Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-07-2018, 04:19   #31

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40
Re: Toggle misalignment. Opionions please!

Wow, that is scary! I can't imagine what could have caused this level of distortion? Have those shrouds been overloaded for some reason, prehaps a loose backstay?

Or maybe there is some dodgy stainless parts doing the rounds?

At any rate good job spotting it and getting it sorted. Might be worth inspecting the tangs/stemballs/t balls up the mast as well just in case and the forestay toggles.
Old 20-07-2018, 05:06   #32

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23

Thats scary!

But You have not mentioned the other side.... This looks to be on the port, is the starboard same? ...and how did the surveyor missed this?
SVTatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2018, 11:14   #33

Boat: Passage 24/30 Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ausluke View Post
She was definatly on its way out. The rigger said it was a lucky find.
Drilled a hole pushed the pin out with a punch. Prity effortless.
As he didnot have a new turn buckle to suit my shrouds swage fitting he just replaced the pin in the eyelet aswel as new toggle. As this swelling stretched the toggles on one side.

Im now trying to order 2 new toggles with the correct threaded eylets ( metric ) as the shroud on the otherside is heading the same way.

Learn from this if you thought it was nothing. ( i understand the pictures will not have shown the best angle/warrant for concern.. )
I see you did as suggested by removing the lower stud & offending toggle. So much easier when you can look at it from all angles in the comfort of your cabin or shop.
That surely is some serious kink in the pin! Makes one wonder how it came about? Severe overload? Possibly caused by prolonged period of excessive tension maybe? . . . but who knows . . . gives cause to consider close inspection of ALL other rigging points . . . both up spar, as well as deck level.
Like many others on this forum, I'm one of those people who, when faced with this kind of problem am inclined to consider "I've had my money's worth" out of these pins & should change all of them, just to be safe. Expensive action maybe, but it's cheaper than losing the rig; . . . It's called preventive maintenance.
As for cost savings, I myself would buy a length of 316 ss rod of appropriate dimension & cut my own pins. But if you have no way to do this, I guess you'll have to pay the big buck & buy "ready-made". Congrats on finding this hidden 'disaster in the making' hope you resolve your problems to your satisfaction.
Sailorbob8599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2018, 11:54   #34

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

Well ok so one good thing about living where the mast comes down every year is that I do touch those pins twice a season :-)
Old 20-07-2018, 14:58   #35

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Well, with those pix one can see that the pin was surely distorted. Dunno if it was due to corrosion or not, looks almot as if it was in the process of shearing. Wow!

Glad you caught that in time.

Jim

Tags
lease, men