Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-09-2007, 16:31   #16

Boat: Outbound 44
Take a look at the Precourt stuff for some reasonably priced, innovative synthetic rigging solutions. I'm going to setup a removable inner stay using their stuff.
Precourt Systems - Internationally recognized for our synthetic rigging systems

Paul L
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 18:01   #17

Boat: In the market
I looked at the precort site and 1 shroud for a farrier 31 with the optional UV protection is over $800. Thats not so bad!
Old 12-09-2007, 19:34   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
UV protection for all this high tech fiber is not optional unless you keep the boat in a garage all the time.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2007, 11:26   #19

Boat: Outbound 44
The UV protection is an added protection beyond the basic UV designed to get you a few more years of use.

I did not mean to imply that the synthetic rigging was cheap and ready for the average sailor. For certain specific applications on cruising boats it is a reasonable choice. If you compare prices when you include all the end fittings, it can be comparable, and give some advantages. Rod certainly isn't cheap either, but is used on a lot of cruising boats these days. I certainly wouldn't have spec a cruising boat with synthetic rigging at this point, but I sure would take advantage of modern fiber where applicable.

Paul L
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2007, 12:58   #20

Actually, I would...

When looking over a mfg's website recently I ran across a cost comparison of dynex w/dead eyes vs stainless with turnbuckles, and the dynex (7 yrs UV at tropical) came out about $40 cheaper on a 50' cap shroud. That's not a huge savings, but the fact it's even close to par with stainless suggests that with its additional benefits it becomes more attractive than stainless.

But, again, that's comparing for new construction, or complete replacement.

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog anchored in a coral atoll.
Amgine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2008, 05:23   #21

Boat: Searunner 34 and Searunner Constant Camber 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy M View Post
I'll have a better answer in February after I've switched over to synthetics. My boat is a 40' Searunner trimaran. Fritz Richardson of Pacific Offshore Riggers is working with me to overhaul my whole rig. Fritz has had significant offshore multihull experience, once owned a sister ship to mine, and will be owning another multi in the near future. We will be converting to reduce weight aloft and improve performance. I am already using Amsteel blue for my steering cables. I love it. It's easy to work with, it's compatible with standard turnbuckles, it's light and strong and holds up to wearing on the sheaves. And since I can buy stuff at commercial rates, it's not ridiculously priced. This coming summer I will be testing everything in the Santa Barbara Channel, sailing to weather all afternoon in high winds and punishing seas, retreating to a quiet cove on Santa Cruz Island in the evening to lick my wounds and clean up the vomit, etc., then off again the next day. I'll keep this up until stuff gets stowed correctly, gear stops breaking, or I run out of strength, money or companionship. Then I'll get back to you with my findings.
So, ummm, time for that status report?

Maren

The sea is always beautiful, sometimes mysterious and, on occasions, frighteningly powerful.
Maren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2008, 07:20   #22

<chuckle> I've been hoping someone would revive this or another synthetic rig thread... We need some real-life experiences.

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog anchored in a coral atoll.
Amgine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2008, 07:30   #23

Whether your agree with it for replacing your standing rigging or not, it is a great tool in the 'emergency repair kit' catagory. A few hundred feed don't take up much room (much less than a coil of spare 1x19), can be spliced into an eye quickly, and used to replace a broken shroud to get you home. While my standing rigging is 1 x 19, I use Amsteel for my running backs, and for lifelines with a dacron cover.
Great stuff.

Scot
jaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2008, 08:52   #24

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS
Um, Maren....... Did I say WHICH February? Time has a way of slipping past us. I haven't begun, yet, on the rigging. I haven't been slacking, just distracted by other projects that seemed higher priority. I've rationalized it by telling myself I'm still designing and planning. Any port in a storm. The truth is much closer to trying to finish the exterior of the boat (including the next up project, the hard dodger) before doing the rig. And to further compound the rationalization, to decide if I want to go with a full batten main or continue with the traditional rig. The total cost of overhauling the mast and rigging is large enough to cause me to pause and reflect on priorities of expenditures. I'm vain enough to want to have a shiny cabintop to go along with the repainted hulls. I realize that I'm really rambling now, desperately searching for a convincing rationale for not doing what really needs to be done to make WILDERNESS a speedier sailboat. But, shine is shine, and sometimes that trumps reason and good sense. Check with me later, though. I deeply appreciate that someone is holding me accountable for my fantasies.
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 17:09   #25

Boat: Searunner 34 Trimaran
Send a message via Skype™ to Rann
Roy,

Not only is Maren holding your feet to the fire, I am too! February is just a short time away, and learning about your bashing about up Santa Cruz Island way, has got my heart pounding. I did a lot of diving up there in the 60's and 70's and sorely miss the area.

