Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-03-2020, 19:30   #1

Toggle forestay top?

Im about to start re-rig my forestay and a new furler. Ordered all items I thought I needed a while ago...and along all my other projects its easy to forget some details I was reading about months ago....

So today I just wanted to check so all was in order. Took the items out but discovered I might had bought the wrong toggle for the top of the forestay...Or?

My mast is fractional. Forestay is attached by thru bolted tangs that bends around and meet at the front of the mast. So these are pivoting forth and back.

If I put the stalok eye between the two tang connected with a clevis pin...shoudlnt that count as being able to rotate forth-and-bnack and, side-to-side?

Or....should there just be a toggle attached to my tangs anyhow? In that case I would need a fork-fork....no the Fork/eye I bought before?
andreas.mehlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 19:42   #2

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: Toggle forestay top?

I would strongly advise the use of a toggle, well greased. Wire failure at the exit of the upper terminal is a very common failure and the situation is made far worse by not having a good, free to operate toggle.

I think all riggers agree with this sentiment.

Jim
Old 05-03-2020, 22:27   #3

Boat: Island Packet 40

From the way you have described the extant arrangement the tangs will pivot up and down on the pin through the mast and if you install the Stalok on the other end of the tangs with a pin it also will only pivot up and down. No sideways pivoting at all?
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 05:11   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post
From the way you have described the extant arrangement the tangs will pivot up and down on the pin through the mast and if you install the Stalok on the other end of the tangs with a pin it also will only pivot up and down. No sideways pivoting at all?
With the sta lok fitting installed between the two tangs. It would be mounted so it's pivoting side to side..
Old 06-03-2020, 10:23   #5

Boat: Island Packet 40

Bafflement ensues.

So you are going to put a 90 degree twist in the tangs so that the Staylok will pivot sideways?
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 18:12   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post
Bafflement ensues.

So you are going to put a 90 degree twist in the tangs so that the Staylok will pivot sideways?

The tangs has a twist since before....just looked on some old pics and seems like it was a regular Eye/fork toggle. But...I still think a fork/fork would be better....so I guess I´ll go with that and save the other toggle for something else