Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Deck hardware: Rigging, Sails & Hoisting
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-11-2020, 01:41   #31

Boat: plastic production boat, suitable for deep blue water ;)
Re: Strong enough cordless drill to winch up sails

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi Dave View Post
In stead of using an existing winchhandle and demolishing that, consider buying one of these Harken adapters. There are solid steel, or even SS? not alloy.
Around $80 in Oz
https://www.amazon.com.au/Harken-Pow...78501237&psc=1
Old 22-11-2020, 16:53   #32

Boat: plastic production boat, suitable for deep blue water ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
A good question! And for those who live elsewhere, be advised that Milwaukee, in their wisdom, do not import any of the 28 V line into this fair country.

We brought ours back as carry-on luggage from a trip to the states, quite some years ago now.

Jim
As Jim said, the 28 Volt Milwaukee range is not imported into Oz anymore. You can still buy via ebay and the like direct from USA, both with 110 Volt chargers and 230 Volt (that are destined for the EU).

You can order 110 volt from USA and get 2nd hand a 230 Volt charger cheaply in Oz on gumtree or marketplace. I have the Milwaukee, but have both voltages on my boat.
Old 04-01-2021, 17:57   #33

Boat: Duncanson 43 foot

I have just gone back into the market for an electric angle drill to raise my main. Previously had a Winchrite but the firs failed under warranty and the second started showing it's limitations so it was sold whilst still working - very good for a smaller boat with a less heavy main. We purchased the Milwaukee M18 (we live in Australia and the higher voltage Milwaukees need to be imported which is a delay and expensive for freight. The M18 simply didn't cut the mustard and couldn't raise the main. Fortunately I took it straight back to the trade store and upgraded to a DeWalt DCD470N-XJ 54V FlexVolt. Twice the weight of the M18, but hopefully will do the job. Trying to compare the torque ratings was a challenge as the Milwaukee M28 varied from source to source - also not lcear if they were quoting Foot Pounds or Inch Pounds? Hopefully the DeWalt will be the end of our attempts to have a cordless method of raisng the main!
Miss Saigon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 05:39   #34

Boat: 2010 Jeanneau SO 44i

FLEXVOLT 60-Volt MAX Lithium-Ion Cordless Brushless 1/2 in. Stud and Joist Drill with Battery 2.0Ah, Charger & Tool Bag.

The stud and joist Dewalt just hoisted my 225 lb boat partner up to the top of my 57 ft mast in less than 2min, it would have been a straight run but I had to stop along the way to tend to the safety line. This drill is the next drill up in the Dewalt line, I have Dacron sails on a 44 ft vessel, the main weighs in at about 90 lbs the joist drill hoists that puppy in about 30 seconds in the two speed harken wench.
400$ from Home Depot state side.
Kd9truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2022, 00:03   #35

Boat: Fusion 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by catalystcat View Post
Last week, I watched a professional rigging crew use the Dewalt 60V on several boats during the day. I spoke with them when they went up my mast to replace a couple of things. The guys said they love it. Said they used to have a different one. But, the Dewalt was easier to use, had extra torque, and could go pretty much all day for them.
I was impressed enough that this is on my shopping list.
Hi Catalystcat

Hope you are well😊.
I'm looking at the dewalt to go up the mast and read your post and was wondering which dewalt the riiging crew used and loved.
Was it the short stubby one or the big beast that resembles a large angle grinder? Both are 54v that I can see on dewalt tools the bigger beast could squeeze into tighter joist locations etc. I think the shorty stubby one is 130 to 140nm of torque. The big guy is I think 240nm.
Just wondering if you remember the one the rigging crew used😊
I am leaning towards the shorter stubby version.
Thanks
martyn
Jawani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2022, 05:17   #36

Boat: St Francis MKII 50'

It's the Dewalt 60V FlexVolt angle drill. (I use it on my boat).
I don't think any of my smaller DeWalt drills would have the torque to lift someone. And, they would be harder to control. The bigger drill has grips that let you hold it with both hands. It is bit of a beast. The nice thing is that you can charge the FlexVolt with a regular DeWalt charger.
catalystcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2022, 05:19   #37

