Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-09-2018, 09:48   #31
Marine Service Provider

Boat: PDQ 36, 36'5", previously Leopard 45 cat and Hunter 33 mono
Re: THE ULTIMATE CRANKER

I use my Milwaukee 28V hangle drill and "winch bit" on a Leopard 45 cat, where the loads are pretty high. Main is over 900 Sq feet, and heavy cloth, dinghy is 12 feet, mast is 72 feet high, etc. etc.

I started by experimenting with a selection of 18V drills, borrowed from friends. Each started to smell within seconds of beginning, so I backed off. I then bought the 28 volt drill, and it's a horse. I have had it for 8 to 10 years. It lifts the main or the dinghy with ease. It sends a heavy person up the mast, also with ease. Unless my boat was a lot smaller, I wouldn't mess with the 18V stuff, although for smaller loads, it might be fine. The Winch Bit just went into the chuck...no problem. Early on, I broke a chuck screw when I undertook some high load in reverse, which made the 2 speed winch go in its fast mode. Since then, I only go in forward, and I have never, ever had a probem since. I have had to replace the batteries, and also the brushes. It's an invaluable part of my gear.
contrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2021, 16:01   #32

Re: THE ULTIMATE CRANKER

Just ordered an Ultimate Cranker on line and it arrived safely in Australia.
I have had problems with the winch bit falling out of the chuck after running in both forward and reverse on my 2 speed winch so hope this will resolve that risk.
I love my 28v drill on the winch.
Unicorn183 is offline   Reply With Quote