Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-12-2020, 08:56   #1

Boat: Mumby 48
Tether Question

I'm setting up webbing for jacklines on my boat. I have 5 tethers with the Gibb clips at the end. But I'm thinking every time I move around that metal clip will be rubbing on the painted surface. What's the solution? Maybe I should double the tether link and clip both ends to my harness buckle.
Epicurean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 09:10   #2

Boat: Hullmaster 27
Re: Tether Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epicurean View Post
Maybe I should double the tether link and clip both ends to my harness buckle.
I wouldn't do that ... it will chafe like crazy where the webbing rubs against the tether.
Kelkara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 09:54   #3

Boat: Tayana 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epicurean View Post
I'm setting up webbing for jacklines on my boat. I have 5 tethers with the Gibb clips at the end. But I'm thinking every time I move around that metal clip will be rubbing on the painted surface. What's the solution? Maybe I should double the tether link and clip both ends to my harness buckle.
That is exactly what Jon Kretschmer recommends and does on his offshore training cruises. Jack lines down the center of the boat, and looped tethers. And It's pretty hard to find a guy with more real world experience and testing of "sailing safety" than him.

Chafe happens, and line on line friction is a huge safety concern in rock climbing, so believe me, I was very skeptical about doing this. But the forces needs to chafe through or melt these lines simply doesn't happen on a boat.

Might you wear out your safety lines sooner than the guy who clips in? Yes, but you won't fall overboard even if you get swept and lifted, sooo....that's better...
Old 10-12-2020, 10:49   #4
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Doubling a tether is safe enough. I often double my short tether. But there are downsides:
  • It will not slide as easily.
  • It will be more cumbersome to clip and unclip when changing jacklines.
  • The tether will be 1/2 length; some times good, sometimes bad.
Another option is one of the newer aluminum clips. They are much lighter and far less prone to chipping stuff. They are also easier to work with gloves and open wide enough to clip 1-inch railings. I have both types.

• Kong Tango
  • Wichard Proline
Do you have the old forged Gibbs or the stamped metal Spinlock knockoffs?

https://youtu.be/CbyhyC7ua8g

Old 10-12-2020, 16:36   #5

Boat: Mumby 48

I have the forged Gibb shackles. I like the Al shackles and maybe it's possible to lift them off the deck as you move. I'll probably try doubling the tether. I also have been thinking of the possibility of using a soft shackle, although at night that might be difficult.
Epicurean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 10:17   #6

The principle of clipping on to a jackline is far too often misunderstood. The purpose of the tether is NOT to keep you attached to the boat if you fall overboard; It is to keep you on the boat if you fall! If you end up in the water while attached to your tether, the chances are VERY high you will drown before the crew left onboard can stop the boat and recover you.

Your tether and jackline system need to be adjusted so if you fall, or are washed off your feet by a boarding wave, you end up on deck, NOT in the water. This is the reason that jacklines down the centerline of the boat are oftern recommended.

Concerns about "chafe" from a tether sliding up and down a jackline are silly. Doubling a long tether back you your vest is a good way of managing its length. We use double ended tethers, 3' and 6' legs. 3' while transiting the deck, and the 6' is usually used when working at the mast. It is wrapped around the mast so we can lean back against it. The hooks we use to clip to the jacklines are plastic coated, so we don't worry about deck abrasion.
BillKny is offline   Reply With Quote