Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-06-2016, 21:51   #1

Boat: Southcoast 36
Temporary Forestay Removal

Hi all

I need to disconnect my Forestay from the stem for some changes to the stem connection arrangement.

(Basically the long link plates that raise the furling drum above deck have been connected directly to the stem plate so there is no freedom to move side to side. Rigger advice is to change this so that the furler link plates have fore/aft and side to side freedom.

Any advice on how I remove the Forestay so I can do this?

It is a masthead rig with an staysail inner Forestay fitted on a hayfield lever. Twin back stays are fitted and running back stays. Pro furl C420 Furler is fitted to Forestay.

I have a spare masthead halyard available, no spinnaker halyard.

My thoughts are to firstly mark position of all turnbuckles. Then connect and tension the inner Forestay and connect the spare halyard to the stem. Then ease off the back stays slightly and put some tension on the spare halyard until able to remove the pin from the Forestay/stem connection.

Will this be OK to leave for a day or so for repairs? Should I take the Genoa off the furler to do this?

Any advice appreciated.

Winf
Winf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2016, 22:02   #2
Captain - s.v. Lastly Liberty

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Catalina 25
Send a message via Skype™ to ThomasWeiss
Re: Temporary Forestay Removal

I'd definitely get the sail off of her before I did anything but I would think your plan should go fairly well assuming Murphy isn't with you the day you do that - Murphy seems to LOVE sailboats in my experience..
Old 26-06-2016, 00:41   #3

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Your plan is correct, and it should work fine. Leaving it for a few days (or weeks) is equally ok. Folks, including yours truly, have been doing this for a long time.

Jim
Old 26-06-2016, 02:36   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

There's probably no need for me to say this as you would likely have considered the weather already, but do keep track of what's expected. Your location is a factor. I assume you won't be stressing things by rocking about in a chop.

I've done this numerous times for refits or bow first into a smaller travel lift. Your plan seems sound.
Old 26-06-2016, 17:28   #5

Thanks for the comments folks.

We are in marina and plan to pick weather too.

Is the consensus to take the sail off?

Winf
Old 26-06-2016, 18:53   #6

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Hi, Win,

If you haven't laid out the sail to have a good look at it for a while, certainly you can take it off and take advantage of the situation to inspect it. The sail adds bulk and weight to the foil, and it could make it easier to take it off, particularly when it comes time to hook it all back up. It will also reduce windage if you take it off, but I suppose it could be left on.

Ann
Old 26-06-2016, 22:33   #7

Boat: S & S 43'

Hi,
Definitely remove the sail.
If you have a rigging screw on the forestay loosen that off too.

What is the plan for adding a toggle? If you have a rigging screw and it can be tightened the length of a toggle then it can all be done real quick.

Good luck
david samuelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2016, 15:54   #8

Remove sail it is then. Was what I thought, just not what I wanted to hear!

Haven't sourced the toggle yet. Might be able to do it with a different bottom shaft for the turnbuckle but may just have enough thread to cover the added length of a new toggle.

Thanks to all for assistance.

Winf
Old 27-06-2016, 20:56   #9

Dropping the jib out of the foil should not take more than a couple of minutes, so is a very good idea. Folding it will take a few minutes and will have it out of your way. If you cant take up the turnbuckle enough, what about having those long links shortened by the needed amount. Ask your rigger. It should be rather easy to do. Just my 2 cents worth. ____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2016, 23:40   #10

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Win,

Is there room at the top to raise the hoist of the sail? I'm just thinking that if the drum moves up 2 inches or so, will you have to cut down the sail a bit? If so, get the sailmaker going on that now, before you put the toggles in.

Ann
Old 28-06-2016, 03:58   #11

Boat: S & S 43'

Shortening the link plates does not shorten the stay - it lowers the drum.
Loweringb the drum does not shorten the foil length, just brings the foils down.
david samuelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2016, 07:53   #12

Shortening the link plates and putting a toggle of the same length as the removed section doesnt change any geometry at all. I thought this whole exercise was to allow side motion to the furler. It is not clear from the original post if this system has the headstay independent of the furler or an integral part. Independent is unlikely but a possibility. Do the links attach at a different point on the stem fitting than the headstay, or do the links take all of the load of the headstay? Either way, I would think shortening the links and adding a toggle would cost much less than recutting a sail. A photo would help, but asking the rigger that recommended the change would be a good idea. _____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2016, 15:53   #13

Hi all. The headstay is integral to the furler.

You can see from the pic how the link plates connect directly to the stem via the lower end of the toggle. Rigger pointed out that this doesn't allow any freedom of lateral movement in the furler. I had never paid any attention to the arrangement and it has most likely been this way since a PO had the furler put on in 2009! Maybe I've just been lucky as I can see what the rigger means.

[IMG][/IMG]

From what I can determine and the comments by the rigger I need to either:

- add an additional eye type toggle from the bottom of the existing toggle to the stem. This will lengthen the forestay by the length of that toggle and will need to be able to take up that length with the turnbuckle; or

- shorten and re-drill the furler link plates so they connect to the top of the toggle. This option will require a change of the lower shaft of the turnbuckle to an eye type end with a toggle to suit. This will also change the orientation of the link plates so they will face fore and aft rather than port and starboard but I don't think that will matter as is shown that way in the furler manual.

[IMG][/IMG]

I don't think in either case this will require and change sail length. Thanks for the input folks. Much appreciate having other heads thinking on this.

Winf
Old 06-09-2016, 05:41   #14

Just a quick follow up.

Job completed a few weeks ago. Worked well as planned and the new connection has been installed. Thanks for the help to all.

Winf

Tags
removal