Boat: St Francis MKII 50'

I think mine is the older version of the Dewalt DCD460. One of the other 60V drills would probably work.
catalystcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2022, 05:26   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jawani View Post
Hi Catalystcat

Hope you are well😊.
I'm looking at the dewalt to go up the mast and read your post and was wondering which dewalt the riiging crew used and loved.
Was it the short stubby one or the big beast that resembles a large angle grinder? Both are 54v that I can see on dewalt tools the bigger beast could squeeze into tighter joist locations etc. I think the shorty stubby one is 130 to 140nm of torque. The big guy is I think 240nm.
Just wondering if you remember the one the rigging crew used😊
I am leaning towards the shorter stubby version.
Thanks
martyn

Hi, what is not in the narrative in my previous post is the R&D ( research and development), We (FDNY R&D ) we’re testing entire tool lines of these brands for purchase to outfit 220 search and Rescue companies. I was one of the Captains of this unit overseeing the testing, I had a personal interest in the drills, this testing was extensive and took over 2 years, first in controlled bench testing, then with our Bureau of training, and finally field testing for 6 months, over 2500 firefighters reviewed each tools performance.

First.
PLEASE FOR GIVE ME TEXT SHOUTING, LITHIUM TOOLS ARE PRONE TO OVER HEATING AND CATCHING ON FIRE…DONT CHARGE YOUR TOOLS UNSUPERVISED ON YOUR VESSEL.
scooters, electric skate boards, e bikes, and yes tools have been catching fire and killing people in there homes, ….again sorry for being emphatic.
(Back to the topic)
This is true of all tools battery or corded:
If you buy a tool of lesser power, and use it regularly close to its working limit, you will burn the tool out faster, the higher the working load limit of a tool, the less the tool works under lighter loads, the longer the life of the tool.
Why?
Because the closer the tools every day task to the working limit, the higher the temps reached by the tools motor…..you literally will burn the tool out..you will be able to smell the plastic components that make the tool light being heated and if hot enough they will start melting.

So the smaller lighter tool will last a fraction of its intended life cycle….costing you more to replace it, the drill below I have had now for 4 years. My vessels mast is 57 feet from the cabin top, my Dacron main is 90 lbs, my mast monkey (best friend and sail companion) is 220 lbs with gear, the drill below lifts him the hole way with ease.

FLEXVOLT 60-Volt MAX Lithium-Ion Cordless Brushless 1/2 in. Stud and Joist Drill with Battery 2.0Ah, Charger & Tool Bag.
Old 18-07-2022, 05:53   #39

Hi

Yes I agree you are right about loading up the smaller drills to their working limits leading to shorter lifespan etc. I'm definitely keen on longevity with power tools especially when at sea and you need one to perform at the most inappropriate time.
Your input is much appreciated.
Thankyou.
Old 18-07-2022, 06:05   #40

Hi I'm definitely keen on one
Both of these are the 54v which should do the job. The smaller chunky one 140nm of torque pushed hard and 130nm soft
O-300 rpm in low gear.
Do you have one of these?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20220718_225550.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	287.4 KB
ID:	261141   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20220718_225645.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	277.4 KB
ID:	261142  

Old 18-07-2022, 06:07   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jawani View Post
Hi I'm definitely keen on one
Both of these are the 54v which should do the job. The smaller chunky one 140nm of torque pushed hard and 130nm soft
O-300 rpm in low gear.
Do you have one of these?
The bottom pic of the drill is the larger more powerful of the 2 and heavier.
Old 18-07-2022, 06:10   #42
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

it's very awkward holding a big drill on a wench .. especially for the ones who needed help in the first place
Old 18-07-2022, 16:33   #43

I have the boxy one. The other longer sleeker drill came out in the last 4 years… I think.
Old 18-07-2022, 16:38   #44

Yes I tend to think the same of the larger one being a bit awkward. Thank you for your thoughts😊.
Old 18-07-2022, 16:42   #45

Yes it is the more powerful and heavier of the 2.

I will choose the smaller chunkier one. Thank you for your input on this post for me. I will send in a review on it when the time arrives.

Tags
sail, sails, winch