Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-06-2014, 06:44   #1

Boat: None at the moment
Stupid Knot Question

I am pretty sure I know the answer, but dumb things like this can sometimes keep me up at night. I am pretty nerdy about knots and love learning and practicing as much as I can. I am left handed and have noticed through the years that it causes me to tie knots backwards from instructional videos, photos, etc. They still seem to do their job, so I assume it doesn't matter, but I'd like to make sure.

Take for instance the simple round turn and two half hitches: I know the half hitches both need to be tied in the same direction, but as long as they are consistent, does it matter in which direction that is?
DaBod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2014, 07:00   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris
Re: Stupid Knot Question

Grogs Knots will allow you to invert, mirror and rotate any knot tying instruction. Here for example is the bow line, look in top right corner for mirror etc
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2014, 07:28   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
Grogs Knots will allow you to invert, mirror and rotate any knot tying instruction. Here for example is the bow line, look in top right corner for mirror etc
Very helpful, thank you! Not sure how I've never noticed those options in the upper left hand corner.
Old 17-06-2014, 09:34   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBod View Post
Take for instance the simple round turn and two half hitches: I know the half hitches both need to be tied in the same direction, but as long as they are consistent, does it matter in which direction that is?
Nice to meet a fellow nerdy knot lover .

Yes, it does matter, but the easy, instinctive direction is the correct one in this case (if that makes sense, you need to give the tail a weird twist otherwise ).

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2014, 12:00   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
Nice to meet a fellow nerdy knot lover .

Yes, it does matter, but the easy, instinctive direction is the correct one in this case (if that makes sense, you need to give the tail a weird twist otherwise ).
Nice to meet you as well!

That's kind of my issue...I am not sure I can blame it solely on my left handedness, but more the way that seems to make certain things instinctive.

I'll see if I can explain: with the round turn and two half hitches, the "instinctive direction" in my mind is to lead the tag end under the standing line and then up and through to form a half hitch. Most videos/images, however, take it over the top of the standing line. From what I can tell, the result is the same, but I also tend to make things far more complicated than they need to be. Pretty sure I can't blame that on being left handed, but more on some sort of awful curse...
Old 17-06-2014, 12:23   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBod View Post
Nice to meet you as well!

That's kind of my issue...I am not sure I can blame it solely on my left handedness, but more the way that seems to make certain things instinctive.

I'll see if I can explain: with the round turn and two half hitches, the "instinctive direction" in my mind is to lead the tag end under the standing line and then up and through to form a half hitch. Most videos/images, however, take it over the top of the standing line. From what I can tell, the result is the same, but I also tend to make things far more complicated than they need to be. Pretty sure I can't blame that on being left handed, but more on some sort of awful curse...
Ah, I see now what you mean about 'the wrong direction'. Because it is slower leading the line under if you are tying the knot on a bollard, than laying it on the top (and speed is often of an essence in this situation), then I have never been tempted to do it this way. Try tying the knot around a bollard rather than a horizontal pole and you will see what I mean.

I am no expert (just an enthusiastic novice), but I think the security would be worse passing it under. Putting it on top would apply pressure differently (in hitches you typically pass the line OVER the standing end if the standing end is closest to you). 'Over' and 'under' references are as if it is tied on a pole. Simple concepts like this make it much easier remembering how to tie knots.

I will take some photos tomorrow and try and post them to show you what I mean. Internet is not good on board.

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2014, 13:24   #7

Thank you for the information! I would love to see some photos and will practice on a bollard this evening.

This "backwards" thing doesn't seem to be as much of an issue on some (midshipman's hitch, rolling hitch, etc.) because it is easy to see and test if the knot "works" as it should. The RT & 2 HH is a bit more haunting, because it will hold if tied "backward" but it is difficult to test its strength under load when practicing on the back patio.
Old 17-06-2014, 14:34   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

"Handedness" can matter on laid or twisted rope, it will affect the tendency to slip and could possibly affect the tendency to capsize. (Not sure about breaking, but I could see where it may have an effect on this)

Logically, it should irrelevant on braided rope.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2014, 14:50   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
"Handedness" can matter on laid or twisted rope, it will affect the tendency to slip and could possibly affect the tendency to capsize. (Not sure about breaking, but I could see where it may have an effect on this)

Logically, it should irrelevant on braided rope.
I like this very logical insight and I totally agree, but then another questions follows. Is there a standard in line manufacturing that results in all line being laid or twisted in the same direction?
Old 17-06-2014, 15:21   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Rope can be S or Z laid. Using the ISO 2 nomenclature where the centre stroke of the letter illustrated the direction of the lay as the rope. The vast majority are Z or right handed twist.

ISO 2 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2014, 19:44   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

'not surprised that the vast majority are all the same. This makes me think of the natural dominance of "L" over "D" optical isomers among amino acids. None the less, it's abitrary when it comes to line and knots. Change the twist direction and the reverse or "mirror image" of the knot is the same in way of function.

Tags
knot