Cruisers Forum

View Poll Results: What are the leading causes of sail damage?
Poor sail trim 12 22.64%
Excessive luffing 14 26.42%
Old age 15 28.30%
Chafe 24 45.28%
Poor Construction 3 5.66%
Other 16 30.19%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-10-2016, 15:15   #16
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
Re: Top Reasons for Sail Damage

Backwinding the genoa against diamond stays while tacking in a breeze. A good way to severely stretch the leach. I learned this one after a few sheet hang-ups on a new to me boat. Can also happen when the autopilot gets surprised by a fast shift and the boat tacks. In general, the habit of heaving to with an overlapping headsail is damaging; roll some of it up.

That's the only damage I've ever had. The rest died very slowly of old age with no particular tears or set faults. I'm careful because I hate paying for new sails!

Curiously I often don't cover the main while cruising; it will be dark in a few hours, I'll leave near dawn, and a full batten main in lazy jacks lies very quietly at anchor.
Old 29-10-2016, 16:33   #17

Location: Currently wintering in Kettering south of Hobart in Tasmania so already established for the Wooden Boat Festival in 2019
Boat: Joe Adams Naut 40

UV damage to both material and stitching is a a major concern here in Australia. Letting sails flog causing stretching and chafe is another no no and as already stated stowing of sails is very important for protection. We have seen many a mouldy sail from stowing damp sails and it can be so easily avoided with correct stowage.

Of course sail materials are improving with technology but basic sailing procedures if carried out correctly will always help lengthen the life of your sails.

Cheers Sue
sapient sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2016, 16:37   #18

Boat: 2010 Andrews 28

I recently had a 135 genoa shred in a squall. When I took it to my sailmaker he noticed that the original UV cover on the leech and foot had been replaced. He said that the new UV cover provided only 1/3 the needed protection and had been installed incorrectly. When he learned that the same vendor (a national sail cleaner) who had put the new UV cover on had also used his special process to clean the sail he was really upset. He opined that the cleaning process along with the insufficient UV cover had compromised the sail and that was why it shred in the squall. He said that the cleaner should have known that their cleaning process should never be used on laminate sails. I have since talked with other sailmakers and they all say "Stay away from the commercial sail cleaners."
silversailor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2016, 17:36   #19

Boat: Catalina 387

Did anybody mention UV damage?

Top 3 reasons sails deteriorate:

UV, UV, UV.

Or maybe flogging.

Or maybe allowing the headsail to unroll in the marina when nobody is there and then just get destroyed.
jeepbluetj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2016, 18:20   #20

UV damage.

As the cloth degrades it becomes less tolerant to flogging, spreader poke, squalls , rough handling etc.
Seaslug Caravan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2016, 17:59   #21
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 51' Beneteau

I lost a Mylar genoa roller furled without sun shade one season in the sun. Also excessive wear due to flogging and rubbing sail on spreaders. I have done them all in my 40+ years of sailing
Crown Royal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2016, 19:17   #22

It's simple if you use a sail, it is getting damaged. Keep it in the sail bag inside the boat or shed and it will last forever.

Bavaria 50 Cruiser
SimonV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 03:55   #23

Boat: Freydis 49

Washing a laminate sail with Bleach!
Old 11-11-2016, 07:41   #24

I just got a copy of THE SAILMAKERS APPRENTICE last night in the mail. Of course I was up late reading it and the author (a sailmaker) repeated over and over that battans give sailmakers more repair work than any other single thing. I havent had battan problems in 30K miles of sailing, but I have had several friends that did. What do you sailmakers out there think of that? ____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 08:04   #25

Boat: 2010 Andrews 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacey16 View Post
Washing a laminate sail with Bleach!
Cleaning any sail (or line) with bleach is a NO NO!
But, sending a laminate sail to a commercial sail cleaner will have a similar effect. The structure of the sail will be compromised and may shred when stressed.
silversailor is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail