Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-08-2018, 21:55   #1

Boat: DEHLER 39
THE ULTIMATE CRANKER

Beginning to wonder that the purchasing of an Ultimate Cranker was a mistake.

The Cranker arrived post haste and on removing the chuck off the Milwaulke 18V right angle drill I discovered that the thread hole on the Cranker was considerably smaller than the shaft on the drill.

On trying to get in touch with the supplier as per their email address on the website it turns out the email address is no longer active.

I also left msgs on their Ebay site and have failed to receive a reply/response.

A local engineering shop quoted me A$110 to rebore and rethread the Cranker.......a bit steep I thought.

So beware folks.
ALIAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2018, 08:47   #2

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
Re: THE ULTIMATE CRANKER

I sent a question a couple of weeks ago to the ebay address.
No response.

Mae West
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2018, 09:05   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I have always called them, number is on the webpage
https://thecranker.com
Sometimes there is no answer, call back in the afternoon. I sense it may be a Dad and Son kind of thing where they do this in their garage after coming home from their real job, maybe.
I don’t think they are a big company with a manufacturing facility, employees etc.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2018, 09:06   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Thinking just a second, the thread hole is smaller than the threaded portion of the angle adapter, not the drill motor, right?
Old 27-08-2018, 14:35   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I have always called them, number is on the webpage
https://thecranker.com
Sometimes there is no answer, call back in the afternoon. I sense it may be a Dad and Son kind of thing where they do this in their garage after coming home from their real job, maybe.
I don’t think they are a big company with a manufacturing facility, employees etc.
Tried the number a couple of times......always got the answering machine.....left msg to call me with no response.

And I am aware of the time difference between NJ America and Australia.
Old 27-08-2018, 14:46   #6

Quote:
Thinking just a second, the thread hole is smaller than the threaded portion of the angle adapter, not the drill motor, right?
Not sure what you are intimating, but the instructions for the 'Ultimate Cranker' states to remove the drill chuck and the Cranker should just screw straight onto the threaded shaft the chuck came off.

Not rocket science.

And as I stated the Cranker they sent me has a smaller threaded hole than the shaft on the drill.........so it wont/cant screw on as required.

Thanks for your thoughts.
Old 27-08-2018, 15:23   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

THE ULTIMATE CRANKER

What I am asking is, is the 90 degree angle adapter on the drill?
The Ultimate cranker is meant to attach to the angle adapter, which is also a gear reduction as well as a 90 degree angle.
However as I think about it, I believe that I have had the chuck on mine connected to the drill itself, and of course used it as a drill.
So if so, then the threads must be the same.
However mine is a Milwaukee M28 drill, a 28 V drill, yours is an 18 V drill?
I did a quick look, the Ultimate Cranker only fits drills that have a 1/2 x 20 chuck, is yours a 1/2 x 20 ?
Old 27-08-2018, 21:01   #8

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

What about reversing the direction of the drill for a two speed winch?
Is there a means of locking the screw on Cranker to the threaded shaft from the drill?

Mae West
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2018, 02:58   #9

Quote:
What I am asking is, is the 90 degree angle adapter on the drill?
The Ultimate cranker is meant to attach to the angle adapter, which is also a gear reduction as well as a 90 degree angle.
However as I think about it, I believe that I have had the chuck on mine connected to the drill itself, and of course used it as a drill.
So if so, then the threads must be the same.
However mine is a Milwaukee M28 drill, a 28 V drill, yours is an 18 V drill?
I did a quick look, the Ultimate Cranker only fits drills that have a 1/2 x 20 chuck, is yours a 1/2 x 20 ?
Ok.....did some further checking today and even spoke to the Milwaukee Australian head office and now know the following:

1. Australian Milwaukee products can be different/have different specs to those on the 'foreign/American market'.

2. The M28 drill is not on the Australian market and they had no specs to do a comparative.

3. The 18V drill sold in Australia has a 5/8" chuck shaft and they could not throw any light on why the M28 sold in America had a 1/2" shaft.

4. I checked with the Guy at my local yacht club who advised me the 18V drill was suitable, but discovered he was using the 'standard Cranker' which went into the chuck and not on the chuck shaft.

5.Accordingly my assumption that the 18V drill would have the same size shaft, proved to be a mistake.

6. Today I was given the contact for another machine shop which is willing to bore and rethread the Ultimate Cranker for the more reasonable (IMHO) cost of A$40.

7. Have still not had a reply from the Cranker people.

8. The moral of the story IMHO is that if in a foreign country from the source of the item one is purchasing...........Do thorough homework.

Hoping the thread cleared up some issues/grey areas for others as it did for me.
Old 28-08-2018, 03:07   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico View Post
What about reversing the direction of the drill for a two speed winch?
Is there a means of locking the screw on Cranker to the threaded shaft from the drill?
It has a grub screw on the side which requires drilling a hole into the shaft to provide a proper seat so that it wont come off if reverse is being used.
Old 28-08-2018, 03:37   #11

Boat: plastic production boat, suitable for deep blue water ;)

Hi Alias, I had to same problems with communication with the Ultimate Cranker supplier: no reply via phone, email via webpage actually bounced over the last 3 weeks, message via Ebay: no reply.
Very hesitant therefore to buy via their webpage or Ebay.

Anyway, can anyone provide some thoughts how or where to buy the ultimate cranker? I am in the market for two 28 volt drills and two ultimate crankers (one for me and one for a friend). Chargers preferably to be 230 Volt or thereabouts but I will accept 110 Volt.