I will be heading south again in about a week and hope to get back on ETAK for more of the on-going work that I left behind in September. Maybe we can get together and compare notes during this next trip my wife and I make from cool Oregon to sunny SoCal.

Rann
Rann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 17:33   #26

Boat: 45 custom steel ketch-Steelin Time
Go stainless rigging

They claim 7 years for stainless rigging? Do you know anybody that has replaced their rigging in 10 just because it was due. How about 15? Sure you might replace something if there is a chafe problem, but a good rig shouldn't have that. My boat has had it's stainless rigging for 30 years and never a problem. Most true cruising boats I assume are much like mine, the rigging will last the life of the boat. Racing boats that have less of a safety factor might consider replacement. I sure wouldn't expect to get a 30 year life out of any synthetic. Not worth the money in my books.

I'm not anti synthetic, after all I helped design and test the first fiberglass Highway bridges and taught courses in composite materials. Just don't put it in the sun and expect it to last forever. Jon
Old 09-12-2008, 08:45   #27

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS
Not this February, but thanks for the interest. Today we are having a mild Santana, so it's paint prep for the week. I just finished the third coat on the fixed port rims, and am building some small improvements on the cabinsides (pictures later) so I can get the LP done before the rains hit. You're welcome to visit, though.

I'm getting ready to build the hard dodger, remove the mast for overhaul, and paint the cockpit and decks. But, because I can't hold back the eventual rain, these tasks will get deferred to drier times, leaving a slot open for doing the interior projects such as the new reefer/freezer and some painting and cabinetwork changes. Fantasy is such a powerful motivator.
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 12:30   #28
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jheldatksuedu View Post
... My boat has had it's stainless rigging for 30 years and never a problem. Most true cruising boats I assume are much like mine, the rigging will last the life of the boat...
I too, have happily sailed a boat with a 30 y/o rig, but I CERTAINLY wouldn't take it offshore "as is".
A cruising boat will, without any doubt (in my mind) "use up" it's standing rig in 10 - 20 years.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 13:34   #29

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable
For what it is worth, we have just recently replaced all the standing rigging on our 40' IOR "1-tonner"... The mast is about 60' long, so around 54' above deck, 3/4 factional rigged with in-line spreaders.

We repalced
2 x Cap shrouds
2 x Intermediates
2 x Lowers
1 x forestay

According to the rigger, the were all at least 15 years old and although he did not think that there was anythign wrong with them, he advised replacing for insurance purposes (basically, insurers probably won't pay out for a mast failure if the standing rigging is that old, irregardless of the reason for failure).

The above items were all replaced with new 316 wire, for a total of just under $AUD 2000 ($US 1300).

I also replaced the runners and check stays. These were also 316 stainless, but I replaced them with V100 (Vectran with braided cover - 3/8" for the runners, 1/4" for the checks). These cost a total of $AUD 800 ($US 525).

So the synthetic rigging was quite price-competitive with ths stainless, but the runners and checkstays are not static rigging, so stretch / creep is not an issue.

FWIW we have also replaced 2 stainless headsail halyards with Spectra and a stainless main halyard with Vectran. I'm not sure how much weight we have saved upthe mast, but it would be substantial.
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 17:26   #30

Boat: 34' Searunner Tri
Synthetic Searunner

There are a number of folks hanging out here lately: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...tml#post231497

Below you can see my new rig. It is a double spreader cutter. 34' Trimaran. I am replacing 1/4" and 7/32" wire.
In the photo is upper and lower shrouds in 7mm. Headstay 9mm, staysail stay 9mm, baby stay 9mm, backstay 9mm and backstay bridle 7mm. I am missing in this shot is a pair of 30ft. running backstay's 7mm and a set of lower aft shrouds in 7mm. All Dynex Dux and all spliced with a locking brummel splice to Colligo Terminators or deadeyes.
I originally weighed my wires and most turnbuckles at 48 lbs. I weighed in today at 15 lbs....YEA!!!
If I look happy here...(I am holding my entire rig in one hand and am not straining with an outstretched arm)...... it was because I was done splicing the rig. 5 hours one day and 6 hours today. So 11 hours all up.
Any one have any idea fun this is? This is the bees knees...:-)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PC090286.JPG
Views:	360
Size:	292.5 KB
ID:	6142   Click image for larger version

Name:	PC090289.JPG
Views:	325
Size:	248.1 KB
ID:	6143  

Jmolan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags