.
Old 06-11-2016, 14:56   #7

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Hi Manwand,

That sail will need more grommets in the luff, in any event. If the luff is 17 ft. , as suggested, for a storm sail, the grommets for the hanks should be about 1 ft. apart. However, it is also not cut with a high clew, which is usual, also, for a storm jib.

Keep looking, but in the interim, draw yourself a page on some quadrille paper and do the arithmetic for 100% down to 30% , so as to better visualize what you're looking for. At least, that helps me.

Ann
Old 06-11-2016, 15:00   #8

I would if I understood the math, I's and J's and P's don't draw a sail for me. It's already sold anyway, but why wouldn't it have just made a good small sail?
Old 06-11-2016, 15:17   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
I would if I understood the math, I's and J's and P's don't draw a sail for me. It's already sold anyway, but why wouldn't it have just made a good small sail?
I think using the word "Storm" has confused members when what you want is just a smaller perhaps tougher jib. We bought an e bay special for £50 ($70) which is about 80% because if we damaged the elderly Genoa then we only had a proper storm jib on board. When the sail turned up the cloth is still crispy and my sail maker said "bargain". I would have liked a a little larger but at the price well.....

I have no intention of sailing in a storm and with good weather forecasting am unlikely to. However, being caught out in a gale is a possibility and indeed we have on a 15 hour English Channel crossing. So having a spare smaller sail on board gives us more options over the 140% Genoa. The hanks on the 80% were removed and an extended luff rope installed so the furling swivel is still at the same height as a full sized Genoa so it rolls properly for £80. I have since found out that the sail came from a day sailing / racing keel boat and since the class is very competitive they change sails frequently leaving lots of lightly used sails for others.

Keep looking as something will turn up eventually, took me 2 years for the sail and another 2 years for a spare prop of the right size.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 15:18   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by around View Post

From the sketch you can calculate the area of the fore triangle.

The 35% figure recommended by you sail maker gives you a WHOPPER of a storm jib.

I'd think around 50 ft^2 would be heaps.

A lot of the sailmakers have generic storm jibs pre-made with a selection table for your perusal. Google is your friend.
Seaslug Caravan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 15:24   #11

there u go

http://www.allmarine.com.au/shop/yac...b-full-orange/
Seaslug Caravan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 15:28   #12

Peter, correct, the guy was selling a storm sail. I was buying a small sail.

Seaslug, I'm familiar with the picture. It's where I got I, J, P from. I don't think multiplying those measurements by 35% gives any numbers I can use, or it if did, I didn't know what to do with them. I don't see a dimension that gives the leech length.

I don't know what you mean by whopper, really big storm jib?
Old 06-11-2016, 15:44   #13

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
RIG DIMENSIONS:
TALL:
I: 43.00'/13.11m
P: 37.50'/11.43m
SA (100%): 507.73ft2/47.17m2
I have just looked our dimensions since your yacht is broadly similar. They are:

I: 38.5ft
J: 12.5 ft
P: 33.5 ft
E: 11.5 ft
SA, main = 193 ft2, Genoa 365 ft2, totalling 558 ft2

Our storm jib by comparison is 75 ft2. I have flown it in good weather and it looks huge but it fits with the general measurements given in the link above by Seaslug.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 15:50   #14

So your Mast is 5 feet shorter than mine, and Seaslug said I would want a 50 square foot storm sail?
Old 06-11-2016, 15:53   #15

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Mad, you are missing one more letter(s): the LP of a headsail! That number is the Luff Perpendicular (LP) of the sail, and that is the length of a line that goes through the clew of the sail and is perpendicular to the luff. The "per cent" of a headsail is the LP divided by J, so your genoa's LP is 1.3 times your J dimension, and a 30% storm sail would be 0.3 times J.

For the application you describe, what is called a "blade" sail would be good. This is a full hoist sail with an LP of 90 to 100 % of J. They are very good for going to windward, and surprisingly good off the wind in many boats. I'd guess that such a sail, rolled up about 1/3 (which is usually ok in terms of shape) would work up to around 25-30 knots apparent, if coupled woth a suitably reefed mainsail. In your case, with a seasonal change in wind expectations, changing sails twice a year might well cover the needs.

Jim

Tags
men, sail