As Alias, I am In Oz, but I am looking only at the M28 Volt version, that is not imported in Oz anymore. The torque of that 28 Volt drill (model 021) is more than twice as much as that of the 18 Volt fuel version. 122 versus 42 NM (newton meter) or for you Americans 1081 and ~380 in/lbs

BTW, the 2 speed winches I have on my boat are all Lewmar and all but one has the slow gears turning clockwise, one is anti clockwise, very strange.
Old 28-08-2018, 05:17   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by HankOnthewater View Post
Hi Alias, I had to same problems with communication with the Ultimate Cranker supplier: no reply via phone, email via webpage actually bounced over the last 3 weeks, message via Ebay: no reply.
Very hesitant therefore to buy via their webpage or Ebay.

Anyway, can anyone provide some thoughts how or where to buy the ultimate cranker? I am in the market for two 28 volt drills and two ultimate crankers (one for me and one for a friend). Chargers preferably to be 230 Volt or thereabouts but I will accept 110 Volt.

As Alias, I am In Oz, but I am looking only at the M28 Volt version, that is not imported in Oz anymore. The torque of that 28 Volt drill (model 021) is more than twice as much as that of the 18 Volt fuel version. 122 versus 42 NM (newton meter) or for you Americans 1081 and ~380 in/lbs

BTW, the 2 speed winches I have on my boat are all Lewmar and all but one has the slow gears turning clockwise, one is anti clockwise, very strange.
https://www.ebay.com.au/p/Milwaukee-...6229820&chn=ps
Old 28-08-2018, 09:26   #13

My experience with "The Ultimate Cranker" is... don't waste your time or money!!!

About a year or two ago, I too was looking for such a device. Wanted to use Milwaukee's 18v Hole Hawg as the driver. Found the Ultimate Cranker chuck replacement and thought it was heaven sent.

NOT!!!!!!

First off, as has been mentioned here, Milwaukee uses two different arbor sizes and thread pitch. I attempted to contact the Ultimate Cranker company via both E-Mail and Ma Bell, to see which size they use. No response. So I decided to roll the dice, and order one on line..

Several weeks passed and no "cranker" Checked CC bill, It was charged.
Attempted to contact many more times. No Avail.
Contacted CC company to have money refunded. Again, several months later, dispute was settled with CC Company and charges removed.

In the end, I had one of our shop's machinists make me one out of Al..

ALIAS,
If you have a shop that will do the rethreading for $40, Do it.
Also, if it doesn't have one, have the shop drill the center for the lock screw. And Loc-Tite everything together.
Mine has not come apart yet.
missourisailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2018, 15:41   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by missourisailor View Post
My experience with "The Ultimate Cranker" is... don't waste your time or money!!!

About a year or two ago, I too was looking for such a device. Wanted to use Milwaukee's 18v Hole Hawg as the driver. Found the Ultimate Cranker chuck replacement and thought it was heaven sent.

NOT!!!!!!

First off, as has been mentioned here, Milwaukee uses two different arbor sizes and thread pitch. I attempted to contact the Ultimate Cranker company via both E-Mail and Ma Bell, to see which size they use. No response. So I decided to roll the dice, and order one on line..

Several weeks passed and no "cranker" Checked CC bill, It was charged.
Attempted to contact many more times. No Avail.
Contacted CC company to have money refunded. Again, several months later, dispute was settled with CC Company and charges removed.

In the end, I had one of our shop's machinists make me one out of Al..

ALIAS,
If you have a shop that will do the rethreading for $40, Do it.
Also, if it doesn't have one, have the shop drill the center for the lock screw. And Loc-Tite everything together.
Mine has not come apart yet.
Thanks for the input missourisailor........

The Ultimate Cranker I have allows for the reuse of the Milwaulkee center lock screw plus the unit has also a grub screw on its side which requires a small hole drilled in the drill shaft which the CC recommend if using reverse on the drill.

Which model drill are you using ..........the 28V or the 18V ?

I have the 18V and now after reading HankOnWater's above post about the torque differences between the 28V and the 18V I now have concerns about the 18V being able to do the job.

Wondering if anybody on the Forum is using the 18V drill and can provide feedback as to its suitability before I bother spending the A$40.
Old 28-08-2018, 16:03   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALIAS View Post
Thanks for the input missourisailor........

The Ultimate Cranker I have allows for the reuse of the Milwaulkee center lock screw plus the unit has also a grub screw on its side which requires a small hole drilled in the drill shaft which the CC recommend if using reverse on the drill.

Which model drill are you using ..........the 28V or the 18V ?

I have the 18V and now after reading HankOnWater's above post about the torque differences between the 28V and the 18V I now have concerns about the 18V being able to do the job.

Wondering if anybody on the Forum is using the 18V drill and can provide feedback as to its suitability before I bother spending the A$40.

I have this one:

https://www.milwaukeetool.com/Produc...Drills/2709-20

I did not have the set screw hole put in the one I had made. Only the center lock screw. But as I said, I did Loc-Tite both sets of threads.

So far, nothing has come loose.

FWIW, to loosen Loc-Tite, just heat it. Might take some heat depending on how much was used.

As far as use, it was bought to furl the gennie. Which is/was a royal PITA with out a winch. The drill makes it a piece of cake.
But I now find myself using it for other winch work. But never used it to climb the mast.

Duration of charge. I've gone through several days on one battery.

But full disclosure, beings all the other tools on the boat are Dewalt 20v tools, I used one of Dewalt's 20v to 18v adaptors and an old Milwalkee 18v Fuel Battery to make an adapter to use the Dewalt 20v battery on the Milwalkee drill. And I'm using a 5Ah Dewalt battery.

So my mileage may be different than yours.
missourisailor is offline   Reply With Quote