Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-04-2011, 04:53   #16

Boat: Albin 40 double cabin Trawler
Re: To replace rigging or not (yet)... that is the question...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
This is entirely contrary to what I've been taught. One broken strand should be taken as a sign that it's time to replace not only the individual stay or shroud, but all the standing rigging. Indeed, I would go as far as to say that once the point has come where a strand breaks, you've waited too long.
Don't know who taught you....but after years of working in the marine trades of marine construction and salvage (where wire is used from everything including cranes to towing bridles)...I have a different perspective than the years I spent sailing in the perfect little world of West Marine advisor sailing.

Right from an OSHA manual about safety practices and broken strands...

Figure 87 — Wire Rope Inspection

Up to six allowed in one rope
lay, OR three in one strand in one
rope lay, with no more than one at an attached fitting. Otherwise,
destroy and replace rope.

And if you read my post...I said not huge, UNLESS heading offshore....
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2011, 05:58   #17

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Re: To Replace Rigging or Not (Yet)

I think given the intended voyage replacing is justified. The North Sea is shallow and whilst quite small quickly develops nasty sea conditions with short steep waves driven by low pressure systems. Not a place for a yacht when it blows.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2011, 07:00   #18

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Don't know who taught you....but after years of working in the marine trades of marine construction and salvage (where wire is used from everything including cranes to towing bridles)...I have a different perspective than the years I spent sailing in the perfect little world of West Marine advisor sailing.

Right from an OSHA manual about safety practices and broken strands...

Figure 87 — Wire Rope Inspection

Up to six allowed in one rope
lay, OR three in one strand in one
rope lay, with no more than one at an attached fitting. Otherwise,
destroy and replace rope.

And if you read my post...I said not huge, UNLESS heading offshore....
I don't have access to the OSHA manual to check this out, but I bet that they are referring to multi strand flexible wire rope, not 1x19. The idea that up to six strands out of 19 failing is OK doesn't make sense.

Now, back to the OP... I don't know how boats are used in the far north, but quite possibly they are removed from the water each winter, so ageing of the rigging due to cyclic loading is markedly reduced. Further, cold northern water is reputed to corrode the rigging less than warm tropical water. So, I suspect that his rig might well be good to go after all.

None the less, new wire is a lot cheaper than a new mast, and a conservative sailor will consider this carefully.

Cheers,
Old 27-04-2011, 07:12   #19

Boat: Albin 40 double cabin Trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
I don't have access to the OSHA manual to check this out, but I bet that they are referring to multi strand flexible wire rope, not 1x19. The idea that up to six strands out of 19 failing is OK doesn't make sense.

Now, back to the OP... I don't know how boats are used in the far north, but quite possibly they are removed from the water each winter, so ageing of the rigging due to cyclic loading is markedly reduced. Further, cold northern water is reputed to corrode the rigging less than warm tropical water. So, I suspect that his rig might well be good to go after all.

None the less, new wire is a lot cheaper than a new mast, and a conservative sailor will consider this carefully.

Cheers,
I agree...offshore or extended cruising should start at 100 percent designed (of more if you have the means), not a lesser safety factor.

All I was pointing out was that safe working loads versus full strength are 2 different things and that a broken wire or 2 is not good but not the end of the world. I've had standing rigging fail and upon further inspection found more broken strands. I'll bet a huge number of boats out there have broken strands for years and the owners never know it. The rigging just doesn't fail the moment a strand breaks.

All that being said...yes... replace....expecially if the rigging is down and you are starting off on blue water runs.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2011, 19:58   #20

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable
Re: To Replace Rigging or Not ( Yet )

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris smith View Post
Edited for technical accuracy ....I have 450 square feet of canvas in my main and genoa.When the wind is up to 25knts and more and i still have all my canvas up...the thought of my 8 year old forestay's integrity does cross my mind.At 55 knts , its all over
The point I was making was that, if you go offshore regularly enough, there will come a time when, unexpectedly, you have way too much canvas up for the conditions that have suddently materialised. We all like to think that we are good at downsizing sails / reefing, etc. but sooner or later (probably at night, when we are tired and its real dark), we will be hit by a squallt that we didn't see coming.

For me it was 65+ knots with around 550 square feet of sail up (i.e. waaaaay too much) and we managed to keep the mast in the boat, and get the sails down without destroying them (we did "wash" the masthead gear though)... but we were lucky, I guess.

As many have alluded to... its all about the "sleep at night" factor...
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2011, 22:10   #21

Boat: 57ft Steel Expedition Vessel

My mast is coming off in 32hrs so I can keep it sticking upright for the next few years without stressing!

Interesting how I just happened to find this thread the day before.
Dame.n.Jess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2011, 20:59   #22

Just to followup and say that I've decided to go ahead and replace all the rigging. Budget will be rather tight for a bit, but I'm sure I'll sleep better...

Thanks to everyone for their valuable input.
rhumbunctious is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rigging