Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-01-2012, 23:28   #1

Boat: 1980 Pearson 323 - 34ft LOA
The Best Knot For...

Ok, I have these three parts (sail car, line, PVC). The PVC is a rung on a rope ladder that I have constructed, and the slides/cars need to be tied to each rung so I can slide the ladder up the mast track.

My plan was to put the line through the PVC and do a figure 8 (one hole is needed even though I drilled two). But how do I tie the line to the mast car/slider? Any ideas? I want it to be as strong and as tight as possible since it steadies the ladder as I climb. (The plastic zip tie will be removed, it was for a temporary test)

Thank you
austin
theway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2012, 01:02   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Re: The Best Knot For...

I always use a bowline to tie a line to a ring. I believe it is the strongest knot in that configuration.

Alternatively, there is the round turn and two half hitches, but I think that would be bulky in that application.

Are you going to have one point of attachment for each rung? If I were you, I would consider two points of attachment near the ends of each rung, then allow enough line to the sail car to have a favorable angle of pull. I think that will be much stronger. I believe your weight might collapse that PVC piping if you attach it only from the middle, plus you won't be able to step on one end.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2012, 07:40   #3

Boat: 1980 Pearson 323 - 34ft LOA

Many thanks for the suggestions, those are the two knots that seemed most acceptable when I thought it over. I thought the bowline would create too much distance between the PVC and the car, and also use more line than I would like. I had similar thoughts as you about the round turn and two half hitches.

Yes i do plan to only attach the PVC in the middle, Im not sure of another way, as it will be run up the mast track. The PVC is very strong, and held fine when I tested it with the plastic zip ties, the only problem in the test was that some of the zip ties came out. Also, the 3 strand nylon is fairly elastic, so as I stepped up on one side it did sag that side (which seems to be a similar issue to what you are describing).
theway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2012, 08:03   #4

Boat: 29'

Lash it on.
NOT a piece of (slippery)rope.
I would use heavy "seine twine".It is 3 strand,tarred nylon twine used in nets.Use a midsize.Not the thickest,not the thinnest...just the one that stretches a tiny amount with a strong pull.

added:
Lash around the whole rung-not just thru those holes
but maybe start your first 3 turns thru them.
I wouldn't have put those holes in.Holes weaken.I'd have used maybe a screw head to keep lashings from any very slight shifting on the slippery rung,but a good lashing won't move much along it!
HappySeagull is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
knot