Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-06-2023, 11:36   #106

Re: This is *crazy* !

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Arguing for the sake of arguing, maneuvering around authoritative data, counting opinions that oppose facts, all of that is allowed on CF, but it muddies threads like these, where the OP puts a considerable effort in, and all that just for the entertainment of the individual wanting to just hang out and mess it up.

The underlying issue is that such persons are unable or unwilling to grasp the essence of the subject discussed and therefor resort to arguing against facts so that their minds are cleared of the feeling that maybe they would find that something needs to be improved on their boat, which probably cost money to do so. Everything is fine the way it is, nothing needs to be checked
None of that is true, and wasn't what I am intending to do. If you would prefer, PM me and I will delete my posts.

Just very rude statements from you and honestly I have lost a lot of respect for you.

I just do not understand how someone can be so rude to strangers.
nelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2023, 11:47   #107

Boat: Donelle 35 Cruiser

Do people know there is an ignore feature on this and other forums?

Lol why get bent around the prop? Ignore and move on...
Love2 boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2023, 12:02   #108

Boat: Beneteau 423

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
The data presented in the calculations takes the heeling, which limits forces, into account. The forces calculated are the actual forces on the boat, but of course I only calculated the maximum force at the specified windspeed, while the wind is a dynamic phenomena.

This also means that these calculations are not valid for catamarans that don’t heel, but even for those, some owners report the numbers are representative for their catamarans as well.

Of course the dynamic peak loading is where it happens and this is why a factor of safety of 5:1 is used for cruising sailboats, while racers go with much tighter margins in order to save weight.
I may have missed it, but how do the calculations you gave account for heel angle and other real world changes like rounding up and even feathering the sheets.
ColIn Ferguson is offline   Reply With Quote