Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-09-2012, 18:51   #16

This thread (no punn intended) reminds me of last year's delivery home for the winter, about an 80 mi trip. Early in the morning of our 1st day, in about 15 knots, I blew out the strapping on the jib clew. Three straps stitched to the sail's clew ring had all worn through.

We really needed that sail! I remembered that in nearby Clinton, CT there's a canvas shop, Custom Covers, right on the dock at the Cedar Island Marina. I gave a quick call, they said they thought they could handle it, I changed course and was tied up there in about 45 minutes. My crew helped me pull the sail down and lug it up to the shop where the guys had it fixed with three new straps before I had time to make a sandwich. Those guys were terrific!

After setting sail and flying that genny for the next 8 hours, I couldn't help but think what a remarkable pit stop that was, and a really great stroke of good luck! Fixed and underway in no time at all!

As for the sail design, I think in the future I'd have a single large grommet pressed into the sail for the clew instead of a ring with straps. That's what I recall was the old fashioned way of doing things, and pretty darn fool proof.

Capt'n Q
S/V Aquila
Bermuda Forte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2012, 21:43   #17
Marine Service Provider

Re: Strapping material for clew block

We use Spectra webbing extensively for larger cruising boat sails. When you take the sail into the sailmaker, have him check the webbing straps at the head. I've seen those fail quite often and it means a trip up the rig when they fail.
islandplanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2012, 21:44   #18
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bermuda Forte View Post
This thread (no punn intended)
As for the sail design, I think in the future I'd have a single large grommet pressed into the sail for the clew instead of a ring with straps. That's what I recall was the old fashioned way of doing things, and pretty darn fool proof.

Capt'n Q
S/V Aquila
The furling mains need a block.
For a regular main, best thing is a stainless ring webbed on. It's easy enough to cover the webbing straps with UV protection.
Old 26-09-2012, 15:37   #19
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Thanks to all for chiming in.

I called my sailmaker (the Hood loft in Sausalito), and he concurred that the damage was primarily due to UV, although he also pointed out that this sail has a lot more miles on it than most six-year-old sails. Bottom line is that he talked me out of using Spectra webbing, saying that it won't hold up to UV any better than polyester, and opining that with the new way I've asked him to install the UV cover the problem should be solved for the expected life of this sail.

He did mention, tongue in cheek, that the Spectra would shave a few grams off the weight of my sail. Probably not a big selling point, as he would know, on a boat carrying 50 fathoms of chain.
Old 26-09-2012, 20:53   #20
Marine Service Provider

Bash,

Robin is a good guy and I'm glad to hear you're getting it resolved. Spectra is more for applications where you need strength that polyester won't provide. Most webbing failures I see are from exposure.