Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-05-2023, 10:30   #76

Boat: Catalina 320
Re: Talk me out of roller furling

Harken and Schaeffer are both made in the US, my rigger friend tells me Harken is currently his best seller. Your boat was built in Costa Mesa, but you want a furler from halfway around the world ?
Calif.Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2023, 12:49   #77

Boat: Westsail 32

It does sound ridiculous, and it is. I mean, I can buy a domestic Harken unit, that doesn't have the features I'm looking for, for about the same price as the shipping + unit cost of the furler that does have what I'm looking for (simple parts, a locking drum, a slide designed for hank on-sails, and a very good reputation).
Ryban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2023, 16:59   #78

Update on this:

After a lot of back and forth with ReefRite, and mostly feeble attempts to get shipping costs down, I now own a ReefRite furler and am excited to get it on the boat.

After many more sails on our boat since posting this thread, I'm pretty certain I've made the right decision here, at least for my needs and given we'll be short handed the majority of the time.

I'll post another update once it's on the boat.
Old 31-07-2023, 21:57   #79

After a bit of a battle with a stuck pin, an a few other head scratchers, we finally go our Reef-Rite furler installed and out on it's first sail.

Overall I think I'm pretty pleased with it and just need to make a few modifications to how I'm routing the furling line and locking-pawl cable.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20230726_154123589.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	417.0 KB
ID:	279043   Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20230730_024414095.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	416.5 KB
ID:	279044  

Old 01-08-2023, 02:01   #80

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

I ended up putting a small “bottle”, like from a shroud only tiny, in the pawl wire. That gave me some adjustment.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2023, 08:41   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
I ended up putting a small “bottle”, like from a shroud only tiny, in the pawl wire. That gave me some adjustment.
That's a smart idea. I have a couple points of adjustment on the hayfield lever too.
Old 18-08-2023, 08:12   #82

Hey Ryban,

How is that Reef-Rite working out? Have you sailed with it and how well did it do. I finally got the mast stepped and now can get an exact measurement for an order.

Does the locking pawl work well and does it stay unlocked while you unfurl? Do you have to unlock, then cleat its line, then uncleat for it to relock?

Thanks
scherzoja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2023, 06:34   #83

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by scherzoja View Post
Hey Ryban,

How is that Reef-Rite working out? Have you sailed with it and how well did it do. I finally got the mast stepped and now can get an exact measurement for an order.

Does the locking pawl work well and does it stay unlocked while you unfurl? Do you have to unlock, then cleat its line, then uncleat for it to relock?

Thanks

Not to short cut Ryban’s response but I am alsk a new ReefRite owner and also look forward ti Ryban’s experience.

The pawl locks in 180° increments, every half turn. It is simply a spring-loaded pin sliding into a slot. When the pin is withdrawn the drum is free to turn. The pin connects to some some very fine wire rope (1/8”?). It needs positive tension to compress the spring sufficiently. Nylon string will not work as it will stretch.

ReefRite provides stanchion attachments, one side is a roller for the furler line, the back side is a hole for the pawl wire. They also provide a little highfield over-center clamp or toggle to actuate the pawl.

I found I had to fool with the wire tension a bit to get it right. The highfield has some adjust ment but it was simpler to install a tiny turnbuckle in the wire run and which provided simpler adjustment.

It took a wee bit of fooling around but now the pawl seems work flawlessly.

In extremis I believe you can simply remove the pawl, it looks to just unscrew. Then the furler would spring in both directions like any other.

So maybe it is best to think of the pawl as an “optional feature ”.
Old 19-08-2023, 06:49   #84

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Reef Rite parts list.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf parts_list.pdf (36.2 KB, 19 views)

Tags
furling, roller furling