Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-06-2023, 06:11   #76
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Re: This is *crazy* !

Quote:
Originally Posted by odonnellryan View Post
Email him: I'm sure he'll put out a correction.
There’s dozens if not hundreds who repeat the wrong info. They would probably just argue over it; life’s too short for that

Edit: but now on this forum everyone knows that Amsteel Blue is SK78, not SK75. Regular Amsteel is probably SK60 but I couldn’t find an authoritative source for that.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2023, 06:17   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
There’s dozens if not hundreds who repeat the wrong info. They would probably just argue over it; life’s too short for that

Edit: but now on this forum everyone knows that Amsteel Blue is SK78, not SK75. Regular Amsteel is probably SK60 but I couldn’t find an authoritative source for that.
Be careful about projecting your own behavior onto others!
nelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2023, 06:38   #78

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Be careful about projecting your own behavior onto others!
No, when someone points out that I am wrong about something (and has more than an opinion to back it up), I am always quick to correct my mistake. I know a lot about some things but I realize there’s a universe of things I know nothing about.

If you are ever in doubt, just ask me for citations and I will either simply post authoritative source or I will explain why I don’t bother (normally I post an “iirc” or “imo” in those cases

In this case, I had my supporting data prepared but nobody asked… I don’t even think you asked but I’ll post it anyway so that I didn’t prep it for nothing
From the manufacturer themselves:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4060.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	451.5 KB
ID:	276788  

Old 16-06-2023, 06:44   #79

Quote:
No, when someone points out that I am wrong about something (and has more than an opinion to back it up), I am always quick to correct my mistake. I know a lot about some things but I realize there’s a universe of things I know nothing about.

If you are ever in doubt, just ask me for citations and I will either simply post authoritative source or I will explain why I don’t bother (normally I post an “iirc” or “imo” in those cases

In this case, I had my supporting data prepared but nobody asked… I don’t even think you asked but I’ll post it anyway so that I didn’t prep it for nothing
Looking online a bit more, it seems like Samson used to make Amsteel Blue out of SK75 - or at least there was some serious misunderstanding from many online retailers at some point.

What's the link to that doc? I'd like to see if there are any archived versions of that link or similar versions.

Can't really blame anyone if the retailer you buy it from says it's SK75, and at the same time it isn't exactly easy to find a source from Samson saying either way (at least I wasn't able to).
Old 16-06-2023, 06:52   #80

Quote:

You'll find this interesting! A Samson PDF saying Amsteel Blue is SK75... https://www.samsonrope.com/docs/defa...ring_lines.pdf

The plot thickens!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	amsteelsk75.JPG
Views:	27
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	276789  
Old 16-06-2023, 07:12   #81

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
You'll find this interesting! A Samson PDF saying Amsteel Blue is SK75... https://www.samsonrope.com/docs/defa...ring_lines.pdf

The plot thickens!!
That is a year 2010 document. I am not sure which year they changed but it’s been a while…. at least 6 years, probably more.

I mean they used to make domestic sewer pipes from cast iron and clay but when we talk about this today we talk about pvc. When you present yourself as an expert or make videos reviewing or testing a product, then you simply must know this. When it’s been less than a year since the change, I find some merit in a “they used to make it from” excuse, but not in this case where I find 6 year old documents stating SK78.

Here is the search results link for keywords Amsteel AND SK78. When I do this for SK75 nothing comes up…

https://samsonrope.com/search-result...sMode=AllWords

Im not even sure which document I used.

Old 16-06-2023, 07:15   #82

There’s more to this than your numbers.

First off is shock loads. They will be an order of magnitude more than the static loads you’re calculating.

Second is handling. Heaving in on a 10mm rope is going to be much less pleasant than hauling in a 14mm line.

It’s not just all about tensile strength.
Leighpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2023, 07:18   #83

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leighpilot View Post
There’s more to this than your numbers.

First off is shock loads. They will be an order of magnitude more than the static loads you’re calculating.

Second is handling. Heaving in on a 10mm rope is going to be much less pleasant than hauling in a 14mm line.

It’s not just all about tensile strength.
Shock loads are in the numbers posted above…. if you have a monohull.

Same for handling, you will find me mentioning that many times in above posts, incl. line selection for handling instead of strength.

I guess you missed that…

Old 16-06-2023, 07:20   #84

Quote:
That is a year 2010 document. I am not sure which year they changed but it’s been a while…. at least 6 years, probably more.

I mean they used to make domestic sewer pipes from cast iron and clay but when we talk about this today we talk about pvc. When you present yourself as an expert or make videos reviewing or testing a product, then you simply must know this. When it’s been less than a year since the change, I find some merit in a “they used to make it from” excuse, but not in this case where I find 6 year old documents stating SK78.

