Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-09-2017, 08:27   #16

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter
Re: To sleeve or not to sleeve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Not pulling the mast sounds like a real bodge, sorry but I just have to say it.

If you were in the middle of French Polynesia then I would be sympathetic but Aus?

By pulling the mast you get to treat the base properly and fix the mast properly, once and for all, not have to go back and do it again in a couple of years.

I have moved the thread to a more suitable forum, hope that isn't too confusing.

Pete
Seriously, this can sometimes be done with a handy-billy and a bridge over a quiet, non-tidal stream. A dinghy crane is enough for a mast (well, most of 'em) and you may even be able to leave some stays on at just short of full extension on the turnbuckles. Were it me, however, I'd remove it, lay it on four sawhorses and do a careful job on shore.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 08:58   #17

Irrespective of how you deal with your repair bear in mind, in the event of a mast failure, the repair will be questioned.
If the repair is blamed then you will have a problem if the mast failure causes damage to a third party, particularly if its to a person.
Theoldvicarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 22:43   #18

Not for the perfectionist but if I was up against, it with no facilities I would try guying the bottom of the mast so it could not move forward, aft, port or starboard.
Clamp and/or hang the mast 500mm from the bottom to the middle of a substantial timber min 250 X 50mm and long enough to get to both side decks and jack with big timber pads under the jacks (only one jack is necessary, a block under the other end will suffice)on the side decks using the adjustment in the rigging screws to give the play to fractionally lift the mast. Grind off the ring of rot and as before said use the adjustment in the turnbuckles/ rigging screws to tighten down the mast. Have to watch for those in mast cables!.
Barkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 07:22   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit door View Post
Thanks sounds like the correct thing to do.

Unfortunately to lift the mast is going to cost me a load of dosh so I must admit I am after the cheaper options.

Bear in mind that the yacht was caught and beached in a cyclone thus thee pressure splits

Can I get away with rivets or sleeving or would you still recommend mast lifting

Thanks
Don't be foolish. Pull the mast and cut it shorter. This is the cheap option.
SeaSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 08:56   #20

Deck stepped masts are easy to get up and down. All you need are two friends with sailboats of about the same size, either in a marina or tied up side by side on the quay.

Pm me and I can give you details on how it’s done. Don’t need any special tackle usually and can have the mast down and on the sawhorses in a couple of hours. Done it a few times and never had a mishap.
um saudade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 09:19   #21

I assume it's aluminum? or is it composite? Remove it and properly weld it up. At the mast base it's all in compression anyway, no real flexing to deal with.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2017, 13:02   #22

Boat: VIA 42, aluminium cutter

In your first post you say want the safest and most structurally sound way to repair the mast then, after being offered what appears to be good advice, you complain about $$$ - you can't have it both ways. Do it right, or don't do it at all. I suggest you get a good rigger and follow his on site professional advice - on this forum we offer suggestions - good photos help but never tell the whole story, do they?

I would also add that those stainless slotted screws, with the incorrect head, installed by some P.O, certainly caused or contributed to the cracks.
blueazimuth is offline   Reply With Quote