Here is the search results link for keywords Amsteel AND SK78. When I do this for SK75 nothing comes up…

https://samsonrope.com/search-result...sMode=AllWords

Im not even sure which document I used.
You're digressing - my point is there seems to be more to the picture here. I don't know where Ryan bought the line, but the polite thing to do is to not assume you know everything, either, especially when making claims on a person's character.

> When you present yourself as an expert

Ryan doesn't do this - it would be appreciated if you didn't attack people and besmirch their reputations without knowing all the facts. It's just rude and makes you look bad. He always says he is not an expert, it is not expert advice, etc.. in almost if not every one of his videos.

I have no connection to the guy but appreciate what he does and feel he adds value to these discussions.

Here are some retailers selling AmSteel SK75:

https://www.amsteelblue.com/amsteel-...oot-7-700-lbs/

https://www.wesspur.com/rope/amsteel-blue.html

https://cajuntiedowns.com/shop/winch...e-winch-cable/

https://www.murphyindustrialproducts...teel-blue.html

Took just a few minutes of searching, all first page results.

Please don't reply with "these are small retailers" or something else irrelevant, that isn't the point I'm trying to make here. I know defender advertises it as SK78.

In any case, I emailed Samson and asked them why there is a mix up. Soon we should have an answer!
Old 16-06-2023, 07:31   #85

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
You're digressing - my point is there seems to be more to the picture here. I don't know where Ryan bought the line, but the polite thing to do is to not assume you know everything, either, especially when making claims on a person's character.

> When you present yourself as an expert

Ryan doesn't do this - it would be appreciated if you didn't attack people and besmirch their reputations without knowing all the facts. It's just rude and makes you look bad. He always says he is not an expert, it is not expert advice, etc.. in almost if not every one of his videos.

I have no connection to the guy but appreciate what he does and feel he adds value to these discussions.

Here are some retailers selling AmSteel SK75:

https://www.amsteelblue.com/amsteel-...oot-7-700-lbs/

https://www.wesspur.com/rope/amsteel-blue.html

https://cajuntiedowns.com/shop/winch...e-winch-cable/

https://www.murphyindustrialproducts...teel-blue.html

Took just a few minutes of searching, all first page results.

Please don't reply with "these are small retailers" or something else irrelevant, that isn't the point I'm trying to make here. I know defender advertises it as SK78.

In any case, I emailed Samson and asked them why there is a mix up. Soon we should have an answer!
When you quote me, please quote the whole sentence; do not take a small part of it, pulling it out of context and then put words in my mouth. I know this is all the sports these days, but I don’t play the game.

What I actually wrote was:

Quote:
When you present yourself as an expert or make videos reviewing or testing a product, then you simply must know this.
So I never said he claimed to be an expert like you accuse me of. You need to take all that back, I never attacked or insulted anyone, those are all words you wrote, not me.

I simply observe that Samson, the manufacturer, states that it is SK78. That is authoritative, period. Even if you find a thousand people saying that they think it is SK75. I don’t think you understand that this isn’t a matter of opinion.

Anyway, after your accusations I’m done with you.

Old 16-06-2023, 07:34   #86

Quote:
When you quote me, please quote the whole sentence; do not take a small part of it, pulling it out of context and then put words in my mouth. I know this is all the sports these days, but I don’t play the game.

What I actually wrote was:

So I never said he claimed to be an expert like you accuse me of. You need to take all that back, I never attacked or insulted anyone, those are all words you wrote, not me.

I simply observe that Samson, the manufacturer, states that it is SK78. That is authoritative, period. Even if you find a thousand people saying that they think it is SK75. I don’t think you understand that this isn’t a matter of opinion.

Anyway, after your accusations I’m done with you.
I did quote your entire post, for what it is worth. I am not aware of the proper way to reply inline on this forum. Apologies.

You did attack Ryan a few times in this thread - at least his reputation. It was mean, and unwarranted, and no I will not retract that statement.
Old 16-06-2023, 08:37   #87

Boat: Hylas 46

Quote:
It's also very important in systems with mechanical advantage, as stretch reduces the performance of those systems!

Lee Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2023, 08:40   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Jerry View Post

You don't think line stretch impacts the performance of blocks and tackle?
Old 16-06-2023, 08:42   #89

Boat: Hylas 46

Quote:
You did attack Ryan a few times in this thread - at least his reputation.
Are you the Ryan from the test video? I mean, if his name is Ryan, and "ryan" is part of your username, so...

Quote:
It was mean, and unwarranted...
It's possible that the internet might not be the best place for you.
Lee Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2023, 08:44   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Jerry View Post
Are you the Ryan from the test video? I mean, if his name is Ryan, and "ryan" is part of your username, so...

It's possible that the internet might not be the best place for you.
No, of course not. There are a lot of Ryans in the USA. I've never met the guy.